Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Triangles showing up on glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up our 2023 MYP last weekend, and today I noticed these weird triangle shapes on the passenger interior window showing up this morning as I waited with my kid in the car before school. Interior started fogging up and these became noticeable. When I got home, I tried using a magic eraser and also 99% rubbing alcohol to remove it but not having any luck. Anyone know what they are or what they are from? and also how I can remove them?

foggyTriangle.png

Someone had a similar issue with handwriting on the outside of the rear window. They finally got rid of it by cleaning the window with extra strength 30% vinegar.

Someone had a similar issue with handwriting on the outside of the rear window. They finally got rid of it by cleaning the window with extra strength 30% vinegar.

Thanks... I guess I'll have to try and get a hold of some 30%+ vinegar to give this a try

Don’t leave the vinegar on the glass, acids etch glass. I wouldn’t use 30% that’ll be more acid than the stuff in your kitchen . Remember acid rain can spot glass with little etched circles as the water evaporates making those tiny puddles of water more acid. For heaven’s sake don’t use that magic eraser unless you check on it and find that the abrasive is safe for glass. Next consider that the glass may have coatings that reflect heat and/or UV light. You wouldn’t want to damage that. I don’t know that you can but it’s a thought. Alkali compounds are used to remove optical coatings from telescope elements prior to recoating so I’d avoid baking soda until you know it is safe.. I know, too much about telescopes, but that’s what I know.

I’d clean the windows with a glass cleaner, my favorite is Invisible Glass. That stuff is amazing. Next I’d try acetone but be careful not to get any on any rubber or your paint. Manufacturers clean telescope elements with acetone prior to cementing the individual lenses into groups of lenses. After that I’d try RainX, it’s an acidified alcohol and I think it cleans the glass well. Next I might try an automotive non abrasive cleaner/wax. The
RainX and the car finish will make the windows more prone to fogging, though. If all that fails, I’d call Tesla. Tell them you don’t want those little triangles on your foggy glass.

I’m guessing but I think they’re probably from a plastic wrap that had been applied to the windows in the past. My second guess would be something to do with the molding process used to shape the glass. I think that’s unlikely though, I can’t imagine a glass manufacturer would want little triangles molded into their glass.

If you only see the triangles when the glass fogs, I might not be too aggressive. Your windows will not be fogged much when you are driving. We wouldn’t want the cure to be worse than the disease. So I’d try the gentle methods. And I suggest you never ever use Magic Eraser on any part of any car, ever. It may be that they use a soft abrasive but right now I don’t think so. Although if you do test it on your windows, let me know. I won’t use it but I’m a curious fellow, and if you’re doing potentially damaging experiments on your expensive new car I’ll certainly be interested in your results. Not only that but if things don’t go at all well, I may use your experiences as entertaining dinner conversation. So do send pictures.

Don’t leave the vinegar on the glass, acids etch glass. I wouldn’t use 30% that’ll be more acid than the stuff in your kitchen . Remember acid rain can spot glass with little etched circles as the water evaporates making those tiny puddles of water more acid. For heaven’s sake don’t use that magic eraser unless you check on it and find that the abrasive is safe for glass. Next consider that the glass may have coatings that reflect heat and/or UV light. You wouldn’t want to damage that. I don’t know that you can but it’s a thought. Alkali compounds are used to remove optical coatings from telescope elements prior to recoating so I’d avoid baking soda until you know it is safe.. I know, too much about telescopes, but that’s what I know.

I’d clean the windows with a glass cleaner, my favorite is Invisible Glass. That stuff is amazing. Next I’d try acetone but be careful not to get any on any rubber or your paint. Manufacturers clean telescope elements with acetone prior to cementing the individual lenses into groups of lenses. After that I’d try RainX, it’s an acidified alcohol and I think it cleans the glass well. Next I might try an automotive non abrasive cleaner/wax. The
RainX and the car finish will make the windows more prone to fogging, though. If all that fails, I’d call Tesla. Tell them you don’t want those little triangles on your foggy glass.

I’m guessing but I think they’re probably from a plastic wrap that had been applied to the windows in the past. My second guess would be something to do with the molding process used to shape the glass. I think that’s unlikely though, I can’t imagine a glass manufacturer would want little triangles molded into their glass.

If you only see the triangles when the glass fogs, I might not be too aggressive. Your windows will not be fogged much when you are driving. We wouldn’t want the cure to be worse than the disease. So I’d try the gentle methods. And I suggest you never ever use Magic Eraser on any part of any car, ever. It may be that they use a soft abrasive but right now I don’t think so. Although if you do test it on your windows, let me know. I won’t use it but I’m a curious fellow, and if you’re doing potentially damaging experiments on your expensive new car I’ll certainly be interested in your results. Not only that but if things don’t go at all well, I may use your experiences as entertaining dinner conversation. So do send pictures.
So this magic eraser... quite the debate lol..
I did a quick google before trying it and found various threads and youtubes from "auto detailers" suggesting to use these melamine (aka magic eraser) type sponges for cleaning automotive glass.

I did make sure to double check on an obscured edge area to see if there were any micro scratches, but couldn't find any, before proceeding on the main area of the triangle.

I'll probably just leave it be for now, unless the OCD kicks in...

Ha! I bought a Volvo station wagon once. Paid $2,000 for it, brought it home and parked it in the driveway. Overnight it got a little cold and when I went out in the morning I could see on the windshield how someone had recently written a price on the windshield with one of those white dauber things for doing your tennis shoes. I guess these put micro-scratches in the glass, too fine to see them normally, but they affect the condensation differently . . . and that's how I could see the earlier price was $1,650

Doh!

• Funny
Reactions: WyoDude
I’ve been reading about Magic Erasers. Kia recommends using them to clean the inside of windshields. How to clean the inside of a car windshield? | Kia British Dominica

“Use microfiber cloths to wipe the inside of the glass in a circular motion, then vertically. Next, use a magic eraser with water, using the same method. Lastly, spray glass cleaner on a microfiber cloth and wipe to finish.”

It’s a melamine foam. It is said to be as abrasive as 3000-5000 grit sandpaper. One detailer recommends using it but cautions it can damage tinted windows.

So is it safe for glass? It probably is. I can’t imagine Kia recommending a product that is likely to damage glass. People talk of it being soft to the touch but having a microstructure that’s hard, some say as hard as glass.

So, thanks for pointing out the errors in my post. Before this I’d thought it was a soft sponge with abrasive particles in it, now I know it is the sponge itself that’s microscopically abrasive. There have been posts from people using them on the car’s paint, plastic, interior leather substitutes, etc. I wouldn’t do that.

Glass itself comes in a bunch of different types, some are much softer, some harder. Auto window glass should be harder, I think. I don’t know why tinted glass should be different.

Would I try it for your windows? I might, but honestly I’d try the solvent cleaners first, the acetone. And the glass cleaner. If unsuccessful I’d try the magic eraser, perhaps as a last option.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes. I apologize for my previous Magic Eraser cautions.

Ha! I bought a Volvo station wagon once. Paid $2,000 for it, brought it home and parked it in the driveway. Overnight it got a little cold and when I went out in the morning I could see on the windshield how someone had recently written a price on the windshield with one of those white dauber things for doing your tennis shoes. I guess these put micro-scratches in the glass, too fine to see them normally, but they affect the condensation differently . . . and that's how I could see the earlier price was $1,650

Doh!
I’ll bet it is more a residue from that marker than it is scratches.

I’m cautious about glass. We had a front door with a large oval beveled glass window in it. We hired a good old boy handyman, and he decided he was going to clean that glass oval window with a razor blade. When he finished there were dozens of deep scratches In the window. Now, I’d thought razor blades were safe for use on glass, I’ve painted and used razor blades to clean off the paint from the corners of the glass windows without problems but this guy did a hatchet job on our front door window. I don’t know the difference in hardness between tempered glass and plain window glass but I do think there are differences in various types of glass. I knew a fellow in college, he was gettin a Ph.D. in ceramics. There’s a world of information about various types of glass. Glass doesn’t crystalize, it’s a super cooled liquid, and it will even flow over very long periods of time. OK, that’s all I know. Good luck but do be careful.