Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car models fly off dealers' lots? - $100K Land Rover Range Rover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
Bods well for the Tesla Model X sales.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2013/12/18/edmundscom-days-to-turn-range-rover/4093027/

Even though the big SUV sells for an average of more than $100,000, dealers were only able to keep Range Rovers on hand for an average nine days in November. In the car business, that is almost no time, according Edmunds.com, a car research and shopping site. The average vehicle lounges on a dealer's lot for 59 days. Low "days to turn," as the industry term is called, means buyers are lined up ready to snatch vehicles as soon as they roll off the delivery trucks.

All while Land Rover has the absolute worst number of problems reported per vehicle than any other manufacturer. Having owned one myself, I can say with experience that it was the biggest and most expensive piece of crap that I have ever owned. It had so many very serious safety problems and design flaws they had no idea how to fix that I lemoned the damn thing then I bought the the Model S.

I'm no economist, but I think this just means that Range Rover is doing a very good job of controlling their inventory and not producing more cars than they are selling. They are likely still not selling very many cars. As the article points out, this allows dealers to sell near MSRP because they are controlling supply to stay at or below demand.

I'm no economist, but I think this just means that Range Rover is doing a very good job of controlling their inventory and not producing more cars than they are selling. They are likely still not selling very many cars. As the article points out, this allows dealers to sell near MSRP because they are controlling supply to stay at or below demand.

Yea I think I recall them saying that they only export 1000 a month to the US or some really small number like that, so it's definitely controlling the supply.

All while Land Rover has the absolute worst number of problems reported per vehicle than any other manufacturer. Having owned one myself, I can say with experience that it was the biggest and most expensive piece of crap that I have ever owned.

The new wimpy ones are pretty bad. I drove my 1972 Series III 88 until 1991 with minimal problems. Land Rover still trades on the reputation of the original style. The Range Rover has always had problems, but most people never really drove it all that many miles.

They've been expensive garbage for many decades. A perfect tribute to mindless conspicuous consumption.

Actually I think these newest models (2014 for the sport, 2013 for the normal range rover and all evoques) are much better designed and built than the ones designed under BMW and Ford's tenures of ownership. Polaris used to build the biggest pieces of crap in the ATV world but over the last few years have come out with new and much improved products.

Actually I think these newest models (2014 for the sport, 2013 for the normal range rover and all evoques) are much better designed and built than the ones designed under BMW and Ford's tenures of ownership. Polaris used to build the biggest pieces of crap in the ATV world but over the last few years have come out with new and much improved products.

Uhh no. The one I lemoned was the 2013 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic fully loaded. Brand new. Still was a piece of crap with lots of bad defects. Also only averaged 19mpg.

Not saying there aren't any bad ones (we had a X5 that was a piece too), but I have been hearing much better things about the newer ones, even from guys who had the older ones and admitted they were junk.

I think a relevant additional piece of information is what are the monthly sales of the Land/Range Rovers. You can have a nine day "days to turn" inventory but only have 3 sales a month. How do you calculate an inventory where there is none, but a waiting list to get a car?

Do you know any other RR owners? If they are having good luck maybe their cars are getting better. All my bad experiences were from 2006 and older.

My wife and I both had/have RR Sports. Mine a 2010 'HSE' and hers a 2011 'Supercharged'. I sold mine to buy the S. I had NO mechanical issues with them. They re did a lot of the interior/electronics in the 2010. My reason for turning them in was not because of poor build quality/problems but cost of gas (12-15mpg) and environmental...get off gas. We will sell my wife's ( she is still protesting ) to acquire an AWD Tesla product. Either an S (her preference because she does not like the falcon doors) or an X (my preference).

We have an '08 LR3 and it's been mostly issue free. It does have a couple little oddities with some electrical systems (for some reason, the auto-tilt mirrors point up from time to time) but it's been a reliable vehicle for the most part. It will bow out when the Model X comes. It just uses way to much gas and its road manners (handling/acceleration) are akin to a pregnant cow.

Nope, don't agree. Love the new RRS - I'm pretty sure my next car will be the Model X, but man, that exhaust sound from the V8SC is AMAZING!!!

Just got my '14 RRS, need a car for 2013 with tax incentives coming to an end. Will be enjoying my RRS till the Model X shows up.

-ThinkMac-

Nope, don't agree. Love the new RRS - I'm pretty sure my next car will be the Model X, but man, that exhaust sound from the V8SC is AMAZING!!!

Just got my '14 RRS, need a car for 2013 with tax incentives coming to an end. Will be enjoying my RRS till the Model X shows up.

-ThinkMac-

I do agree with you on this point. If the Model X impresses with the amenities that come with the RR then I certainly would not mind trading it in.