Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well THIS is interesting....200K max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can claim credits each year, and i believe someone posted at one time that you can even claim more than one 7500 credit per year (if your tax liability supported it.) They posted a picture of the line on the form where you could enter "vehicle two."

Seems like I was told I couldn't sell my Sig until 3 years were up, then the new car could be credited. Maybe it's only CA that doesn't allow a second rebate. I think it was "30 months" before you could apply again.

I still think what I said was correct...

The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”).

The phaseout takes place over:

- the one-year period
__beginning with the second calendar quarter__
__after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured___

How I read this is as follows...

200k Sale takes place the last day of CAL Q2 ... The next day begins the cut back to 1/2 rebate.
200k Sale takes place the FIRST day of CAL Q3 full discounts continue UNTIL Q2 of the following year.

OTHERWISE what is the point of SINGLING OUT the 2nd quarter?

"The key to maximizing the number of rebates is therefore two pieces - hitting the 200k car right at the beginning of a quarter, and being able to ramp up production as much as possible in the following two quarters."

Actually, even better is to be in full production ramp the previous quarter. Start stacking thousands of 3's on a lot and deliver them all the first day of the next quarter. :)

The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”).

- the one-year period
__after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured___

200k Sale takes place the last day of CAL Q2 ... The next day begins the cut back to 1/2 rebate.
200k Sale takes place the FIRST day of CAL Q3 full discounts continue UNTIL Q2 of the following year.

They aren't singling out the "second calendar quarter of the year", they are singling out the second "calendar" quarter after they hit 200k. (i.e. They don't want you to say that your quarters start 3/1 and go through 6/30 to get more people to qualify.)

- the one-year period

"Calendar quarter" just means one of the standard quarters (i.e. 1/1-3/31, 4/1-6/30, 7/1-9/30, and 10/1-12/31). So not a quarter that starts 2/1, 5/1, 8/1, etc. or some other arbitrary range. The phase out because the 2nd "calendar quarter" after 200k is reached. So if they "deliver" #200,000 to the US on 4/1 or 6/30 or somewhere between, the phase out begins 10/1 at 50% through 3/31 of the next year, and at 25% through 9/30.

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx and MP3Mike
Gonna be a rough (but fun) month at the Tesla sales offices if they queue up a bunch of cars for delivery early in the quarter.

if you are fortunate enough to be in that group, try to be nice to your local (or not so local) sales office when the time comes.

- the one-year period

It's the second quarter after the 200k car, not the second quarter of the year. So the credit will always drop between 91 and 180 days after the car is sold. If they meant the second quarter of the year, you'd see references to calendar year (CY) or fiscal year (FY) in that section of the description.

I get that...

Lets try this another way....

...credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period ++beginning with the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold...

Lets say the 200k car sells in year 2018

Now lets look at different dates of the 2018 sale.

The 200k car sells ON.

Q1 - Jan 1 2018... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" APR 1st of this 2018.
Q1 - Feb 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" APR 1st of this 2018.
Q1 - Mar 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" APR 1st of this 2018.
Q2 - Apr 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" Apr 2018?
Q2 - May 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" May 2018?
Q2 - Jun 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" June 2018?
Q3 - Jul 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" AKA - APR 1st 2019.
Q3 - Aug 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" AKA - APR 1st 2019.
Q3 - Sep 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" AKA - APR 1st 2019.
Q3 - Oct 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" AKA - APR 1st 2019.
Q3 - Nov 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" AKA - APR 1st 2019.
Q3 - Dec 1 ... phase out begins "the second calendar quarter AFTER the calendar quarter in which 200k sold" AKA - APR 1st 2019.

Am I still reading it wrong?

The *second* quarter. You've got the right idea, but I think all of your dates are 3 months early. If the last car is sold anywhere in first quarter, you get the rest of that quarter, then another full quarter, then it drops - so July 1st for Jan, Feb, March, and so forth.

Seems like I was told I couldn't sell my Sig until 3 years were up, then the new car could be credited. Maybe it's only CA that doesn't allow a second rebate. I think it was "30 months" before you could apply again.
For the CA rebate, you can sell it before the 30 months are up, but you have to pay back a prorated amount. ($2500/30 times the number of of months shy of 30

I did this when I upgraded my first Model S

So basically Tesla just has to ship the 200,000th car on the 1st day of a given calendar quarter and customers can basically take full credits for the next 3 quarters (the rest of the quarter in which they ship the 200,000th car plus the next two calendar quarters.). That could potentially be a lot of cars. They will want to focus on US sales for those 3 quarters because time is of the essence.

So basically Tesla just has to ship the 200,000th car on the 1st day of a given calendar quarter and customers can basically take full credits for the next 3 quarters (the rest of the quarter in which they ship the 200,000th car plus the next two calendar quarters.). That could potentially be a lot of cars. They will want to focus on US sales for those 3 quarters because time is of the essence.

No, I think it's just two quarters maximum after they hit 200k.

This sentence is just terribly confusing:

"The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles"

This means, the phase-out begins with the second calendar quarter after, not after the second calendar quarter after.

So, if they hit 200k in Q1, the first calendar quarter after is Q2. Thus, Q1 and Q2 are at $7500. The second calendar quarter after is Q3: any cars sold here will be in the phase-out period and thus are at $3750.

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx
One assumes Tesla would have manufacturing plants all over the place very soon, with more Gigafactories to follow them.

I would love to be in a Tesla planning meeting in the past week.

I hope to GOD that whoever was making that "Revenge of the Electric Car" movie is already working on the final piece of the trilogy: "The Rise of the Electric Car" (stolen title from /r/teslamotors) and they got into this Model 3 action early.

I want to see what was happening in their minds in these weeks....

No, I think it's just two quarters maximum after they hit 200k.

This sentence is just terribly confusing:

"The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles"

This means, the phase-out begins with the second calendar quarter after, not after the second calendar quarter after.

So, if they hit 200k in Q1, the first calendar quarter after is Q2. Thus, Q1 and Q2 are at $7500. The second calendar quarter after is Q3: any cars sold here will be in the phase-out period and thus are at $3750.

Yes, I think you're right. I didn't pay attention to the "beginning with" piece. So goal is still to hit 200,000 on the first day of the quarter to milk two full quarters.