Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Sydney University charging (Now restricted)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

moa999

2020 3 SR+ MSM
Mar 4, 2020
Sydney, AUS
We'd previously discussed this in the NSW EV Master thread, but given their expansion thought it deserved it's own thread.

Unlike a few government authorities, and charging operators, someone at WSU gets it.

Screenshot_20221004-202714~2.png

Yes.. that's a Dual CCS2 machine in dual mode.

Photo from Plugshare at Rydalmere campus (near Parramatta) but machines have also arrived at their other three sites.

I note the Payter terminal which maybe suggests they will implement charging. The older machines are listed on Chargefox but currently free.

Locations for these on the Uni website

Last edited:
Well the free ride for some is over, with WSU adding the following note to Chargefox at all four site - Hawkesbury, Kingswood, Campbelltown and Parramatta South

Be interesting to see how they implement it (eg. Scanning Uni ID card, or just security patrol)

Screenshot_20230215-165026.png

Biggest loss probably at Windsor/ Hawkesbury where it was the only DC charger in the area.

The other campuses had alternative paid options nearby.

Last edited:
I regularly drive past the Parramatta WSU site and you can get a good view from James Ruse Drive of the chargers. I always try to check what is happening there but hard to tell as the carpark is usually full. Lately though I reckon they have been getting hammered. This past Sunday at around 9.30am there were 5-6 cars there, so 3 waiting to charge, pretty sure a couple of BYD Atto, polestar and 2 Tesla's (I wasn't driving so had a good view and the carpark was empty as wasn't a school day)

I think the Uni have gotten sick of the constant cars coming in and out if that is any indication and I can't blame them either.

Agree that they should have just started charging for public and that would sort out the free loaders. Feel sorry for anyone that actually needs an emergency charge. I would be more than happy to pay if I was in desperate need. Hopefully one day they can bring them back with a market rate for just this type of backup.

Anyway the dots disappeared from Plugshare at 5pm last night
They're still there, but the sites are now marked as Restricted, if you don't have that enabled in your filters then you won't see them.
Interestingly, 2 people checked in at Campbelltown after COB, not likely they're staff or students. (1 seems to be very regular, almost Uber like) So hopefully security will start to check the chargers more often.

Woops. Meant disappeared from Chargefox, not Plugshare. No restricted setting in the Chargefox app from what I can see.

I made a few changes on Plugshare yesterday, and reported the other sites with locked descriptions which got updated overnight.

Unsure how those people managed to charge at Campbeltown unless one of the stalls went on free vend. No check-ins at Rydalmere/Parramatta.

Nope. WSU got angry and snapped, and all their 50kW chargers are now for staff and students only.

I can see why they get angry, there's nothing more demanding than a "customer" using you for free stuff. I've learnt this myself in business, and it's plainly visible in the plugshare checkins at any free charger.

But I never understood their long term end-game anyway.

1. Why would they want to encourage randoms onto their properties for charging? Especially when they are historically so stringent on their parking pass rules due to lack of parking.
2. A charging network for staff and students would be much better served by having 5 times as many 11kW chargers (or 10 times as many 5kW chargers even) than a couple of 50kW at each site.

I just phoned WSU security and they know nothing about such restrictions. Only the 60 minute parking limit.
It is no longer publicly listed in Chargefox. It has been marked restricted in plugshare, but given that is crowd sourced, it is unknown who made those changes. It may be possible to activate if the modems are offline and it is default always on mode. But given that indications that it is no longer public I would not try myself.

Also see discussion here Western Sydney University charging network

Reactions: Hairyman
It is no longer publicly listed in Chargefox. It has been marked restricted in plugshare, but given that is crowd sourced, it is unknown who made those changes. It may be possible to activate if the modems are offline and it is default always on mode. But given that indications that it is no longer public I would not try myself.

Also see discussion here Western Sydney University charging network
I'll be near there tomorrow so i'll check for any change to the signs. Back to the main topic.

Reactions: Hairyman