Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the justifiable reasons for enabling cabin overheat protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I don't keep animals in my car, and I am not a wasteful person, why do I want to enable cabin overheat protection? I understand that it will limit the interior temperature depending on the settings, but at the cost of range and kWh/mi efficiency. If I am happy with turning the AC on as I head to the car is their anything I am missing?

how much range are you losing that this is an issue?

If you transport kids even once, then leave it on.

I dont have kids or pets, but id rather not have my car be 150 degrees in the interior. That can't be healthy for a MCU that i expect to last 10+ years.

how much range are you losing that this is an issue?

If you transport kids even once, then leave it on.

I dont have kids or pets, but id rather not have my car be 150 degrees in the interior. That can't be healthy for a MCU that i expect to last 10+ years.
My kids are old enough to get out of a hot car. I am really wondering if the overheat protection is a nicety or recommended. To my knowledge no other vehicles offer this, so I'd be nice to know if this buys me anything more than a more comfortable car at the expense of some kWh... Do the electronics need it? Will they last 20 years instead of 10? Looking for perspective.

My kids are old enough to get out of a hot car. I am really wondering if the overheat protection is a nicety or recommended. To my knowledge no other vehicles offer this, so I'd be nice to know if this buys me anything more than a more comfortable car at the expense of some kWh... Do the electronics need it? Will they last 20 years instead of 10? Looking for perspective.

Other vehicles don't have the capability for this. Other EVs might, but none have a battery pack with enough density to power such a thing.

There really isn't any hard data on if your car will last longer or not with overheat protection. Personally, i just think the high temperatures can't be healthy for any material, let it be electronic or dash. The electronics probably don't need it, as cabin overheat protection wasn't released until the last couple years. But we all know what heat does to electronics in terms of longevity.

Nothing based in hard fact, just conjecture and educated guesses i suppose.

...Do the electronics need it?...

I haven't seen anyone doing a research on electronic longevity in a hot car under the sun heat.

It's a good time for students to take up this research :)

But there's hint that airbags are affected.

Eye Glass makers urges not to leave your glasses in a hot car.

Extreme heat can crack your dashboard

dashboard-cracks_orig.png

It can also crack your seat/steering wheel leather because the oil dries out:

images

There have been reports that rolled-up car window glass spontaneously breaks under the sun (not when they are rolled down, maybe because of the difference in cooling effect).

Here in the Sunshine State, we have to get the headliners of cars replaced after maybe 8 years of baking. Panoramic glass roofs mean no headliners, but they also increase the greenhouse effect, and I'd expect the interior surfaces to show the results.

In my day, we had leave-the-windows-cracked-a-little technology, and it was fairly effective in keeping the temperatures inside non-lethal. Can you do that in a Model 3? Is there a downside to it, other than losing protection against casual vandalism?

"What are the justifiable reasons for enabling cabin overheat protection?"

Speaking as someone who has a friend who's currently on trial for the death of his daughter, who died in an overly hot car, accidentally left there because he didn't realize she was still in the car asleep?

(She was supposed to be in day care at that time, and normally would have been, but hadn't been taken inside because she was sick... so he drove home, thinking the car was empty and, being in bad shape himself, went inside and went to sleep)

Unless you're flawless and incapable of making mistakes and have psychic powers to know where every living thing around you is at all times, without error .... just leave it on. Yes, your odds of making an error with someone you love are near zero. But as much as you may think they're exactly zero... they're not. And the consequences of being wrong are horrific.

Or, you can do it just to increase the longevity of your interior and electronics because.. seriously... would you leave your laptop in a 65°C oven all day every summer? Your cell phone? But... IMHO... that's not the real reason you should leave it on.

I doubt that battery drain is significantly effected by cabin overheat protection.
I don’t have any data to support this.
I also believe that it would not necessarily prevent harm from coming to a baby or a pet or that it was implemented solely for that purpose. 106° Is still very hot.
When we leave our dog in the car I set the A/C to stay on at between 68° and 70° Then I place signs I printed on card stock in the rear windows to enlighten would-be Good Samaritans who might be tempted to break my window.
Some electronic components in a Tesla are always on to some extent.
I’m guessing that electronic components consume more energy at higher temperatures, so preventing circuits from overheating may actually lower energy consumption. I’m also guessing it shortens the life of electronic components.
D708A8B0-09DD-427D-9761-C558F438ECEA.jpeg

Not everyone has been in a data center so they take for granted the servers that power the world and this forum for example is kept in the 60’s.

Part of the reason for a sun shade is to keep away from warping and cracking the dash.

I also believe that it would not necessarily prevent harm from coming to a baby or a pet or that it was implemented solely for that purpose. 106° Is still very hot.

There's a difference between being uncomfortable and potentially dehydrated, vs. being baked alive. A black car in the sun all day in a hot location without the windows down can get over 65°C (150°F).

Not in modern efficient datacenters... For those that don't have customer contracts which require them to be abnormally low, people run cold aisles around 80-85F which yields hot aisles more like 115-120F.

Absolutely. Not trying to be technical. Just trying to convey that electronics are like video cards lose performance above 60C so their temperature has to be regulated.

Seems a potential use of the internal camera is to look for movement when the car is supposedly vacant?

Climate control can activate off of that?

I’m not into nanny things but mistakes in this regard are devastating.