Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

West of Scotland / Outer Hebrides road trip in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post lockdown and if/when restrictions ease, we may well venture north to visit family / friends in the Scottish Borders / Glasgow and then head further north for a road trip. Thinking up past Oban and then over to Lewis/Harris.

Having done the Borders / Glasgow route before I know that’s all fine from a charging perspective. And I know that Chargeplace Scotland have reasonable coverage generally.

But I’m keen to hear of any real world Tesla owner experiences and advice for this particular route. Charging advice, recommendations for accommodation with charging facilities close by, that type of thing.

What you got folks?

Post lockdown and if/when restrictions ease, we may well venture north to visit family / friends in the Scottish Borders / Glasgow and then head further north for a road trip. Thinking up past Oban and then over to Lewis/Harris.

Having done the Borders / Glasgow route before I know that’s all fine from a charging perspective. And I know that Chargeplace Scotland have reasonable coverage generally.

But I’m keen to hear of any real world Tesla owner experiences and advice for this particular route. Charging advice, recommendations for accommodation with charging facilities close by, that type of thing.

What you got folks?
I did Glasgow Skye and back in October Fast Chargers in Fort William and on Skye defo buy a Chargeplace Scotland Card for £20 it'll pay for itself on your first Charge. Use Zap Map to find other Fast Chargers and take your 3 Pin Cable as backup or for use at Relatives gets you100 Miles Overnight so quite helpful. There are Superchargers in Motherwell just outside of Glasgow which are little used no queue ever and also useful others in Aviemore which might be helpful, enjoy your Trip !

• Informative
Reactions: interbear
Charge place Scotland now have tariffs on most of their chargers now though

I don't think "most" yet, as far as I'm aware (even though some areas have started and some are reviewing their positions). Worth checking depending on area/route because it is the host of the site that determines whether there is a charge to the customer not actually ChargePlaceScotland. Of course in city areas there are lots of chargers that are not CPS so have the usual mix of pricing arrangements.

I did Glasgow Skye and back in October Fast Chargers in Fort William and on Skye defo buy a Chargeplace Scotland Card for £20 it'll pay for itself on your first Charge. Use Zap Map to find other Fast Chargers and take your 3 Pin Cable as backup or for use at Relatives gets you100 Miles Overnight so quite helpful. There are Superchargers in Motherwell just outside of Glasgow which are little used no queue ever and also useful others in Aviemore which might be helpful, enjoy your Trip !

Thx. Have used that supercharger before I think - at the Dakota hotel, Eurocentral, just off the M8?

We had a week on Skye last year in a nice modern place for two. We loved it so much we’re hoping to go back for two weeks in September.

Charging was no problem, and that was in the Kona last year, so no Superchargers.

Just remember to get some Smidge midge repellant - I was a tasty snack for them last year!

If you are planning the Outer Hebrides I would be interested in how your research goes. I read recently that the Western Isles council has now decided to charge for charging at the Chargeplace Scotland chargers - not that this is so important. The bigger issue is how easy it is to find a charger on the islands when you need one. I may try a trip myself once we are allowed to move freely in Scotland - if so will provide feedback. It would be good if the Fort William superchargers were operational soon. Does anyone know how far off they are from opening?

Reactions: Roy W.

What you got folks?

I had it all booked to go from Oxfordshire to Gretna,Strontian,Skye,Harris,Lewis and then NC500 last March..It all has been put back to March 2021..Going to East coast in 3 weeks though.I was up in Scotland earlier in the year and Chargeplace Scotland and Superchargers were flawless.

have a good one.

I was interested in doing the nc500 this year but not sure when that's likely to happen.
Have some time of in July but doubt things will have reopened by then.

Also I heard that charge place Scotland has started to cost for charging?

Look further up this thread. Certain local authorities are starting to charge for using CPS chargers, but at the moment the majority are still free. Zap Map is your friend.

... and even those that have introduced charging are not being silly about it ... still worth getting the ChargePlaceScotland card to make life easier if you are travelling around (the app may not connect in some areas).

Reactions: Roy W.