Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki What a 130 Grand car should have that the P85D lacks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please add to this list whatever you think a car that cost $130,000.00 should have as a standard feature (or at least as an option):

1. Auto-volume radio (that adjusts loudness to speed or outside noise)
2. Rear window wiper blade
3. Center console that opens to store small items
4. Auto closing Frunk
5. Active noise reduction system through the radio speakers (wind and tires make a lot of sound)
6. Direct Audio/video inputs (or at least the ability to view MP4 format)
7. DVD/CD player (at least for now, I am sure in 10 years those will be as obsolete as vinyl records)
8. Optional radar detector (or Radar Detector Integration within Display)
9. Ventilated Air Conditioned Seating for Driver
10. Rear Passenger Accessable Seat Heating Switches (Driver Should Not have to be involved in this)
11. Entry / Exit Seat and Steering Wheel Auto Adjust to allow for easier entry and exit
12. Internal solid state hard drive (to transfer my music to) so the thumb drive is not always sticking out in harms way.
13. Easier way to download personal APPs.
14. Away to reboot the system, my 2.4.153 version has bugs...
15. 360 camera recording with 24 hours write over storage
16. audio volume control for blind spot warning system

DVD/CD players are already obsolete in cars for the most part. Center console is an option (will be soon).

The auto volume issue is likely a software update away. I don't think any auto manufacturers build in radar detectors, do they? Dealerships may do that.

What's a CD?

I agree the frunk should auto open/close like the trunk does.

I'd also like more sound deadening or cancelation

I'd also like SCV like my 1995!!! Tahoe had... Speed Controlled Volume.

Finally, Tesla, just like everyone else, does the Radio and Sat Nav volumes seperate. this isn't the best option.

When I have my radio loud, I need the sat nav loud. When the radio is quiet, i need the sat nav quiet.

the sat nav should be adjustable, but it should be a percentage of the radio volume... so you'd adjust it like 20-100%

and then when I have the music blasting on the highway, and it goes to give me a direction, it's not so quiet, it's like... what?!

OR when I have the radio down and forgot the nav was loud... it's like... TURN LEFT NOW OR DIE HUMAN!!

so, yea, I'd like that... lol.

- +1 on the auto closing frunk. (all models should have this feature)
- Ability to completely disable traction control/stability
- Sun-visors that don't break
- A compelling interior design instead of a massive screen to distract you from the lacking interior
- Massaging/Air-Conditioned seats
- L version for people who want to be driven
- Reverse lights that don't have moisture in them (granted it's not the light itself, but you get the idea)

I agree with most (not all - I really like the spare interior, for example) of the list so far; as a new automaker, Tesla does have some catching up to do on features. Fortunately they seem to be adding things constantly.

We could go farther and make a larger list of things that every $130k car should have, and not just single out the P85D. It might include things like instant throttle response, near-silent smooth acceleration, 3.1 0-60 in an enormous saloon, cheap and clean domestic fuel, enormous navigation screen, free software updates, no dealers to haggle with, service that is not a profit center, etc. Things on that list are why people buy Tesla despite what it's missing - the other automakers are missing things that are more important.

Don't take this wrong, I am not complaining about this thread - the forums have plenty of room to track many things, and places where Tesla can improve in the future are very welcome. I'm just trying to put it in to context because visitors to the forums that don't have a Model S often find it easier to visualize what they'd lose more than what they'd gain by buying one.

We could go farther and make a larger list of things that every $130k car should have, and not just single out the P85D. It might include things like instant throttle response, near-silent smooth acceleration, 3.1 0-60 in an enormous saloon, cheap and clean domestic fuel, enormous navigation screen, free software updates, no dealers to haggle with, service that is not a profit center, etc. Things on that list are why people buy Tesla despite what it's missing - the other automakers are missing things that are more important.
Nicely stated. The other car companies are years away from having those very desirable features, if ever. So instead they tout their extra cup holders and plusher upholstery. Good luck with that.
Tesla demand exceeds supply because the fundamental features of the car are so incredibly compelling. Can the Model S be improved? Of course it can, even though the cars currently coming off the Fremont assembly line they are far more feature-rich and of even higher quality that the cars that were built just two years ago.

I completely agree with all but:

2: I would find it unattractive, personally and I find my rear screen to clear itself in a non snow environment. My SUVs: a totally different story.
7: Totally obsolete in my opinion
8: WAY too many legal issues.

And oh, how I would love noise cancelling with my 21's!

Nicely stated. The other car companies are years away from having those very desirable features, if ever. So instead they tout their extra cup holders and plusher upholstery. Good luck with that.
Tesla demand exceeds supply because the fundamental features of the car are so incredibly compelling. Can the Model S be improved? Of course it can, even though the cars currently coming off the Fremont assembly line they are far more feature-rich and of even higher quality that the cars that were built just two years ago.

You missed the point of this entirely. I am suggesting ways to IMPROVE a great car, not change the world in one day. (I do not care about every OTHER 130K car)

Last edited:
I really think that Tesla should add speakers under the car which play a deep throaty roar as the car drives. This could make the car sound like an expensive Italian sports car and I think we can all agree that the $130000 Tesla should be equal to and have all of the features of an expensive Italian sports car, a refined saloon, an econobox, a luxury SUV, a minivan, and a pickup truck. I read an article that said some ICE car makers already do this to enhance the roar and "masculinity" of their offerings.
(Note for the sarcasm impaired: This is sarcasm.)