Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We're a one-car, all-EV family now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Well, this morning was a big transition.

Last year my wife retired. Next year I will. We've had Wattney, our Model 3, for about 16 months. Since we got it, we have scarcely used our Prius any more. Usually we had to make a deliberate point of driving it now and then, just to keep it going. So with the love of our Tesla and our impending retirement totality, we decided it was time to say goodbye to our faithful Prius. Our daughter and son-in-law bought it, and she drove it away this morning, heading to its new home in Salt Lake City.

We are now a one-car household. And that one car is our Model 3! Okay, future, here we come...

Congrats. With the Model 3 I was able to sell off my Maxima and we're also an all EV family with a Model 3 and a Leaf. 300 miles on the Model 3 is ridiculous. It's been 18 months and I never once thought that I am short on battery. With EAP we took on more road trips than ever.

Reactions: CharleyBC
We sold our two cars. Hybrid and minivan for 3 and X. Only thing left that is gas is tractor (probably hiring people at this point so I’ll sell that), pressure washer and generator. Almost completely petroleum free. Luckily the washer and generator get used maybe once a year each, at most.

I agree with getzen. Not sure which is more impressive. 1 car two people. Amazing.

Congrats. I'd love to go down to one car and have less to pay for/license/wash/maintain, but my wife still works and we often go in different places (like to help take care of our parents, who each live a ways away in opposite directions; or for her camping trips with friends) so it looks like it is going to be a while before I can do that. In fact my wife would love to get a Cybertruck or Rivian or some electric van and make a camper out of it; that would be 3 vehicles...

We did go all-EV in 2009 and all-Tesla in 2012. We take at least one major road trip a year and have been across the country more than once - and we enjoy taking a Tesla more than we used to enjoy gas cars. We've never regretted going electric or had any problem getting where we wanted to go.

After buying my first Tesla, a Model S in 2013, the following year I sold my Porsche and bought a used Roadster. Have only driven EVs since that time, and now own an X and a 3 and no other cars.

A quality EV is clearly a superior car to an ICE as long as there is a properly designed and maintained high speed DC charging network available wherever you want to drive. And of course Tesla realized that such a network was critical years ago and started building it in 2012.

Reactions: RubberToe
Congrats. I'd love to go down to one car and have less to pay for/license/wash/maintain, but my wife still works and we often go in different places (like to help take care of our parents, who each live a ways away in opposite directions; or for her camping trips with friends) so it looks like it is going to be a while before I can do that. In fact my wife would love to get a Cybertruck or Rivian or some electric van and make a camper out of it; that would be 3 vehicles...

We did go all-EV in 2009 and all-Tesla in 2012. We take at least one major road trip a year and have been across the country more than once - and we enjoy taking a Tesla more than we used to enjoy gas cars. We've never regretted going electric or had any problem getting where we wanted to go.

You pay for washing your vehicles?

I'd love to go down to one car and have less to pay for/license/wash/maintain, but my wife still works and we often go in different places (like to help take care of our parents, who each live a ways away in opposite directions; or for her camping trips with friends) so it looks like it is going to be a while before I can do that.
I get that, and that’s why we stuck with two as long as we did. In our case it turned out to not matter as much as we thought, mainly because I commute by bike. Looking forward, we figure if we ever have a need for two cars, there’s always Lyft or a rental. The savings on owning a second car, and the proceeds of selling it should cover a lot of Lyft rides. In short, it works for us, or so we hope. ;)

Reactions: ChadS
We work from home and were a one-car family forever, until we got the Model 3. We keep our Volvo SUV for ski trips, but otherwise, I'd love to sell it.

Oh, we do have 3 other EVs... scooters! Mine will do 40 mph and is as good as a car in most cases -- California weather.

Well, this morning was a big transition.

Last year my wife retired. Next year I will. We've had Wattney, our Model 3, for about 16 months. Since we got it, we have scarcely used our Prius any more. Usually we had to make a deliberate point of driving it now and then, just to keep it going. So with the love of our Tesla and our impending retirement totality, we decided it was time to say goodbye to our faithful Prius. Our daughter and son-in-law bought it, and she drove it away this morning, heading to its new home in Salt Lake City.

We are now a one-car household. And that one car is our Model 3! Okay, future, here we come...

Don’t tell my wife. She adores the Tesla. I’d never have a car if all we had was “my” TESLA which we bought with her kicking and screaming. I’ve suggested we sell her Subaru Legacy and get another TESLA but ... “No, not now.”

We have always been a one-car household, even though both of us are working. Also, we don't have home charging at all, not even 120V. The public charging infrastructure around us makes this workable. Before we bought the Model 3 we had a Volt and we managed to do most of our miles on electricity alone.

Reactions: SMAlset
Way to go. We are on the way there. Right now we are a two EV family and have a Leaf and a Smart ED. We still have a diesel pusher and need to keep the smart ED as a toad. The time is coming when the diesel pusher will be sold and the need for the smart EV with it. It is a lot of fun as it is a convertible. But yah. The long term plan is to be a single car (EV) household.

Any buyers. :) We call this EV our "diesel pusher". Sorry. I'll see myself out. :)

39584071945_5ddcee6d61_k.jpg

38322702145_666f9a0b49_k.jpg

By the way, I failed to mention this in my OP, but the Supercharger network is a huge factor in our willingness to go to a single car. We plan to be on the move a lot in retirement, visiting family, seeing national parks, driving the TCH, etc. The increasing spread of Superchargers across North America gives us confidence that we can comfortably make all those travels.

Reactions: SMAlset
Just joined the EV family 4 months ago (got a 2016 Model S75D). Still have a gas/hybrid car for the occasional drive when both my wife and I have to out at the same time (not very often as I work from home). For the little mileage that goes on the hybrid (2006 Honda Civic), it's just not worthwhile splurging for another EV that would not get driven a whole lot.

Will never go back to a gas car ever. My reasons are more the "fun" factor of a Tesla and the constant/never ending Tesla grin.