Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s your main reason for buying a MYLR or MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you asking why we chose one versus the other?

I chose the long range version because it's still the fastest car I've ever owned and I never drove any of the previous ones to their limit. More range, less cost.

If you're asking why I chose a Model Y instead of anything else ...

I promised myself in 2008 that my Jeep JKU would be the last internal combustion engine car I'd ever buy. And the Model Y was the most cost effective useful EV available in 2020.

Just ordered on the 16th

But my 3 was totaled and I have to purchase new car within 180 days to be able to get the sales tax credit from the 3.

So performance it is….which is a bummer bc I much rather have LR with 20” and 7 seats….but I imagine “settling” for the performance fits under the first world problems category 😂

Your question is ambiguous but I'll interpret it as "Why did you get one of either of these cars". I'll also ignore the fact that you didn't even offer my answer as an option. So, answers.

1-5: The Supercharger network.

When I bought it (June 2020), it did have better range than anything else that would carry what I need, other than a Model X, which is too expensive for the likes of me. So the choice was dead easy. There are a lot more worthy competitors now, but my first five reasons are still the network. I want to use it for long trips, and even now 2 years later the non-Tesla charging situation remains far inferior. At the time there was no competition at all.

I purchased the Performance, and here's why:
For the extra $5,000, you get a faster car, brembo brakes, rear spoiler (which adds to the looks, in my opnion), much nicer looking wheels and matrix headlights.

You give up some range, and you end up with a stiffer ride.

As for the range... I live in Los Angeles. If I'm going to, say, Yosemite, it's 340 miles. Regardless of if I have the LR or the P, I'm going to have to make one stop to charge! It really doesn't matter to me if I have to stop 30-40 minutes sooner or later, I STILL have to make that one stop.

If I'm traveling below, say, 270 miles, I can make it without stopping in either car.

Most times, having an additional 15 miles really isn't going to make any difference to me.

You do get a softer ride in the LR... not sure how much softer, as I've only driven the performance.

Overall, and esp. now with the NHTSA approving Matrix headlights in the U.S. (missing in the LR Model Y), I'm really glad I went with the Performance!

The fact that I would hopefully receive it during the first half of 2022. Since I ordered the Performance, every time I have to go to pump gas I'm pissed. I couldn't be pissed for the next 8 months so here is to hoping my Performance arrives in the next month or so.

Reactions: Halldawg
I went with LR because of the price and wheels, I'm stretching my budge as is so I had to settle on a slower car. And while I like the looks of bigger wheels the comfort and the fact how easy it is to destroy those bigger wheels on pot holes I just don't want to deal with that. Size wise and cabin tech is the same and the range is only slightly better on LR so if I had the money and a choice of smaller wheels I would pick the performance.

Reactions: db93
What’s your main reason for buying a MYLR or MYP ? Range, Performance, Comfort, Technology, or Convenience?
1-5 In what order?
I take the question to be an open ended "why" in general. Will be getting a MYLR.

1 - Performance - love the rush - that's what hooked me. I love to drive, in general.
2 - Range - better than similar EV's, less than ICE. But i also have a fear of gas prices skyrocketing, so EV could be a win here.

3 - Insert Engineering here - of motors, battery, core systems - probably better than other similar EV's at the moment.

4 - Comfort - reasonably comfortable, but i believe not as comfortable as most other EV's or ICE cars. Translates to better handling? Maybe.
5 - Technology - not a fan of technology, but you can't escape it in anything reasonably modern. Am strenuously AGAINST autonomy

6. Convenience - let's face it, EV's are not as convenient to fuel as ICE - all things considered - install outlets, charge all the time, road trips PIA vs ICE. Road trips in Tesla are probably more convenient vs other EV's.

Last edited:
What’s your main reason for buying a MYLR or MYP ? Range, Performance, Comfort, Technology, or Convenience?
1-5 In what order?
The title of this post suggests you mean why did you buy a MYLR instead of and MYP or vice versa (otherwise you'd put why did you buy a Model Y)

1) Convenience (I'm assuming that's only up because of the 7-seat configuration, I see no other differences between the MYLR and MYP in the "convenience" field)
2) Range
3) Comfort
4) Technology (again, no difference between MYLR and MYP here, so not sure why its listed)
5) Performance (obviously the MYP is faster than the MYLR and really the only reason you'd get an MYP over a MYLR)

Between the LR and P, I chose the P.

Getting it sooner was the number one reason. The $3000 price difference from how I would have spec’d the LR to the P made it an easier pill to swallow to get all the extra performance bits and looks. Even though the range is lower, I didn’t think 15mi would make a huge difference in my day to day. Comfort wise, I only test drove a P and was very happy with it. Probably best I don’t know what the LR feels like in comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: CincoPesos