Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what about solid state batteries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, eventually. Probably at least another 10 years before they can perfect the technology and they are produced in enough mass quantities to make them cost effective in an EV.

Tesla is still behind their anticipated timeline for 4680 cell production and energy density goals. It will be a while before we see a revolutionary new battery technology.

Reactions: Nack
I think we should be looking at all energy options.
It's going to be exciting to see what prevails. Compact Disc was the game for digital music but it couldn't hang around after the MP3 explosion. Now you don't see any modern vehicles with a player in the console. Compact fluorescent was the wave only to be stifled by LED.
So, is solid state the way or is there something on the horizon that we just don't yet know about?

Reactions: Iz
I think we should be looking at all energy options.
It's going to be exciting to see what prevails. Compact Disc was the game for digital music but it couldn't hang around after the MP3 explosion. Now you don't see any modern vehicles with a player in the console. Compact fluorescent was the wave only to be stifled by LED.
So, is solid state the way or is there something on the horizon that we just don't yet know about?
Diamond batteries are extremely low power. Very limited use cases.

IMG_9078.jpeg
IMG_9079.jpeg

I have no doubt that solid state will be great, someday. But Toyota has been blustering about this since ... 2013? StoreDot, QuantumScape, etc all want you to think it's right around the corner and invest now, but I think it's going to be a pretty long road between here and volume production products in people's driveways. Not never, but definitely not tomorrow.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I have no doubt that solid state will be great, someday. But Toyota has been blustering about this since ... 2013? StoreDot, QuantumScape, etc all want you to think it's right around the corner and invest now, but I think it's going to be a pretty long road between here and volume production products in people's driveways. Not never, but definitely not tomorrow.
Technology will continue to move forward; Will be a matter of time, specially when you have the likes of Toyota behind it. Money will be no issue. Then finally at last; No mas range anxiety and best of all; One can drive at whatever speed without worries 😃FREEDOM 🤣😂

Technology will continue to move forward; Will be a matter of time, specially when you have the likes of Toyota behind it. Money will be no issue. Then finally at last; No mas range anxiety and best of all; One can drive at whatever speed without worries 😃FREEDOM 🤣😂
Toyota bets on fuel cells since 1992 or for the past 31 years and its Mirai fuel cell car is mostly unknown after all these time.

Solid State Battery has potential if you can commercialize it.

Reactions: Msicario
Can they deliver a great electric car? Absolutely!
That isn’t the question though, the question is ‘do they want to?’

You need also to considere that in Japan, big companies have a no lay off policy and provide life time employment.

So Toyota just try to by time to wait until most of the worker in those factories making ICE engines and gearboxes will retire to close or to convert those factories to make EVs.

This is why Toyota build their new EVs in China, so Toyota don't need to build new factories in Japan, and only make EVs for getting some experience doing so.

Toyota spent two years to fix the wheels falling off. Now Toyota said that they can build 90 hybrid vehicles instead of a single EV for the same amount of battery components. And they still use the older MiMH batteries and no Li-ion.

Why killing the golden goose !!!

Reactions: Msicario