Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Sydney University charging (Now restricted)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if you have a Chargefox RFID card?
This thread is getting WAY OT, but anyway, I'd assume it wouldn't work as CF has removed themselves from these chargers. But I believe at the moment, you can just plug in and they'll work.

Back OT, I'll be driving past the Campbelltown site again at some point today so I'll try to have a gander at the progress.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I'd assume it wouldn't work as CF has removed themselves from these chargers.
Are you sure they haven't just marked them as private? Chargefox already runs lots of private chargers that don't appear publicly in their app in places like apartment buildings. I believe you have to have access added to your account by the charger owner to see them.

Are you sure they haven't just marked them as private? Chargefox already runs lots of private chargers that don't appear publicly in their app in places like apartment buildings. I believe you have to have access added to your account by the charger owner to see them.

🤷🏼‍♂️

1079710.jpg

The signage is irrelevant. The site was removed from the Chargefox app, so you can't activate the charger without special access.
I rode my bike to the Campbelltown WSU chargers this morning. No change to signs. Still says 60 minute limit parking. A couple of cars were charging there and neither driver knew anything about the new restrictions. Until they change the signs I can’t see how they could fine anybody.
If these chargers were level 2 chargers I could justify the restrictions. These are very expensive dc chargers that are at least partly funded by taxpayers. To restrict this type of infrastructure to a small number of people is not justified in my opinion. For sure charge normal charge fox fees but don’t cut access to the majority. Our infrastructure is in the early stages so we need access to every charger we can get.

I don't think they are going to fine anyone. I think they just no longer want huge hoards of people from outside of the community to come in and use it, it was getting crazy at some campuses. These will now just be used by mostly staff and students and those in the local community that know about them. Its a university to serve the community, not subsidize uber drivers and amazon delivery drivers 24/7 so much it disrupts normal university operations. University does have legitimate people come in from the community and industry, so if you are at the campus for a reasonable reason that is fine. Like the university library, you can enter and read in there even if you arent' a student/staff, just be nice.

Security can remove you from the campus if you don't have a legitimate reason. So be nice, be friendly, be respectful. Universities are often ambiguous places.

These are very expensive dc chargers that are at least partly funded by taxpayers. To restrict this type of infrastructure to a small number of people is not justified in my opinion
Thats funny. Next you will say they should offer free parking in Parramatta to everyone. It doesn't work that way. WSU is being pretty reasonable, and it is an investment in infrastructure. Lobby more universities to install free EV charging at Sydney uni, nswu, Maq, NewU, WongU etc.

Eventually I think they will place them in positions that make more sense for the public, if it brings foot traffic into on campus shops and facilities. Think about how nice it would be if these campuses had chargers, and a coffee shop/lounge/susibar with wifi, an arcade machine, bean bags a 2D colour laser/ 3D printer facilities. But these would be located on the edge of the campus and outward facing. Even better, make it a car pool/uber pickup point.

Thats funny. Next you will say they should offer free parking in Parramatta to everyone. It doesn't work that way. WSU is being pretty reasonable, and it is an investment in infrastructure. Lobby more universities to install free EV charging at Sydney uni, nswu, Maq, NewU, WongU campus shops and facilities. Think about how nice it would be if these campuses had chargers, and a coffee shop/lounge/susibar with wifi, an arcade machine, bean bags a 2D colour laser/ 3D printer facilities. But these would be located on the edge of the campus and outward facing. Even better, make it a car pool/uber pickup point.
I also said “ For sure charge normal charge fox fees but don’t cut access to the majority. Our infrastructure is in the early stages so we need access to every charger we can get.” So I don’t know what makes you think I expect them to be free I just think they should be made available to every ev driver not just a privileged few. For sure charge a fee though. Anyway I ride my pushbike near the chargers three times a week and nothing seems to have changed so far. Still seems to be the same evs using them.

WSU has constructed solar canopies at Parramatta, ditched the Tritiums and installed two new Autel chargers.

One big, one little, seemingly both 2x CCS2.

Signage now staff and student only (no 6pm-6am public access)

A similar canopy and printed Staff and Student signage has also been installed at Richmond/ Hawkesbury.

And Kingswood/ Penrith

And similar signage at Campbeltown (no canopy)

Last edited:
WSU has constructed solar canopies at Parramatta, ditched the Tritiums and installed two new Autel chargers.

One big, one little, seemingly both 2x CCS2.

Signage now staff and student only (no 6pm-6am public access)

A similar canopy and printed Staff and Student signage has also been installed at Richmond/ Hawkesbury.
I assume the student (and staff) ID cards are RFID - I'm surprised they haven't just set up authentication so that the chargers only activate for approved cards.

Or, use an app to authenticate and start charging.