Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you park next to? (Or what makes the Roadster look tiny?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
69 Corvette Stingray Convertible. It was bigger than the Roadster but you can't tell from this picture.
Corvette69LeftFront.JPG

The owner had just purchased the Vette and was headed to a car show.

Reactions: John W. Ratcliff
Third generation (C3) Corvette Stingray -- arguably the coolest car ever made. Introduced in 1968, it still looks like the future. Did you guys see Apollo 13? All the astronauts drove Stingrays! Product placement, maybe... But it was exactly what I'd expect them to drive, regardless.

Attachments

• stingray_and_roadster.jpg
    stingray_and_roadster.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 288
That's a C3 as well. It's an earlier C3, as shown by the chrome bumper, but it's not the C2 corvette that looked like a bar of soap.

Actually the C2 was from 63 to 67- the beautiful Stingray model (split-window coupe in 63 with a divider down the back and two windows). The C1 was 53 to 62. It got up-dated in 56 and 58, but all were C1 versions. I've never heard them called "a bar of soap" before.

I've never been a fan of American cars... full stop. The Model S is the first one I've owned, probably because is is arguably NOT an American car (in the sense that it wasn't designed, built and sold in the typical way). Or perhaps I should say, 'because it's not a Big Three car', rather than 'American', because it's more the ethics and quality control of the manufacturers that I take issue with than the country of origin.

However having said that, the Corvette has always been a car I'd be willing to drive and be seen on my property... ;-) The '65 convertible would be my number one, followed by a chrome bumper C3 with a big block V8 and a manual transmission that shifts like it's out of a 5 ton truck. Completely out of character for me, but I still like 'em...!

So when someone describes it as the 'coolest car ever made', I have to agree it's near the top of that list. And while the Tesla Roadster is a car I'd take over a Corvette every day of the week, I can't honestly say I think it's cooler... it hasn't been around long enough to be list-eligible and there are too many other cars around that are similar enough to keep it from standing out. Heresy perhaps, but that's still my opinion... Nothing was ever built that could be mistaken for a Corvette... But like I said, I'd still prefer the Roadster if someone wants to gift me one... :biggrin:

Bar of soap?!

I'll get a side by side with my roadster soon, but I don't think my C2 looks like a bar of soap?

View attachment 90985

Sure does look like a bar of soap. You know, after the bar gets used a few times and the edges get thin as razors. Just before it melts into that goop you tell your kids to clean out of the soap dish. Then the kids blow it off and you have to remind them a few times. Finally you need to threaten their allowances and they grudgingly get to it and show their disapproval by taking 2 hours and still doing a half-a$$ed job, so you end up doing it yourself and wishing you got that vasectomy when you had a chance....

I think the prior poster was referring to the first generation 'vettes. Your's look beautiful IMHO.

Best,

T

Sure does look like a bar of soap. You know, after the bar gets used a few times and the edges get thin as razors. Just before it melts into that goop you tell your kids to clean out of the soap dish. Then the kids blow it off and you have to remind them a few times. Finally you need to threaten their allowances and they grudgingly get to it and show their disapproval by taking 2 hours and still doing a half-a$$ed job, so you end up doing it yourself and wishing you got that vasectomy when you had a chance....

I think the prior poster was referring to the first generation 'vettes. Your's look beautiful IMHO.

Best,

T

Haha!

You're right, a white C1 does look like a bar of soap.