Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are others paying for labor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having a nema 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. I am putting the outlet between my two single garage doors and the breaker box is in the garage on the side wall, so about 25 feet of conduit to run. All external work really.

Curious what others are paying for someone to do this kind of work?

Got a quote for 650 for labor only.

What is your location? What is the cost in the quote for material? Are they just putting a new circuit in your existing panel?

Yeah, putting a breaker in an existing panel then running about 25 feet of PVC conduit, 3-4 bends, then to the box which will mount on the wall.

Materials are not in that quote, just labor.

I'm in Northern VA

It's funny, I have gone from installing just a 30amp outlet in my garage (long story, but turns out I can't due to the gauge of wire that was run was less then needed). to thinking of installing a nema 14-50 outlet, to now just thinking going all the way with a tesla wall charger. Turns out the Tesla Wall charger install cost is pretty much the same as the nema 14-50 outlet. And the 14-50 mobile charger on Tesa.com is $20 more then the actual Tesla Wall charger... so thinking that's what ill end up with.

Two Gen 3's installed on opposite end of house from breaker box, dual 60amp breakers, $850 for everything, really professional job, took the time to run the cable behind sheetrock, they look like they were meant to be there. Cars seem very happy both charging at 48amps simultaneously. Alabama.

650 sounds reasonable. I had a long time friend do mine. He's notoriously cheap doing it for friends and only charged me 500.

Finished basement so I had to run about 30-40 feet outside and bury, per code, 18" underground. That's a pretty long way down so that took him the majority of the day. Then ran another 50-60 feet inside the garage along the base. In all I paid 900 with parts (400) and labor (500).

MAKE SURE your electrician pays attention to the details on the recommendations from Tesla. They are recommending Industrial grade outlets, not commercial grade. The ones you get from the big box stores are commercial grade. They have a 2.15" connector size and very budget friendly ones like the Leviton are not suitable (lots of instances of meltdowns, near fires)

The Tesla recommendations are both 2.48" and much heavier duty. My guy didn't notice it at first so I've ordered the Cooper 5754N as a replacement. The wall plate also needs to be specifically 2.48" opening.

Examples of the differences (Cooper 1280 vs 5754)

1258-sp_p.jpg

1258-sp_p1.jpg

5754n_p.jpg

5754n_p1.jpg

You get into minimum pay for half the day, they can't schedule 3-4 small jobs back to back to back.
Paying for the labor for a quote, likely permits, time to pull materials, drive time, a truck and a technician.
Some places don't like to do small jobs so they quote them high.

I am putting the outlet between my two single garage doors and the breaker box is in the garage on the side wall, so about 25 feet of conduit to run. All external work really..

Labor only?

If you make less than $650 a day, then it makes sense for you to do the work and keep the money.

Your job sounds absurdly easy, but a lot of times they don't care. The electricians I talked to say they bill by the 1/2 day (4 hours) and 1 day (8 hours) at $125 per hour. That's $500 labor for your particular job.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
Just paid 200 to install an outdoor nema 14-50, and 45 bucks for the parts (outlet and breaker). The plug is directly behind the panel though, so just drilled a hole through to the outside, and ran a 2 ft wire.

Just paid 200 to install an outdoor nema 14-50, and 45 bucks for the parts (outlet and breaker). The plug is directly behind the panel though, so just drilled a hole through to the outside, and ran a 2 ft wire.

You have an outdoor NEMA 14-50 yet paid 45 bucks for parts? Did you get a industrial vs commercial grade 14-50 outlet? Also is the breaker GFCI since its outdoors (I would even get it if it were indoors)? I was looking at GFCI breakers and they are all at least 80 bucks. Parts aside, 200 bucks for an install is really good :)

Labor only?

If you make less than $650 a day, then it makes sense for you to do the work and keep the money.

Your job sounds absurdly easy, but a lot of times they don't care. The electricians I talked to say they bill by the 1/2 day (4 hours) and 1 day (8 hours) at $125 per hour. That's $500 labor for your particular job.

I got a new quote, installing the Tesla Wall Gen 3 unit now as it actually is more cost effective then the NEMA 14-50 Tesla mobile charger (not like the one that comes with the car with just a plug adapter). So now I am paying 800 out the door for labor and parts. Using metal conduit vs pvc as well. Probably a little on the high side, but at least still less then $1k ;)

Reactions: user212_nr
You have an outdoor NEMA 14-50 yet paid 45 bucks for parts? Did you get a industrial vs commercial grade 14-50 outlet? Also is the breaker GFCI since its outdoors (I would even get it if it were indoors)? I was looking at GFCI breakers and they are all at least 80 bucks. Parts aside, 200 bucks for an install is really good :)

Got this plug from home depot
Midwest Electric Products 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet

I didn't bother with GFCI since that increases costs by 2x and is only designed to idiot proof things for rare edge cases that does not apply to this charger. Since I am not an idiot I can practice basic electrical precautions that those outlets automatically do for you.

Prices seem to vary greatly with location. My two examples:

Twenty mile south of Tucson AZ. Electrical box on other side of wall. $160 dollars.
RE7iMkh.jpg

Cape Cod, MA. $1,100. My nephew did the trenching (saved a lot of money!).
INDOEV5.jpg

8XyuJ3x.jpg

Chevy Bolt is my Cape Cod car. The MY will be for us in AZ.
1vXHnb5.jpg

I am having a nema 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. I am putting the outlet between my two single garage doors and the breaker box is in the garage on the side wall, so about 25 feet of conduit to run. All external work really.

Curious what others are paying for someone to do this kind of work?

Got a quote for 650 for labor only.
I’m in Austin. I got 2 quotes. 850 and 849 for parts and labor. And FYI 2 quotes for Wall charger 1690 with charger included, and 849 from other place without charger.