Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What category of car did your Tesla replace?

What type of car did your Tesla replace?

• Sports or Luxury

Votes: 120 43.8%
  • Efficient Hybrid (>40mpg)

Votes: 30 10.9%
  • Other Hybrid (<40mpg)

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Truck/SUV

Votes: 36 13.1%
  • Plugin Vehicle (BEV or PHEV)

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 45 16.4%
  • None, did not sell/trade another vehicle.

Votes: 28 10.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I clicked "Sports or Luxury," but my car was really only the Luxury model of that platform.

The Model S replaced my 1997 Lincoln Town Car that was approaching 200k miles. Before the '97 I owned a 1995 Lincoln Town Car and before that, a 1986 Lincoln Town Car.

While the Tesla spanks the Lincolns on performance and technology, I gotta say nothing beats the "I'm driving around two really comfortable couches" interior of a Lincoln. Even the 2008 Lincoln Town Car that I borrowed while I waited for my S85 to arrive (due to the untimely buy expected death of the 1997) was super comfy.

Edit: Forgot the MPGs: The 1986 seemed to average between 15 and 20mpg depending on how aggressively teenaged me was driving it (5.0L V8 and no traction control :-D ), both the 1995 and the 1997 got about 22mpg, and the 2008 got about 20mpg.

Last edited:
2013 Chevy Volt, which replaced a 1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible that got about 20 mpg due to my lead foot. I had the Saab for 13 years, the Volt is a 3 year lease and my Model S should deliver 1-2 months before lease turn in on the Volt.

I am looking forward to the Pano, as the Volt had no sunroof option and coming off a ragtop to no sunroof at all was the only tough thing with the Volt for me.

Mine replaced nothing except rental cars. I only live in the US about three months per year. However, I typically meant a BMW or MB from Sixt, so it does typically cost more than normal rentals. After renting a Model S I knew it would be a matter of time before I would buy one, so i did. My daily driver in brazil, where I live most of the time, is a BMW X1 (actually cost about the same as the P85D as a result of our horrendous import duties and car taxes). I have a nagging idea i might pull the plug on the X1 in favour of the i3, the only electric car currently sold here, even though the only version available has the 'range extender'. Probably I'll just wait until something better comes along, such as the Tesla Model 3.

Not replacing anything. I'm keeping my trusty 20 year old Toyota pickup for use when I need to haul stuff and for when the weather is really bad (I know Model S is all weather but no way I'm going to drive it when the roads are covered with snow and ice). I just plan on using the truck a lot less (I think of it as giving her some very well desired rest) and enjoying the reduction in fuel bills.

Nissan Leaf 2012

IMG_0545.jpg

You guys may find it interesting that my dad replaced a 1983 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel that ran on waste vegetable oil that he purchased for 3000 dollars. His Model S60 was the first new car he ever purchased.

Ours is still on order, but will be added to the garage.

Our oldest son will be getting his driver's license this summer and will be using my wife's Volvo XC70 as "his" car. We'll still have a Honda Odyssey (my shuttle three kids and all of their stuff car) and an Audi TTS Roadster (the sun's out and the kids are old enough to fend for themselves at home car). Our 85D will be my wife's daily driver, but I can certainly see myself taking every opportunity to use it, too. :cool:

We tried to find another AWD option that seats 5 comfortably and were really surprised how difficult it was to find something that met all of our needs. Once we drove the Model S, it was pretty clear that it was in a category of its own.