Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the cheapest snow chains for a Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Scott,

Well, those re certainly CHEAP enough, but given that that recommendation is from 2015, are those even recommended for a Model X? Which seems to have "special needs." The X didn't even exist then.

pax / Ctein
What are your use cases? Any different than a sedan?
Well I'm curious which ones you have looked at so far based on your research?

Dear Scott,

Pretty basic-- I want to be able to drive my stock Model X, with its stock tires, when I encounter road conditions where chains are required or advisable.

Tesla says chains on rear wheels only of Model X, and that the wrong chains will (not might, will!) cause damage.

I have no idea if the chain requirements are different for the sedan. How would I know?

I did learn one thing, which is the Taptes chains, which are quite cheap, appear to be crap.

I wouldn't know how to research this beyond asking what chains people here use (or say to avoid, vis Taptes).

pax / Ctein

Pretty basic-- I want to be able to drive my stock Model X, with its stock tires, when I encounter road conditions where chains are required or advisable.
Tesla says chains on rear wheels only of Model X, and that the wrong chains will (not might, will!) cause damage.
So normal asphalt roads with icy conditions or snow packed then I guess. That is not gravel road or light off roading.

Remembers that the manual and other places recommend 30 MPH or less.

My X manual says "Maggie Group Trak Special LT51 tire chains" but I think it is spelled Maggi.

See this thread related to those: Trak 4x4 Snow Chains
Related short install (overview) video:

Seems like these would work too:

Check out this top review for a lot of general info/details:
M. Anderson
Everything you need to know about traction cables...
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on January 25, 2010

Dear Scott,

Thank you very much for all that valuable info! Another member just offered me his redundant set of Trak chains at half of list. They were for an S but appear identical to the X chains. At worst I might need to buy a lug nut wrench.

Gotta check my tire size later today, but likely I'm good! (Fingers firmly crossed)

pax / Ctein

Reactions: scottf200