Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What am I missing? Serious question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually agree with most of the things OP said. My wife has 2 X5 before her Model X. And my previous 2 cars are Mini Cooper S (made by BMW) and Lexus. There are problems with fit and finishes, but we just don't really care about little things. When I first got the Model 3, I need to tell my son and wife to really slam the doors close. They are so used to just tap the doors to almost close and the doors will close themselves. The blinker.. yeah I feel the difference from Lexus but it is the same with BMW. And for the steering wheel... it is amazing. I love the tight steering and the small go-kart type wheel... it is almost like the best part inside the car!

So in the end, the CONs are just not that important to us. The Model X and 3 are the best cars we own so far. Unless they started breaking down in a year or 2 that is..... we will have to see. With BMW and Mini... they pretty much started getting $2000 to $4000 repairs every year after the warranty ran out.

Coming from a Triumph Roadster, I found Model 3 to be a very soft, very relaxing, very sweet ride. The steering in particular had a kind of bank vault solidity to it. Not excessively heavy, just very clear, very precise. One to one with no pause, no slop, and just the right amount of feedback. The entire car had a Mercedes-like confidence on the road. Though (even in Chill Mode) it responded instantly (unlike a Mercedes) to whatever the driver asked of it. Lots of cheap looking and feeling materials inside, so definitely not a high-end Euro design.
Robin

I've been thinking about the OP's post, and I would break it down into three categories:

Design Characteristics:

As others have noted (@9erDog), the M3 (esp. AWD or P variant) is designed to have a "sports sedan" feel. You feel connected to the road, the suspension is firmer, steering is tighter, fast acceleration, etc.. Some of the other cars mentioned aren't designed to have these driving characteristics. They may have a softer/cushier ride, looser steering, etc., or more of a "highway cruiser" type ride. I just got my P3D- and previously had a Model S. The MS is more of what I categorize as a highway cruiser; it smooths out the bumps and road buzz (especially with the air suspension), and has looser steering (if set to comfort). Specific design characteristics don't make a car good or bad, you just need to pick one that matches your personal preferences. It sounds like the M3 isn't the best aligned car wrt your ride style preferences, and perhaps you didn't get to do an extended test drive prior to purchasing.
Finish Level:

By finish level, I mean the the level of the materials (e.g. leather vs. plastic), features (e.g. adjustability of seats, ventilated seats, massaging seats, auto open trunk, etc..), and to some extent the aesthetics although that is quite subjective. There are certainly some vehicles in the price range of the various Teslas that one could argue have a higher finish level in certain respects. However, as the premier EV in the market, Teslas provide features that no other car has so it's a tradeoff. I feel that the finish level for the $ spent was a bit lower in my Model S than in the Model 3.
Build Quality:

I want to distinguish build (manufacturing) quality from finish level. From the numerous posts in these forums, it's clear that Tesla has room to improve with build quality/consistency; that is some of the cars being delivered to customers aren't meeting the intended build specification of the design. It sounds like you have some build quality issues (the OP specifically mentions panel gaps and wind noise). These should be corrected by Tesla, and I assume they will if you ask.
I hope the car ends up working for you as I realize it's a major purchase.

No car is perfect, but the Model 3 had the BMW 3 series as it's primary benchmark. It's more comparable to the Germans.

There were some build quality issues, but Tesla either has already fixed or will fix those. Any new car has issues to be worked out.

Otherwise, things like ride quality, heavy doors, etc. Those are all hallmarks of German performance oriented vehicles. That was intentional. It' part of why people pay MORE for the Germans. The steering with a pinky is generally considered a bad thing.

My 3 replaced a Lexus ES350. Thing was a boat. This is fun to drive again. The suspension is about as hard as the Sport Package 3 series coupe I used to have, but the squishy seats mitigate the bumps. I bought a 2018 BMW a month or so after the Model 3. The BMW seats have gotten even harder. A wooden church pew feels plush in comparison and the $1000+ leather I bought feels way harder than the leatherette stuff they have. No one's perfect.

Reactions: TT97
Are the other people drinking the kool aid, or do I just have unrealistic expectations?

Maybe there's other options?

The way you present your issues reveals your strong bias (i.e. the "when did you stop beating your wife?" analogy to your question above, in case you can't see it).

The built in bias oozing from the post is too much for me to respond to each issue raised, because I don't see an open mind. So I'd fully agree that you're better with "a Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc."

But I will try to put your post in perspective, at least from my perspective, looking back at the last major change in human propulsion:

"I don't get it. The fit and finish on my hand made horse drawn carriage is far superior to what Ford's assembly line is putting out. Plus, the ride is noisy, smelly and uncomfortable. Are other people drinking the kool aide or do I have unrealistic expectations?"

The death of the internal combustion engine

What’s wrong with the blinkers?
You do know these are the same blinkers used in a BMW for a long long time now right?

These are the best blinkers so easy to use.

Light tap 3 blinks. Harder tap, past the resistance, continuous blink till you stop it. To cancel just light tap again. I find light tap in the same direction works best.

I’m sooooooo happy with these blinkers. I hate the old scroll Blinkers where it has the mechanical click lock in place.

I came from the Model S, and it had the traditional style blinkers.

The blinkers on that car were of the type where there was a bump/notch between temporary and full on.

On the Model 3 they switched to where there isn't a mechanical bump/notch. I think the rationality behind it was because of automatic lane changes, etc. For that you don't really want a bump/notch design as that requires some action (turning, or the user hitting it) to stop it. With Model 3 design it can be fully software defined in terms of its action.

For me it's just going to take some getting used to. There have been a few times where I've fought it. Where I looked like an idiot because I had the blinkers on one direction, and then the other direction when I went to correct it.

I’m sorry what you just described is not high quality car.

Toyota is very cheap. An appliance car. Point A to point B. Lexus is just dressed a little better.

Being able to move the steering wheel with your pinky is not good. No precision at all. No feed back, no road feel. It’s like driving a sponge. Not high quality.

Same with ride quality. Toyota ride quality is just isolated. Again. No road feel, no feedback nothing. Isolated.

Doors close with a weak pull!?!? That’s light weight cheap material. Thin doors. Try some German cars. A nice thud close.

I’ve owned plenty of Toyota’s and Lexus. So I can say what I said.

You need to try driving a real luxury car. Try the BMW 6 series grand coupe. Best car all around yet.

What you’re missing is an actual drivers car. You prefer the old, man old school “Cadillac” rides. Not the sporty car. You don’t appreciate a sporty car.
Funny you mentioned Cadillac. I’m currently driving a Tesla loaner XTS, which I hate. It’s like driving a floaty boat that provides zero excitement. Can’t wait to get the Model 3 back.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ebmcs03
I use sport steering and it feels super easy compared to my Exocet with no power steering. Wind noise and ride comfort are also WAY better! Exocet handles better though and track mode is permanently enabled :p
48520D6D-576A-4FAA-B9E0-4E05D7BBB681.jpeg

Everything is relative.

I just want to say first that considering my current needs, the Model 3 is the best car. I wanted an electric vehicle with AWD that wasn’t as expensive or as big as the X or S.

Saying that, I’d like to understand what am I missing. Everybody says that the Model 3 is the best car they’ve ever had. But is it, though?

I just got my Model 3 AWD non-P this weekend. I’m used to high quality cars like Lexus and Toyota. The fit and finish of my Lexus is just perfect. I can move the steering wheel with my pinky. The ride comfort is perfectly smooth. The transmission and the engine are just perfect. The doors close with a weak pull – they just click into place.

Here’s a list of pros and cons I have for the Model 3.

Pros:
- It’s beautiful. No other Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc., gets even close to it.
- The white interior is awesome.
- The acceleration is a thrill.
- The ability to charge at home is priceless.
- The glass is also beautiful.
- Regen and one pedal driving is great.

Cons:
- Bad fit and finish. Gaps. Wind noise. I need to really jam the doors for they to close. And other small problems here and there.
- The ride is not comfortable. I can really feel the road with the 3.
- I need to apply a lot of force to engage the blinkers, otherwise I just get the quick one.
- The steering wheel is stiff even when in comfort.

What I’m saying is that, while it’s a great car and I love it, it’s far from the perfect vision that my friends sold to me. I’ve had Chrysler cars in the past, and some of these problems remind me of that car. And yet, the other features remind me of luxury cars.

The question is – what am I missing? Are the other people drinking the kool aid, or do I just have unrealistic expectations?
You are totally correct. The car drives like a dream but the fit and finish is the worse out off all the cars I have ever owned. Granted I have only owned Toyota and Lexus. The feeling I get in the interior is so flimsy and cheap looking that I don't think its going to last very long. The doors don't feel solid when you close them. You can hear the glass inside rattle as you shut the door. The trunk is hard to close and has to be slammed. The frunk, I don't even touch, its so flimsy. Maybe Tesla thinks of these cars as disposable. You know, drive them for a few years and throw them out like paper plates.

You are totally correct. The car drives like a dream but the fit and finish is the worse out off all the cars I have ever owned. Granted I have only owned Toyota and Lexus. The feeling I get in the interior is so flimsy and cheap looking that I don't think its going to last very long. The doors don't feel solid when you close them. You can hear the glass inside rattle as you shut the door. The trunk is hard to close and has to be slammed. The frunk, I don't even touch, its so flimsy. Maybe Tesla thinks of these cars as disposable. You know, drive them for a few years and throw them out like paper plates.
I find the interior to be very solid. Nothing seems flimsy compared to my Toyota and Mazda.

Reactions: DR61
Floaty suspension with sub 5 second performance is downright dangerous
I agree with you on this. The model 3 is equipped with suspension that is too soft and floaty for its performance characteristics. There is a slight dip in a road I take every day and I keep bottoming out my rear suspension on the stoppers. It's like a strong thud. Also very dangerous on high speed shallow long turns. The suspension dips, catches, and then jumps making you squirly. Definitely have to replace the suspension with something more sporty befitting the car.

• Funny
Reactions: mal_tsla
I find the interior to be very solid. Nothing seems flimsy compared to my Toyota and Mazda.
I happen to still own my 1999 Luxus GS 400 and my wife has a 2013 Mazda CX9. I think the interior material quality of both these cars are better than what's in any of the Teslas. I like the minimalist design of the Model 3. That's great. There is nothing wrong with the design and not having buttons and all that, great. Just the material fit and finish do not inspire quality to me.

All you have to do is go to a showroom and look at a Model 3 that's been touched by many hands and see what it has become. The whole interior is falling apart in the car I saw at a showroom near my house. Center console doors would not close properly or had play. You can hear loose parts clanking inside the doors as you closed them. Trunk plastic cover where handles to pull trunk down was falling apart, etc. All I can say is the interior won't last that long as it's built today.

My 1999 Lexus and Mazda still have no rattles in the cabin when I drive. My 2 week old Model 3 already has an annoying rattle in B pillar seat-belt area next to my left year.

Comparing the Model 3 to a Lexus for fit and finish is not fair.

The Lexus is the highest end Luxury for the entire Toyota line.
They differentiate the two by offering exquisite body panel fitment. upgrades to the interior materials and design, a superior paint with much more labor involved, smoothing out the steering, throttle and engine noise and adding lots more sound insulation, double panel glass, quieter exhaust and engine insulation.

The upside of this is a very nice luxury and quality feel. The downside is that you get totally isolated from what the car is doing. The thrill is gone.

All this talk about panel gaps is kinda lost on me. It actually has little do do with how safe and strong the body is, or how it will perform on the road. It is simply a cosmetic thing that some people have gotten very picky about.

It has nothing to do with the transportation aspect of the car, nor the performance, handling, efficiency, or anything else having to do with the car.

I would rather have a car with larger panel gaps that does not pollute our cities than a car with better panel gaps that fills our urban areas with smog.

Others may differ...

I drove a Lexus once. Never felt the need (or desire) to do so again. I've always liked small, sporty, nimble cars with no play in the steering. My last two cars were an Audi TTS and an Audi S3. The steering in sport on the Model 3 feels similar to the steering on the stiffest setting on those. The suspension on the Model 3 seems less stiff, but I can still feel the road. I like that. Now, I just have to get used to the larger size of the Model 3. I have had no issues with closing the door, haven't noticed a lot of wind/road noise, and the blinkers seem fine to me.

Oh, and I'm old. Please don't make me get a big, cushy old person car with sloppy steering.

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie and ebmcs03
I agree with you on this. The model 3 is equipped with suspension that is too soft and floaty for its performance characteristics. There is a slight dip in a road I take every day and I keep bottoming out my rear suspension on the stoppers. It's like a strong thud. Also very dangerous on high speed shallow long turns. The suspension dips, catches, and then jumps making you squirly. Definitely have to replace the suspension with something more sporty befitting the car.

Nah, it does fine in skidpad and slalom tests and even on the track. I was referring to Lexus etc.

I drove a Lexus once. Never felt the need (or desire) to do so again. I've always liked small, sporty, nimble cars with no play in the steering. My last two cars were an Audi TTS and an Audi S3. The steering in sport on the Model 3 feels similar to the steering on the stiffest setting on those. The suspension on the Model 3 seems less stiff, but I can still feel the road. I like that. Now, I just have to get used to the larger size of the Model 3. I have had no issues with closing the door, haven't noticed a lot of wind/road noise, and the blinkers seem fine to me.

Oh, and I'm old. Please don't make me get a big, cushy old person car with sloppy steering.
You didn't drive the right Lexus. You probably drove an LS which is a boat made for old people that need lots of comfort. The GS is their sport line. At one time the GS with the sport package was the fastest 4 door sedan on the road.

I didn't praise Lexus for its steering nor its comfort suspension. In that regard the Model 3 beats them all on its sporty drivability. I just think the quality of the interior is much greater in a Lexus. My Lexus GS 400 top of the line cost me 54K with the performance upgrade (V8). It is not too much to ask for a 75K Model 3 to at least be on par with that kind of quality. Instead it feels like a 25K - 30K tops car on the inside.

You didn't drive the right Lexus. You probably drove an LS which is a boat made for old people that need lots of comfort. The GS is their sport line. At one time the GS with the sport package was the fastest 4 door sedan on the road.

I didn't praise Lexus for its steering nor its comfort suspension. In that regard the Model 3 beats them all on its sporty drivability. I just think the quality of the interior is much greater in a Lexus. My Lexus GS 400 top of the line cost me 54K with the performance upgrade (V8). It is not too much to ask for a 75K Model 3 to at least be on par with that kind of quality. Instead it feels like a 25K - 30K tops car on the inside.

It is a $35k car! You bought options to make it $75k

Reactions: gavine and cwerdna