Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean like this? (yes, this is my car):

Yes, that. Pretty much exactly that, but with maybe more "supporting apparatus" around it to make it even more visually interesting and intellectually confusing to the haterz. ;) To be clear: I was quite certain I wasn't the first to come up with this idea. There seems to be a higher proportion of nerds in the Tesla population than the general population. :)

Reactions: HankLloydRight
One very real consequence to EV's is the inevitable end to the battery. Properly stored, an ICE car can be left for decades then restarted with little effort (I've done it several times). A Tesla left for decades will need a new battery pack. Over time as batteries become cheaper, that will be less of an issue, but it's still going to be roughly equivalent in cost and effort to replacing the engine in an ICE car. Mad Max will be screwed if all he can dig up is EV's.

This from a guy driving a muscle car talking to someone after seeing my Model 3. “Yeah you know those cars have zero torque right?”
It is incumbent upon the manufacturers of electric cars to educate the public about them if they ever want to have signify adoption of them. We seekers k ow these things, the casual car owner simply cares about getting from Point A to Point B safely, efficiently. “Dumb” statements are possibly uninformed ones.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Isn't that kind of true?
It is in the back of every EV owners mind
120,00 mile/8 year warranty

It is quite possible I'll mile out of that warranty after 3 years, but I'm something close to an extreme in that. As well it is unlikely that the vehicle will need a battery replacement until years past that, I expect 250,000 miles life at least.

Hard to say for sure what a battery pack replacement price will be 6 years form now but given the trajectory of battery manufacturing costs and the number of Model 3s that'll be around to support a market for them, it is reasonable to assume it'll cost well below $100/kWh. If the car is still holding together enough to justify say a $5000 battery pack I've got to say I'll be rather happy about my lifetime costs for the vehicle. Another, say, 100,000 miles in a vehicle of this quality for $5000? Sold!

Reactions: Runt8
I was at a car show with my Model X, doors up...
when I was approached by a friendly guy and his friend

Guy: “oh my god.. I can’t believe a TESLA is
here?!!?! This is great. Dude, this is my dream car. I have a picture of this exact car on my desk where I work. One day I hope I’ll have it. I’ve watched so many videos on this one car!

Me: “Glad you like it! Feel free to sit inside, ask me any questions you have”

Guy: “So how much do you have to charge on trips..?”

Me: “Not much more than I would normally stop anyway...”

Guy: “I see. And it’s a 6-Cylinder, right?

Me: “I’m sorry...?”

Guy: “oh wow it’s an 8 cylinder?”

If I run into this with my 3LR, I'm going to insist it's a 4,416-cylinder ;)

Maybe this was posted somewhere in the middle... however, somebody asked me about the car's sound pack. I said it had a great sound system. He said "no... the engine sound they have to make so you don't hit pedestrians."

Well, this one is technically true... although they aren't exactly "engine" noises: Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia

Well, this one is technically true... although they aren't exactly "engine" noises: Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia
And they're also "not yet" and also "never" for any vehicle on the road right now that doesn't have one. Does anyone ship with this, other than the iPace's goofy one? Or is the iPace one only interior sound?

Has Tesla released anything about what sound it is going to use?

And they're also "not yet" and also "never" for any vehicle on the road right now that doesn't have one. Does anyone ship with this, other than the iPace's goofy one? Or is the iPace one only interior sound?

Has Tesla released anything about what sound it is going to use?

According to the linked wiki, "most" hybrids, PHEVs, and EVs use them. Good chart here: Market Availability

Interestingly, Tesla along with BMW and VW and the only manufacturers that are waiting until they become mandatory to fit them.

According to the linked wiki, "most" hybrids, PHEVs, and EVs use them. Good chart here: Market Availability

Interestingly, Tesla along with BMW and VW and the only manufacturers that are waiting until they become mandatory to fit them.
That's interesting....I currently drive a 2013 Prius (unfortunately) and it doesn't make any "warning sound", never has. The chart says it should make a noise continuously at any speed under 15mph. For those of you have ever been cursed enough to drive or ride in a Prius you will however be more than familiar with the stupid beeping noise it makes when you put it in reverse. Kinda like a big delivery truck, but it only makes the noise on the inside. What kind of idiotic crap is that. Hate that car.....

Haha I don’t know if he owns it or is a manager but he’s a much older guy that had worked there for YEARS. But after him being rude to me constantly I went to a gas station a block away (this was when Model 3’s first started delivering so people got excited to see them) when I walked inside there was 3 cashiers and they all asked me questions about my car and seemed curious. Then they told me the owner is actually picking up his Model 3 this weekend. The guy owns a gas station and bought a EV.
Well I own stock in things that don't smoke, I mean use, but people do so.......