Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do yo do for a flat tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Will the sealant (in a can) work if the tire has the acoustic foam? can it make it to the puncture site?
2. And in the case it does work. What would happen when you eventually make it to a tire shop. Can they remove the sealant and do their own "proper" patching job? Or is that it for the tire? (you must replace with new tire).
3. What about in the case of plugging? Can the tire shop remove your plug and do their patch or do you have to get new tire?
4. Does the use of the canned sealant have the same limitation as plug/patch in terms of location (i.e., cannot be used if puncture is on/near the sidewall)?
1) I have read that the foam can prevent the sealant from fully getting to the puncture site and sealing the leak.
2) Tire shops universally hate the foam and hate the sealant. They are likely to refuse to attempt to repair the tire. (Once you replace the damaged tire you would be able to attempt to repair the tire on your own, keep the tire as a spare.)
3) For liability reasons, these days, tire centers generally refuse to repair any tire where a puncture has already been repaired by the owner.
4.) The sealant can't be used to repair a damaged sidewall.

I would only consider a repair as permanent if the damaged tire that been patched (from the inside) else plugged using a good quality tire plug kit.

At one time, when bias ply tires were the standard and radial tires had yet to become the norm you could install an inner tube inside a damaged tire and be able to drive on the punctured tire for the life of the tire. The requirement for tire pressure monitoring sensors in the wheels attached to the tire valve, precludes using an inner tube.

Last edited:
Can't use fix a flat with foam ties. After you swap to non-foam, it's ok. You can also swap to PZero SEAL INSIDE's. Tirerack carries the SEAL tires in 255/40/21& 285/35/21 for Rolls Royce fitment which also fits ours. These Pzeros come with a flat sheet of sealant. I'm looking at a square setup with 4 285/35/21's.

1) I have read that the foam can prevent the sealant from fully getting to the puncture site and sealing the leak.
2) Tire shops universally hate the foam and hate the sealant. They are likely to refuse to attempt to repair the tire. (Once you replace the damaged tire you would be able to attempt to repair the tire on your own, keep the tire as a spare.)
3) For liability reasons, these days, tire centers generally refuse to repair any tire where a puncture has already been repaired by the owner.
4.) The sealant can't be used to repair a damaged sidewall.

I would only consider a repair as permanent if the damaged tire that been patched (from the inside) else plugged using a good quality tire plug kit.

At one time, when bias ply tires were the standard and radial tires had yet to become the norm you could install an inner tube inside a damaged tire and be able to drive on the punctured tire for the life of the tire. The requirement for tire pressure monitoring sensors in the wheels attached to the tire valve, precludes using an inner tube.
Thank you!

I am building my own flat repair kit as the premade ones generally contain inferior quality tools. I generally prefer USA or European made (and Taiwan made at the very least). I also considered Modern Spare but it seems too bulky. Here's what I am planning on putting together:
  • Klein 16" canvas tool bag
  • Bosch EasyPump air compressor
  • Dynaplug Pro Extreme stainless steel tire plug tool
  • Klein 8" needlenose pliers
  • Milton S-935 tire pressure gauge (Milton makes some of the best air/tire products in the business)
  • Gearwrench extendable 18-24" breaker bar
  • Mechanics gloves
  • Tarp
  • Olight tactical flashlight
  • 3-pack of Orion road flares
  • 3-ton scissor jack - modified military surplus M998 hummer jack

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ-Moonstone
Just to follow up: I reached out to the Slime people (ITW Global Tire Repair). Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting ITW Tire Repair. Our sealants can not be used in tires with foam. It will only spread a little but the foam will actually absorb it and sit in one spot.

This is from Karen Haydel, the Front Office Coordinator, in their San Luis Obispo office.

So I'm not going to get the Slime package that I had mentioned in my previous post. This might be why Tesla has stopping selling the Tesla Tire Repair Kit.

If I get a flat and I'm in the middle of nowhere and out of cell range, then I'm stuck. I wish someone would make a spare that actually fits in the frunk or the back undertrunk. Even a solid piece of rubber would be fine for an emergency. A "Modern Spare" is just too large for me as unsecured mass in the back behind the 2nd row seats and takes up too much room.

Or is it easy to rip the foam out of a Tesla OEM tire? I could have my local tire shop do it at my first tire rotation.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Just to follow up: I reached out to the Slime people (ITW Global Tire Repair). Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting ITW Tire Repair. Our sealants can not be used in tires with foam. It will only spread a little but the foam will actually absorb it and sit in one spot.

This is from Karen Haydel, the Front Office Coordinator, in their San Luis Obispo office.

So I'm not going to get the Slime package that I had mentioned in my previous post. This might be why Tesla has stopping selling the Tesla Tire Repair Kit.

If I get a flat and I'm in the middle of nowhere and out of cell range, then I'm stuck. I wish someone would make a spare that actually fits in the frunk or the back undertrunk. Even a solid piece of rubber would be fine for an emergency. A "Modern Spare" is just too large for me as unsecured mass in the back behind the 2nd row seats and takes up too much room.

Or is it easy to rip the foam out of a Tesla OEM tire? I could have my local tire shop do it at my first tire rotation.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
At the first opportunity just replace the OE tires with another brand or model tire that does not have the foam. You can also carry a tire plug kit in the Model Y.

Last edited:
I just saw this video about a woman getting a flat tire in her Tesla:

Basically, she called Tesla but they couldn't come out. So she called Les Schwab. They didn't have the right size tire, but they came out, removed her tire, patched it, and put it back. The thing that struck me was the statement at 4:09 in the video about lifting jacks. Not sure if she meant jack pads or actual jacks.

The key point is that for a lowered suspension with a flat tire, the clearance is very low. Perhaps that's why the Les Schwab guy couldn't jack it himself?

Regardless, since the Tesla doesn't easily have room for a spare and can't use goo in the OEM tire because of the foam inside the tire, a phone call is about the only solution.

I carry jack pads and will throw a jack in the frunk also just in case. After reading through this TMC thread on jacks:

I decided to get this Modern Spare jack since I have a MYLR and it should be high enough with a flat tire:

I would have preferred a hydraulic, but don't want leaking cylinders in the car.

Some people have also recommended a patch kit. However, my flats always seem to occur on the side-wall which is unfixable.

I'm disappointed that Tesla doesn't at least leave a space for a spare. There are lots of nooks and crannies, but none sized for a spare. I'd even be glad for a mini donut if it would fit somewhere out-of-sight. Tires are consumables and seem to fail with little warning and when there's no cell service...

Scott

--

Well, run flats would be another option if they came in the right size. Until airless tires are a widely available option there isn’t a great alternative to hauling around a spare you may never need. I’m the plug kit and compressor guy, should meet most of my needs. Yes, some people get flats regularly apparently but thats not been my experience. And I’ve never had a sidewall flat - short of hitting a curb how does that happen exactly?

Last edited:
Well, run flats would be another option if they came in the right size. Until airless tires are a widely available option there isn’t a great alternative to hauling around a spare you may never need. I’m the plug kit and compressor guy, should meet most of my needs. Yes, some people get flats regularly apparently but thats not been my experience. And I’ve never had a sidewall flat - short of hitting a curb how does that happen exactly?

I live near a construction area and gravel quarry. I seem to get nails/screws in my inside side walls. In 16 years, sidewall damage happened 3 times with my Infiniti M35. The M35 had a big spare tire in the compartment under the trunk (undertrunk) so it wasn't a problem. My 2021 MYLR replaced my 2006 M35. :)

With my MYLR, there isn't enough space in the undertrunk for a Modern Spare and I don't want to gobble up an enormous amount of space in the trunk for something I might only use once every 5 years. Once I replace the OEM tires (that contain the foam) I'll get foamless tires and a slime pump (Slime #50139). I just need something to get from the side of the road to the tire shop.

As I pointed out in Post #27, Tesla wouldn't come out to the woman with the flat. I live about 90 minutes from the nearest Tesla Service Center so I'm guessing that I'd be in the same boat as her and on-my-own. If I still have the Tesla OEM tires with the foam, then I'd have AAA pull it onto a flatbed then truck it back home or a tire shop. If I have foam-less tires at that point, I'd try the slime first; and call AAA if that fails (I have AAA Premier for long-distance service).

I just passed my 10,000 mile tire rotation. So once these tires wear out I'll be replacing them with foamless (noisy) tires that can actually be slimed or patched.

Scott

--

"The key point is that for a lowered suspension with a flat tire, the clearance is very low." I got 2 of this type, gave one to a Tesla friend, kept one. Now I can fit the jack under the car. Yes, something else to carry.
61ucxXX6aIL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Reactions: FlatSix911
I would be caution using that jack. From what I'm reading, it has a safe working load of 1000kg (2240 lbs). The Model Y LR AWD has a curb weight teetering over 2000kg (4500 lbs) unloaded. The general rule of thumb I learned was the working load needs to be 2/3 the weight of the vehicle at min. This was before super stiff vehicles like the MY existed, so I'm not sure if that napkin math works out.

While it's certainly possible to operate the jack and complete the tasks safely of swapping or repairing a tire, I just caution that this is eating up all factor of safety and the flustered, frustrated version of yourself who is on the side of the road needs to be very careful and deliberate when lifting the vehicle.

Alternatively, you can source a heavier, 2T (4000 lbs) scissor jack and have some piece of mind, though it will likely not be as compact and light as the aluminum version! I know this may be unreasonably cautious but scissorjacks are inherently unstable for the application we use them in and I would hate for our weight weenie tendencies (let's face it, weight = more kW) to drive a 200 dollar repair bill and 30 minute repair or swap through the rough.
I like your analysis and warning. Plus "roadside conditions" are not always your friend. However I really like this jack that has the
I would be caution using that jack. From what I'm reading, it has a safe working load of 1000kg (2240 lbs). The Model Y LR AWD has a curb weight teetering over 2000kg (4500 lbs) unloaded. The general rule of thumb I learned was the working load needs to be 2/3 the weight of the vehicle at min. This was before super stiff vehicles like the MY existed, so I'm not sure if that napkin math works out.

While it's certainly possible to operate the jack and complete the tasks safely of swapping or repairing a tire, I just caution that this is eating up all factor of safety and the flustered, frustrated version of yourself who is on the side of the road needs to be very careful and deliberate when lifting the vehicle.

Alternatively, you can source a heavier, 2T (4000 lbs) scissor jack and have some piece of mind, though it will likely not be as compact and light as the aluminum version! I know this may be unreasonably cautious but scissorjacks are inherently unstable for the application we use them in and I would hate for our weight weenie tendencies (let's face it, weight = more kW) to drive a 200 dollar repair bill and 30 minute repair or swap through the rough.
I appreciate your info and warning. Plus "roadside conditions" are not always your friend. However I really like the Porsche jack that has the built-in puck (when filed down to fit the MY). I carry two of them plus steel plates to address unstable ground. I have placed both jacks on the lift side and alternate lifting to equalize (mostly) the load on each. That should keep me within the working loads. Appreciate your thoughts...have I missed anything?

Agree...safety always important. I keep jacks/plugs/tools etc. in the MY and the Modern Spare kit at home while my wife drives her MY locally (I would meet her in my ICE to fix her flat). If we make road trip, I would take the Modern Spare with us.

and If roadside conditions are not acceptable, then AAA (and a good book) is my backup plan.

I am building my own flat repair kit as the premade ones generally contain inferior quality tools. I generally prefer USA or European made (and Taiwan made at the very least). I also considered Modern Spare but it seems too bulky. Here's what I am planning on putting together:
  • Klein 16" canvas tool bag
  • Bosch EasyPump air compressor
  • Dynaplug Pro Extreme stainless steel tire plug tool
  • Klein 8" needlenose pliers
  • Milton S-935 tire pressure gauge (Milton makes some of the best air/tire products in the business)
  • Gearwrench extendable 18-24" breaker bar
  • Mechanics gloves
  • Tarp
  • Olight tactical flashlight
  • 3-pack of Orion road flares
  • 3-ton scissor jack - modified military surplus M998 hummer jack
Thanks, great list. Quick question please....The M998 hummer jack minimum "appears" to be about 6 3/4 inches. Any clearance issues to engage lift holes when tire is flat?

Thanks, great list. Quick question please....The M998 hummer jack minimum "appears" to be about 6 3/4 inches. Any clearance issues to engage lift holes when tire is flat?
The M998 jack will fit under a stock MYLR but maybe not the performance version since it is slightly lower. The minimum includes the approximately 1-1/4" tall stud on top of the jack pad, so the actual height is something more like 5 1/2". Also, the jack pad articulates so it should be easy to locate it into the lift hole even with a flat tire.

There is also some modification of the jack required as the stud that fits in the lift hole has too large of a diameter. What I did was cut off the lift pad on the M998 and weld on one of the Safe Jack 18M-P08 jack pads designed for the Rennstand. It worked perfectly. I'll probably start a new thread showing the modifications I made to that jack.

The M998 jack will fit under a stock MYLR but maybe not the performance version since it is slightly lower. The minimum includes the approximately 1-1/4" tall stud on top of the jack pad, so the actual height is something more like 5 1/2". Also, the jack pad articulates so it should be easy to locate it into the lift hole even with a flat tire.

There is also some modification of the jack required as the stud that fits in the lift hole has too large of a diameter. What I did was cut off the lift pad on the M998 and weld on one of the Safe Jack 18M-P08 jack pads designed for the Rennstand. It worked perfectly. I'll probably start a new thread showing the modifications I made to that jack.
Thanks. Another question please...Rather than welding on the Rennstand pad, is there adequate material on the M998 stud (that fits in the lift hole) to just file/grind down to the correct diameter?

I use the Rennstands for rotating the tires...love them.

Thanks. Another question please...Rather than welding on the Rennstand pad, is there adequate material on the M998 stud (that fits in the lift hole) to just file/grind down to the correct diameter?

I use the Rennstands for rotating the tires...love them.
There is enough material. I think the stud is 1” diameter or so IIRC. I thought about turning it down in my lathe but welding on a Rennstand pad was easier lol.