Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What App Is This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WhatApp.png

This one is not an app that can affect sleep. It doesn't call the Tesla API. It is connected to the car's CAN bus and reads the information packets as they go through for the car's normal operation. It is not about seeing a trip consumption. It is about seeing what's going on inside, things that Tesla doesn't show in their UI (and I think sometimes they should). You can see (not an exhaustive list):
- battery temperature
- power levels
- motor power draw (or generation in regen)
- motor temperatures
- coolant flow
- oil flow
- max power draw from battery (max power output)
- max regen capacity
Some values are especially interesting when you live in cold weather. You can understand why you have low or no regen, why your car doesn't start charging when you plug it, why it charges slow at the supercharger etc.

Is it for everyone? Absolutely not. It is for the tech-savvy, for the nerds like me. I think some of this information could be transformed and displayed by Tesla in a simple form. Ex: A message saying "Charging speed lowered (at SC) because of battery temperature".

Applications, like TeslaFi, Stats etc call the Tesla API. They are data point gatherers, to provide statistics, details of trips etc. That is because the car doesn'T provide that, nor does the API provide statistics-type services. Those applications must call functions every ~minute to gather info. If they call the wrong service too often, it prevents the car from sleeping just like when you start the Tesla mobile app. I think all those major apps are well-behaved now. However, TeslaFi (and maybe others) let you control the timings of things like how many minutes to stop polling so the car sleeps. If you tweak it wrong, you could indeed prevent your car from sleeping...

Both ScanMyTesla and TeslaFi and other apps have different uses. None is necessary, they are for people that like data.

This one is not an app that can affect sleep. It doesn't call the Tesla API. It is connected to the car's CAN bus and reads the information packets as they go through for the car's normal operation. It is not about seeing a trip consumption. It is about seeing what's going on inside, things that Tesla doesn't show in their UI (and I think sometimes they should). You can see (not an exhaustive list):
- battery temperature
- power levels
- motor power draw (or generation in regen)
- motor temperatures
- coolant flow
- oil flow
- max power draw from battery (max power output)
- max regen capacity
Some values are especially interesting when you live in cold weather. You can understand why you have low or no regen, why your car doesn't start charging when you plug it, why it charges slow at the supercharger etc.

Is it for everyone? Absolutely not. It is for the tech-savvy, for the nerds like me. I think some of this information could be transformed and displayed by Tesla in a simple form. Ex: A message saying "Charging speed lowered (at SC) because of battery temperature".

Applications, like TeslaFi, Stats etc call the Tesla API. They are data point gatherers, to provide statistics, details of trips etc. That is because the car doesn'T provide that, nor does the API provide statistics-type services. Those applications must call functions every ~minute to gather info. If they call the wrong service too often, it prevents the car from sleeping just like when you start the Tesla mobile app. I think all those major apps are well-behaved now. However, TeslaFi (and maybe others) let you control the timings of things like how many minutes to stop polling so the car sleeps. If you tweak it wrong, you could indeed prevent your car from sleeping...

Both ScanMyTesla and TeslaFi and other apps have different uses. None is necessary, they are for people that like data.

This is one of the best answers to this question I have seen posted here. Thanks for sharing your perspective on this.

• Love
Reactions: GtiMart
Yeah, thank you for your great response. I'd settle to have battery and motor temperature, but oil and coolant flow would be nice. I don't really need the other stuff, since my wife is the primary driver of the car, but I like to have as much mechanical information as possible readily available. Tesla should have added those digital gauges on a sub-menu on the maintenance page. Oh well.