Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you guys do in the rare Dallas ice storms/snow? (Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

7racer

Jun 13, 2011
Hey everyone,

I just got my inventory Model S for the replacement of my totaled Roadster :(

I am thoroughly enjoying the new luxury but contemplating what will happen come winter. I plan to sell my VW sportwagen that I routinely used in the crazy Dallas ice storm and snow. It was easy to drive with front wheel drive in those conditions.

However, with the S, do you guys do anything different? I have 21s with the continentals. Will it handle in those conditions?

Actually this is a good idea...You cannot believe how many people in Dallas ..don't know how to drive when it snows....
That's because it doesn't snow; it ices. Or, rather, any frozen precipitation melts and refreezes overnight, leaving a layer of ice on the roads. And nobody can drive on that. It's the "foreigners" who think, "it's just a quarter inch of snow" that go out and cause all the accidents.

I actually grew up, up north and drove in some nasty ice/snow weather. But ice storms can be tricky with summer tires.

I would love to stay at home (and mostly do) but sometimes patients still come in so usually we have a skeleton crew at the office if the roads look at least half passible.

I think that maybe I've stayed home once in the time I've been here. However, I always have had appropriate tires. Anyway, most of the vehicles I see in the ditch are all wheel drive vehicles.

With summer tires you should stay home. Summer tires are awful in a 1/4" of fluffy snow let alone ice. AWD doesn't do a darn thing for you when you try to stop. The all-seasons on the Tesla work quite well though, even with RWD.

What do you mean ..I am not sure I get what you are saying..
People who are familiar with the weather in Texas know better than to try to drive on ice. The folks who have moved here recently, especially from places that experience actual snow, don't realize that we're dealing with something completely different. There does not exist a "proper tire" for driving on ice, and no amount of cold-weather experience will prepare you to attempt it. Folks like to joke about how Texas shuts down when it snows. But we do that for a reason.

People who are familiar with the weather in Texas know better than to try to drive on ice. The folks who have moved here recently, especially from places that experience actual snow, don't realize that we're dealing with something completely different. There does not exist a "proper tire" for driving on ice, and no amount of cold-weather experience will prepare you to attempt it. Folks like to joke about how Texas shuts down when it snows. But we do that for a reason.

Agreed on what you are saying ...

A bit of clarification on the "foreigners" comment. In Texas we don't salt the roads, we don't have the equipment for it. We might put sand down on bridges and overpasses which helps a bit (or sometimes just creates dirtier ice). People who are accustomed to real winter weather are also accustomed to the roads being salted. If you assume that the roads in Texas are salted during ice storms you are in for an unhappy surprise.