TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What’s with summons being in beta?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dmagyar, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Dmagyar

Dmagyar Member

Have a new model three, delivered 8/3/18, went to use summons to move the car out of the garage and found it was still in the beta phase, anyone know why this is “beta”?

2. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

EAP is in beta.....

3. Haxster

Haxster Member

'cuz u got to "bet a" garage door not getting smashed every time you use it. :eek:

• Funny x 1
  4. Tam

Tam Active Member

Yes, that's exactly what it means!

It works pretty well if you know how to stop it when it's ready to get into a collision.

If you don't watch it carefully, it can crash at any moment.

Tesla does not pay for damages of your car, garage doors, structures, wall...

It has been a few years now and Tesla is still working on it with no timeline for finishing it.

• Funny x 2
  5. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Summon is the Model 3 feature that allows you to move your car in and out of tight spaces without a driver at the wheel. A summons is when you are ordered to appear in court.

Sorry, I’m not trying to be a jerk, this is just a giant peeve of mine.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. Dmagyar

Dmagyar Member

Gulp, you got me, but I did get a useful answer.

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Another reason that it’s considered beta, half the time my Tesla app just gets stuck on “connecting to your car” and I have to make several attempts to actually get the summon screen loaded completely. It’s also quite finicky going into my garage, it will often stop itself an inch or two before actually entering the garage and then I need to issue the summon command again and only then will it actually pull into my garage. Still quite buggy in my opinion, hence the beta tag.

• Funny x 1
  8. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Things like that are going to be permanent beta because it's always going to be evolving. Like right now it uses the ultrasonic sensors, and then in some future version it will use the cameras as well.

It doesn't really matter if someone uses the beta tag. The fact is that it's essentially SW as a service model similar to Windows 10. Where there will be constant updates to fix things, add features, and likely break things.

It doesn't hold much meaning to me whether the beta tag is there or not.

I know it's a feature that requires supervision, and that with the senor set it has it will always require supervision. So I make sure I'm always there at the ready in case it screws up.

9. Dmagyar

Dmagyar Member

Your comments about constant attention are noted, I questioned this (beta connotation) as I don’t necessarily want to unleash this and have my wife encounter a problem expecting the car to do one thing and it ending up doing something else.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

No connotation whatsoever.

It IS in beta. Use at your own risk. I could imagine using it if I was unable to get into the car, e.g the car is boxed in by other cars, and then only with VERY close supervision.

11. Dmagyar

Dmagyar Member

Thanks, with all the wordsmiths here it will up my game also.