Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's focus seems to be elsewhere.

Well, out of the 30 known Superchargers under construction, 20 of them are in North America. I think it takes for longer to build them in North America than it does in several other countries, from the site selection and grid capacity, landlord/contractor negotiations through permitting and electrical hookup. It seems these things move slower in NA.

Tesla's focus has always been elsewhere, and despite a little progress on a handfull of Canadian sites, I don't think that has changed. Some countries have had superchargers before they had deliveries, and yet You still can't drive between Vancouver and Calgary, and there aren't even any plans to be able to drive from Calgary to anywhere east or south.

My bigger worry than the delays on these superchargers is the complete lack of any indication that Tesla plans to build any more in Canada after these few are done.

Tesla's focus has always been elsewhere, and despite a little progress on a handfull of Canadian sites, I don't think that has changed. Some countries have had superchargers before they had deliveries, and yet You still can't drive between Vancouver and Calgary, and there aren't even any plans to be able to drive from Calgary to anywhere east or south.

My bigger worry than the delays on these superchargers is the complete lack of any indication that Tesla plans to build any more in Canada after these few are done.

Three well placed Superchargers between Calgary, AB and Butte, MT would connect Western Canada to Eastern Canada via the almost complete I-90 route across the northern U.S.

Calgary, AB, Canada to Butte, Mt - Google Maps

Hi there, thanks for reaching out. Tesla is currently working with multiple property owners on land title and rights-of-way issues before station can be energized. We're continuing to support Tesla as they work thru this process as quickly as possible [BC Hydro tweet]

Hello Mike,

Telsa started dealing with the District of Hope earlier in the year. As a result of our discussions, we determined that no Land Use or Building permits would be required for their proposal except for a driveway access permit which they obtained immediately. Since then, we have had little involvement with their charging station; however, we have heard a few rumours. One was that there was a problem with their zoning but this is false as we do not have concerns with the land use.

If some sort of municipal zoning/bylaw issue standing in the way of obtaining power, then I’m sure BC Hydro would have contacted the District of Hope first. There is one possible problem which is that the parking lot consists of two lots. BC Hydro usually requires an easement to have power lines cross property lines even though the properties are owned by the same person; however, I do not know if this is the case. Regardless, Telsa was advised of this potential problem back on June 2014.

I contacted Telsa directly and they reported that they are still waiting for BC Hydro. They stated that all the paperwork has been completed and their station is ready to go once they have power. They did not have an indication as to when BC Hydro will make the connection.

I’m afraid that’s about all the information I have at this point in time. Telsa did apologize for the delay and are just as anxious for the opening as we are. I hope it is resolved quickly.

Regards,

Scott Misumi, A.Sc.T.
Director of Community Development
District of Hope

It seems odd to me that Hope expects BC Hydro to contact them if there is a zoning issue, yet BC Hydro places all the blame squarely on Tesla. It's nice to see though, that BC Hydro is "continuing to support Tesla" -- which tells us absolutely nothing. Instead of feeding us that garbage, we should be told what BC Hydro is doing to support Tesla -- but that's too much to ask from a tax payer and rate payer funded Crown Corporation. We must be satisfied with meaningless tweets while they mismanage Crown resources and pay themselves excessive bonuses for doing so.

Three well placed Superchargers between Calgary, AB and Butte, MT would connect Western Canada to Eastern Canada via the almost complete I-90 route across the northern U.S.

That sounds good to me. It seems that as more and more Teslas are sold into Canada, the Chargers will come. I have a Nissan Leaf with a Chademo plug. That car has never been connected to a Chademo charger since we've had it for three years. It's encouraging to me to see Tesla chargers being deployed in Canada. I'm confident we will see more.

Having suffered with a lack of public charging infrastructure here with a Leaf, I'm very excited to see what's possible with our new S85D. It is getting better all the time though! With Tesla superchargers, and the Sun Country chargers I'm seeing great thing happening, perfect time for our purchase.

Now how to wait patiently for our anticipated receive date of FEB/MAR.

That would be a start. It would be even nicer to have the Trans-Canada highway done.

And what about eastern Canada? There's nothing planned beyond Quebec city.

And the extreme west? Vancouver Island has about one million residents, and a tourist destination on the west side, which could all be serviced by adding just one Supercharger near Nanaimo. It's not in the plans at all.

I know that a lot of the U.S. is currently not covered, but at least they have plans to cover it.

It seems odd to me that Hope expects BC Hydro to contact them if there is a zoning issue, yet BC Hydro places all the blame squarely on Tesla. It's nice to see though, that BC Hydro is "continuing to support Tesla" -- which tells us absolutely nothing. Instead of feeding us that garbage, we should be told what BC Hydro is doing to support Tesla -- but that's too much to ask from a tax payer and rate payer funded Crown Corporation. We must be satisfied with meaningless tweets while they mismanage Crown resources and pay themselves excessive bonuses for doing so.

Perhaps there really is some asinine issue that Tesla is dealing with on the landowner's side that Hope and BC Hydro truly have no bearing on. Tesla is really the only entity here that should know exactly what's going on here so it would be nice if they would be transparent about it. Maybe I'm talking to the wrong person at Tesla -- anyone have any contacts there that might know more?

That would be a start. It would be even nicer to have the Trans-Canada highway done.

That would be amazing, but somehow I doubt it will happen. We'll have east-west connection, but I bet in the foreseeable future only through the USA.

And what about eastern Canada? There's nothing planned beyond Quebec city.

They've never promised anything else in Canada. I don't know if they have plans to extend the network beyond the current 2014 map. One can hope. (At the very least they should properly fill in the 401 corridor with a station near Cobourg/Belleville, as they originally promised!)

And the extreme west? Vancouver Island has about one million residents, and a tourist destination on the west side, which could all be serviced by adding just one Supercharger near Nanaimo. It's not in the plans at all.

Vancouver Island is fairly well covered with Level II, which helps... but yes a mid-island Supercharger would do the job, I would think.

Honestly, although this will work, in the long run, it's not going to cut it...Tesla will eventually have to link Canada within Canada...anything less is unacceptable...

Our low population density and lack of incentives are against us.
I think I saw a slide somewhere on here that suggested canada has the second highest number of Teslas, second only to the U.S. I guess we might have less potential future sales and vast distances to cover but I still think our numbers should warrant more attention than we've been getting. I'm hopeing that with AWD our numbers will go up enough to warrant some more attention.

Tesla will eventually have to link Canada within Canada...anything less is unacceptable...
In earlier years I enjoyed a number of visits to both Western Canada and Eastern Canada, and would be happy to see another route across North America that enables SC access in SK and MB. I can't blame Canadians for wanting to avoid having to cross the border to make that trip. That said, I'm looking forward to eventually driving a Tesla through your beautiful country to Alaska, and wouldn't mind having a few more Superchargers covering at least part of the distance. Also, years ago, I found it convenient to drive through southern Ontario between Michigan and upstate New York.

Vancouver Island is fairly well covered with Level II, which helps... but yes a mid-island Supercharger would do the job, I would think.

I don't see how it helps. It isn't feasible to drive from Victoria to Tofino and back, unless you happen to be staying at a very (and I mean very) expensive resort which happens to have a level 2 charger. Ditto for going up-island - you'll be waiting for hours if you go as far as Courtenay.

30 km of range per hour of charging.

Need I say more?

Tesla will eventually have to link Canada within Canada...anything less is unacceptable...

Why? When I drive from Winnipeg to Toronto, I go through the US every time. A US company is not obliged to satisfy Canadian nationalist sentiments.

Anyone who has ever made an online purchase knows that things in Canada are frequently slower, more expensive and more limited than the US equivalent. I guess that includes building superchargers. I'll leave the question of why that is as an exercise for the student.

I don't see how it helps. It isn't feasible to drive from Victoria to Tofino and back, unless you happen to be staying at a very (and I mean very) expensive resort which happens to have a level 2 charger. Ditto for going up-island - you'll be waiting for hours if you go as far as Courtenay.

30 km of range per hour of charging.

Need I say more?

I took the ferry to the island in August. Stayed at a hotel with a Sun Country Charger. Drove to Port Alberni, and Tofino with no issues at all. You just have to plan for it.

Why? When I drive from Winnipeg to Toronto, I go through the US every time. A US company is not obliged to satisfy Canadian nationalist sentiments.

You seem to be forgetting that there are people who live in Canada who don't live in B.C., Alberta, Ontario or Quebec.

So someone who owns a Tesla in Saskatchewan, or Nova Scotia, simply can't use it for (reasonable) long-distance travel? Whereas someone who lives north of the Arctic circle in Norway can?

- - - Updated - - -

The Sun Country Highway map shows Quite a few CS-90 stations on Vancouver Island. 70 kph or more.

That's presuming the car has dual chargers. So your argument boils down to spending more in order to get less. I'm talking about ONE Supercharger, just one. One would make a huge difference.

So someone who owns a Tesla in Saskatchewan, or Nova Scotia, simply can't use it for (reasonable) long-distance travel? Whereas someone who lives north of the Arctic circle in Norway can?

I'm just saying that Tesla is neither a public utility nor a charity. I don't expect them to install superchargers where it does not make economic sense to them. The value proposition of owning a Tesla in Saskatoon is different from that of LA and will be for a long time to come. I understand how much a supercharger can benefit those nearby, but intensity of desire is not a business case.

I'm just saying that Tesla is neither a public utility nor a charity. I don't expect them to install superchargers where it does not make economic sense to them.

They are, however, a company with an environmental conscience. Indeed, they regularly publish a statistic for the amount of CO2 saved by Supercharging. Therefore, it's ironic that Canada has so few Superchargers when you consider that the electricity there is much cleaner than in the USA. Quebec leads North America in least CO2 produced per kWh generated, but doesn't have any Superchargers yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? When I drive from Winnipeg to Toronto, I go through the US every time.

Have you done this since 9/11? The Detroit/Windsor crossing is a mess.