Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are you Aussies getting for cellular speeds in your cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you go to Fast.com in the browser in your car, what speed are you getting?

Since Tesla NZ seems to be a subsidy of Tesla Australia, our cars get Telstra SIMs that roam on our NZ carriers. It seems the connection has a custom APN as visiting the likes of Netflix shows the Australian library and NZ streaming services are geoblocked due to appearing to be traffic from Australia. Over the last few months though, it seems the capacity on this APN is bottlenecked and most cars in NZ can only get around 600kbps. This is starting to impact Spotify streaming and even connecting to the car via the app when it doesn't have a Wifi connection.

I assume cars in Australia use the same APN so I was wondering what speeds you guys are seeing?

Since Tesla NZ seems to be a subsidy of Tesla Australia, our cars get Telstra SIMs that roam on our NZ carriers. It seems the connection has a custom APN as visiting the likes of Netflix shows the Australian library and NZ streaming services are geoblocked due to appearing to be traffic from Australia. Over the last few months though, it seems the capacity on this APN is bottlenecked and most cars in NZ can only get around 600kbps. This is starting to impact Spotify streaming and even connecting to the car via the app when it doesn't have a Wifi connection.

I assume cars in Australia use the same APN so I was wondering what speeds you guys are seeing?
In rural Australia, where our speed is 4G and constrained by the backhaul, I get 34mbps down and 24mbps up. Will be interesting to see what people in a capital city get.

If you're in Melbourne you're better off on 5G home broadband. I regularly get 400+mbps.
Yeah we disconnected NBN at home too, which was $120pm for 100mbps, connection would drop out at least once per day usually when something important was going on. Now on an $99 per month Optus 5g uncapped speed, I’ve seen it go as high as 600 mbps for short periods.

It’s slow in my car in Melbourne as well, regularly Spotify and Apple Music are buffering, then I connect the car wifi to my phone (5g) hotspot and it works fine.

BYD are using Telstra as well, we also have an Atto3 and never have any issues with spotify in that.