Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What circuit breaker I can install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I planning to buy model Y and researching option about charging. I am not electrician and here is my question if I have (see picture 4 connected with 20 amp each) what kind of circuit breaker I can install? Can I do 60? Any details, please
CB.jpg

No one can advise you from just a photo. You will need to get quotes from several electricians.

You can start the process by determining your home charging needs.

Determine the following:

How many miles per day, on average, you drive for work, school, other? Do you drive significantly more on the weekend?

If you commute to a work place, can you charge at work?

If you can answer these questions then you can determine your home charging needs. This is a better approach than just installing a charging circuit, 60A or whatever because you read that is the fastest, best. There is nothing wrong with installing a 60A circuit but your home's current electrical service may not be able to support an additional 60A circuit while a 20A or 30A circuit might be possible.

Not all dryer outlets are the same; older dryer outlets such as the 10-30 receptacle do not have a ground connection. Still, you may be able to share your dryer receptacle if it is located close to where you will park the Tesla, i.e. close to your garage. (By sharing this means installing a switch device that enables you to either use the dryer or charge the vehicle but not both at the same time.)

Main thing is called a Load Calculation. There are online forms that can show how to do it, or an electrician can do it as part of a bid. It totals up things in your house, like square footage for lights and such, and various appliances and figures that from what your main electrical service capacity is to see how many amps you have to spare for a new circuit. That's what you need to start with before just saying, "I want 60A".