Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Snow Chains for 2023 X with 20" Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X 20”/22” Snow Chains on the Tesla website are $610.

Two questions:

1. Do I need to put snow chains on all four tires?

2. That's $1,220! is there a cheaper alternative on Amazon that one of you use that works?

Thanks!
No chains on the front of a Model X. The clearance is almost nonexistent, at least on a 2019 Raven. I use snow tires (and rims) for all 4 wheels in the winter and carry snow socks for the rear (but have never come close to using them). This is for North Lake Tahoe/Truckee.

No chains on the front of a Model X. The clearance is almost nonexistent, at least on a 2019 Raven. I use snow tires (and rims) for all 4 wheels in the winter and carry snow socks for the rear (but have never come close to using them). This is for North Lake Tahoe/Truckee.
Appreciate it. Snow socks sound like the move as in my 20 years of driving up to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear I've only had to put chains on twice.

jsut did a video on the Y in heavy snow in tahoe.
i recommend socks for the fronts and rears in heavy snow
not sure how handling is in the x with heavy snow
i also like the X konig chains that attach to the lug nuts

jsut did a video on the Y in heavy snow in tahoe.
i recommend socks for the fronts and rears in heavy snow
not sure how handling is in the x with heavy snow
i also like the X konig chains that attach to the lug nuts
The Model X with snow tires (no studs) has handled well for me in Tahoe (North shore) the last three seasons.

I’m surprised that the snow socks don’t get torn up if put on the front tires by that hunk of metal (what is it?) that sits just an inch or two above the top of the wheel.

Someone recommended super z6 sz441 in the past for rear wheels on older model x. Can be bought on Amazon for $100ish. They said only need for rear wheels. Not sure why not front wheels but I think in previous posts people mentioned something about clearance with chains and front wheels.

Someone recommended super z6 sz441 in the past for rear wheels on older model x. Can be bought on Amazon for $100ish. They said only need for rear wheels. Not sure why not front wheels but I think in previous posts people mentioned something about clearance with chains and front wheels.
yeah no chains on front wheels. tesla only recommends on rear wheels.
if you do socks though, and its snowing badly enough, front and rear is necessary for most traction for SOCKS.
Check out my cold weather video as it really helps explain it better and shows you!
Chains are way more durable and i like the konig ones that attach to the lug nuts

Model X 20”/22” Snow Chains on the Tesla website are $610.

Two questions:

1. Do I need to put snow chains on all four tires?

2. That's $1,220! is there a cheaper alternative on Amazon that one of you use that works?

Thanks!
Hi,

Perhaps I can provide some help with your two questions:

1) As for whether it is necessary to install snow chains on all four tires, different snow chains have different situations. However, snow chains can be installed on any driving wheel. And only the drive wheels can be equipped with snow chains.

2) If you want cheaper and high-quality anti-skid chains, then Tesery must meet your requirements. Here are some anti-skid chains provided by Tesery that are suitable for Model X:

Tesla Model Y snow chains 1.jpg

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Sky Wheel Rim

• 5. Thickened TPU Snow Chains For Tesla Model 3/Y/X/S
Click here: Tesla Y snow chains
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

• 6. Steel Snow Chains For Tesla Model 3/Y/X/S
Click here: Tesla snow chains Model Y
Tire Water Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

Such wonderful Aliexpress snow chains.
They will match nicely with my grill.

1698788010816.png

This is why I have an HMMWV and a Hummer H1
When I lived in Park City my neighbor and I had to climb a fairly steep hill to access our driveways. Once during a heavy snowstorm I was climbing that hill with my Audi TT on Blizzaks while my neighbor with his H1 and big mud tires was sliding sideways down said hill. After I parked in my garage he came running up and asked how I could possibly make it up that hill while his behemoth couldn’t. I had to explain to him that the most important factor in winter driving is tires and not the coolness factor of the vehicle. I suggested he swap out his mud tires and put something sensible on.

• Funny
Reactions: Tz00
When I lived in Park City my neighbor and I had to climb a fairly steep hill to access our driveways. Once during a heavy snowstorm I was climbing that hill with my Audi TT on Blizzaks while my neighbor with his H1 and big mud tires was sliding sideways down said hill. After I parked in my garage he came running up and asked how I could possibly make it up that hill while his behemoth couldn’t. I had to explain to him that the most important factor in winter driving is tires and not the coolness factor of the vehicle. I suggested he swap out his mud tires and put something sensible on.
Perhaps, but with my OEM Goodyear MTR I have never experienced such issues.

But I have pulled many other vehicles free of mud and snow.

I also carry chains BUT with my Hummer and HMMWV’s I don’t have to worry about clearance issues re.: the front wheels.

Don’t get me wrong anyone… Also love my Teslas.

Attachments

• IMG_1169.jpeg
    IMG_1169.jpeg
    939.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6398.jpeg
    IMG_6398.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Anyone knows if snow socks are acceptable for California DOT if snow chains are required? Looking to get a set of snow chains for my refresh X. I am getting dedicated snow tires but during storms road restrictions requires you to carry snow chains and I looking for the least amount of weight and space utilized by the chains…., as I will be carrying these mostly only for show…
Are the Koenig chains very bulky with the mounting mechanism?

EDIT: just googled a bit - looks like for California R1+R2 snow restrictions snow socks only from Auto Socks are DOT approved, but during R3 ( chains need to be mounted) they will not suffice.

Guess it’s Koenig or a smaller chain like the tesery offering for me.

Last edited: