Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wh/mi refresh rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool. Thanks Chris. We plan on taking some trips in our soon-to-be delivered MY that will traverse some areas with notorious headwinds. It will be helpful to know what those effects will be to determine charging stops.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Cool. Thanks Chris. We plan on taking some trips in our soon-to-be delivered MY that will traverse some areas with notorious headwinds. It will be helpful to know what those effects will be to determine charging stops.

The car is very good at warning you about these things live as well. If you leave with a destination set and it says you'll get there with 15%, and 10 minutes into the drive you're using way more power than estimated, it'll tell you to slow down or route you to a closer charger (if routed to a SC).

The car is very good at warning you about these things live as well. If you leave with a destination set and it says you'll get there with 15%, and 10 minutes into the drive you're using way more power than estimated, it'll tell you to slow down or route you to a closer charger (if routed to a SC).

That is good to know. We often encounter headwinds as we travel across Wyoming so having an accurate efficiency will be very helpful seeing as charging options are few and far between.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Yesterday going from NJ to NH. A Better Route Planner said I'd need to supercharge to make it.
The car, however, was happy with going straight through. Got to the town with the last supercharger with 20% left. The car was happy. At that point, almost all highway (70 mph) miles, it said the car averaged 313 wh/mi. My last part is on back roads and much slower (35 or 50 mph), so although my brain was screaming just add 10%, I pressed on. I had 26 miles to go. According to the rough calculations I did, I thought I could make it. The last 26 miles, the average was roughly 200 wh/mi even though there were some hills. I arrived with 14%. The car was correct and with the slower speeds the car performed great. I didn't find the graph until this morning, but sadly the picture I took of it has a flash splash and you can't see much of it.

Yesterday going from NJ to NH. A Better Route Planner said I'd need to supercharge to make it.
The car, however, was happy with going straight through. Got to the town with the last supercharger with 20% left. The car was happy. At that point, almost all highway (70 mph) miles, it said the car averaged 313 wh/mi. My last part is on back roads and much slower (35 or 50 mph), so although my brain was screaming just add 10%, I pressed on. I had 26 miles to go. According to the rough calculations I did, I thought I could make it. The last 26 miles, the average was roughly 200 wh/mi even though there were some hills. I arrived with 14%. The car was correct and with the slower speeds the car performed great. I didn't find the graph until this morning, but sadly the picture I took of it has a flash splash and you can't see much of it.

I think a lot of us newer Tesla owners will experience the brain scream for the first few extended road trips. Most of our trips will be in the mountain west where super chargers are a little far in between. It will take a few trip to trust the planning software in the car. Good for you for ignoring the screaming. An added wrinkle is finding the intended super charger out of service. I guess I need to be proactive on this kind of trip so I won’t be surprised by a super charger that is down for maintenance. I assume the trip planner in the car will avoid this situation? Trust but verify I guess.

Reactions: Puma2020
That is good to know. We often encounter headwinds as we travel across Wyoming so having an accurate efficiency will be very helpful seeing as charging options are few and far between.
I-80 is a bitch with those winds!!! Drove to Jackson Hole from Denver last year and it was blowing 50 as a head wind and we were going 70. Almost ripped the Thule roof box off my friends car!

I-80 is a bitch with those winds!!! Drove to Jackson Hole from Denver last year and it was blowing 50 as a head wind and we were going 70. Almost ripped the Thule roof box off my friends car!

The wind in WY is BRUTAL! I can guarantee you that I will routinely charge beyond what the planner says is required. So it will be good to know that the graph updates in a timely manner to see the current efficiency. I will not be installing my Thule when traversing the Cowboy State.

Reactions: aburrows