Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are my options? S85 to P85 trade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Here is my question...

I have a 2013 Model S 85 (standard... no P and no D)

VIN 21XXX

Options include tech package and rear facing seats.

Only has 11,800 miles.

The car has a ton of sentimental value to me (thats a story for another post) but I'm thinking of parting with it for more oomph.

I'm interested in a same year P model... with mileage in the 30K range... Don't care for any options at all... It could be totally bare bones P85.

But here's the kicker, I'd just like to do an even swap when it comes to $'s

Is that possible? I have no idea what my cars's value is.

Check Kelly Blue Book to get an estimate of your car's value.

A 2013 P85 will likely have more value than an 85, because it cost more originally, though if you got a higher mileage car, that may bring the cost down.

If you don't care for options - you could go for a 2012 P85. We have one of the early P85's built in late 2012 (over 90K miles) - and the car is still in great condition, and with Tesla's 8 year / unlimited mile warranty on the battery pack & motor, the highest expense items are still covered for almost another 3 years.

Check Kelly Blue Book to get an estimate of your car's value.

A 2013 P85 will likely have more value than an 85, because it cost more originally, though if you got a higher mileage car, that may bring the cost down.

If you don't care for options - you could go for a 2012 P85. We have one of the early P85's built in late 2012 (over 90K miles) - and the car is still in great condition, and with Tesla's 8 year / unlimited mile warranty on the battery pack & motor, the highest expense items are still covered for almost another 3 years.

I'd most definitely do a 2012 P... But 90K miles would be way too high to justify the swap.

You could contact @wk057 and see if your rear drive unit supports a firmware upgrade to make your car a P...

Has he done other people's cars as well? There could be some potential opportunity there :D

Doubtful most "P" owners would be willing to downgrade for that small a delta in miles. Honestly, if you are going to upgrade for performance reasons, you are probably better off holding out for a P85D...admittedly, those seem to still be priced at more of a premium than I would have anticipated at this point.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Doubtful most "P" owners would be willing to downgrade for that small a delta in miles. Honestly, if you are going to upgrade for performance reasons, you are probably better off holding out for a P85D...admittedly, those seem to still be priced at more of a premium than I would have anticipated at this point.

Or even an 85D, which will have a performance boost over an original S85. Plus AP capability.

As a former 2013 P85 owner, the lower miles and more options would not be enough for me to be willing to give up my performance on an even trade. But I suppose there might be someone out there who doesn’t care that much for the performance, but regrets not buying the Tech package or something.

Yeah - I totally get your point.

I want someone with a P85D to do the same trade wit me,, haha fat chance of that.. Once you go P you don't go back, good luck with your trace situation, only 11K miles so its still basically a new car..

That's another thing - I keep asking myself if it's even worth the trade considering my car is practically new.... but damn it, I want the car to snap my neck back and break it when I mash that pedal lol and with no uncorking opportunities in sight for the Standard 85 I think I'm SOL.

I contacted Tesla to ask if there were any options. I don't have high hopes.

I have long been an automotive enthusiast and IMO 12K vs 30k I would rather than the 30K car, I have seen cars that sit unused too much have more issues than ones regularly moved, movable items that never move get sticky, or corrosion forms, or the oil in grease pools at the bottom of bearings and the like. I would say the 12-30k mile difference is meaningless value wise, so you are essentially hoping someone would trade the P package for third row seats. Finding that person with a growing family that really needs the seats and is willing to give up the P aspect is going to be like winning the lottery. Especially since the seats come up available perioically so people can retrofit.

Or even an 85D, which will have a performance boost over an original S85. Plus AP capability.

As a former 2013 P85 owner, the lower miles and more options would not be enough for me to be willing to give up my performance on an even trade. But I suppose there might be someone out there who doesn’t care that much for the performance, but regrets not buying the Tech package or something.

Agreed 85D is probably the sweet spot - P85 performance (plus or minus a tenth or two), dual motors, AP, etc. You lose the giant frunk, but it's not like the rear hatch area is small on any of these cars (still, if you pack the car like a Suburban on out of town ventures that might make a difference to some...I suspect not for you given your low miles). Of course all of this comes back to selling your existing car and spending more.

Maybe a better question is "how many miles" is the trade from S to P worth? I have a 2013 P85+ that is reasonably loaded (red, pano, air, perf seats, UHFS, 21s, carbon, spoiler, etc.) with 57K miles and I can't see me doing a straight swap for an S85, but MAYBE if I saw it in person, it was the same color combo, etc. I might appreciate the nearly new appearance your car surely has. Who knows?

Few suggestions...

• Take your car to CarMax to get your trade in evaluation, Tesla will match the CarMax trade in.
  • You could try selling it retail, I would price it $500 above KBB retail evaluation. In GA I only pay sales tax on the delta between purchase (NADA) and trade in price. If it's the same in FL, there may not be a difference between retail sale (and hassle) vs dealer trade in.
  • IMO ...
    • A rear wheel P car might be more fun that a PxxD car, try both of them out.
    • If you can find a good deal on a P85+ jump on it.

Lastly, you may not use all that power all the time, it honestly scares me to drive it hard.

Last edited:
If you want to keep the car and add performance, ask HSR Motors if they can software-mod your car with P85 performance. They're the ones that added Ludicrous to a P85 so they can do it, but I don't know if they sell that service.