Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is causing the limited tow capability of the new Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First: I think that a towing capacity increase will come with later models. Competing with F150 and F250 is just not possible in one model vehicle. All the components that go into heavier towing need to change. Brakes, tires, frame, towbar etc.

Second: With the weight just over 6000 pounds, it is way lighter than a diesel 3500 which is around 8500 pounds. Most states allow CGWR (Combined Gross Weight Rating which includes the weight of the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle) of 26000 pounds for class C licenses, so that is not really at issue here. The CGWR for the Cybertruck Dual motor is going to be about 6000+2500+11000 = 18500 pounds. (Actual weight + Load carrying capacity + trailer weight)

Lastly: I think the idea of an extended range battery has a lot of great potential. It is going to be a toolbox size battery that can be added in the bed for those who want higher range. It would also increase the available power for on site utilization of the power, or to power your home. It will obviously weigh quite a bit, so installing and removing will be a little challenging but that can be managed with some improved garage tooling. If you could use it as a power source at home when you don't need the range, that would be even better. I see a lot of comments talking about a rental option from Tesla Service Centers as well. All great ideas. The price seems to be $15000 at the moment.

Here is a pic of the extended range battery in the bed of the Cybertruck.
View attachment 995488
Thanks for the info on that. I could see, if you want the extra bed space sometimes and other times you need the range, having some kind of winch system on the ceiling of your garage where you park it. You hook the winch on and pull it up to the lid of your garage. When you need it, you drop it back down into place. Would make that install/deinstall real easy!

Thanks for the info on that. I could see, if you want the extra bed space sometimes and other times you need the range, having some kind of winch system on the ceiling of your garage where you park it. You hook the winch on and pull it up to the lid of your garage. When you need it, you drop it back down into place. Would make that install/deinstall real easy!
Or you could buy a crane and have it handy when needed…

Honestly, it's not a tow challenge. It's a pull challenge. Still the CT did surprisingly well.

It's not all about power and torque. Traction is also important. Notice the other trucks appear to be sporting street tires. The CT has the off road tire advantage.

Also important is payload. Notice the Rivian and CT squat terribly from the beginning. Not so much with the F150EV or F350. This is where towing is important. All sort of bad things can happen when you tow with a pickup front end pointing to the stars - loss of steering, braking, and can result in jackknifing.

I suspect the F350 would have a full pull with CT comparable off road tires. There's a reason the pull expert recommended an F350 comparison. The other EVs would do better with offroad tires too but I doubt they would have full pulls. Setup all the EV pickup with higher payload capacities and offroad tires and I wouldn't be surprised if they all did full pulls.

View attachment 995487
Here is the problem with the video. It shows that a Tesla Truck has the power capable of pulling 40k lbs, yet the specs only say a max of 11k. So there has to be some factor that is limiting it. What's to say that after the CT pulled that load, it wasn't deemed "totaled" because the tow hitch, while it did not come off of the truck, did bend the frame some? There are many things out there that have specs that can technically be exceeded at the compromise of safety. As a pilot, I can tell you that I've seen plenty of planes with a max weight rating of 500 lbs with full fuel tanks, take off with 800+ lbs in it in passengers and many people do it all of the time, despite it being illegal and dangerous. Just because it technically can, doesn't mean it safely can.

Since even the top model of the CT can't pull more than 11k lbs, I'm guessing it has to do with the framing of the truck. I saw someone else pointed out that the CT is much lighter than the F-350 (by more than 2k lbs) so perhaps they should have considered adding a little more weight and adding some more structural support, being that it is in fact supposed to be competing with trucks, and thus reinforcing the ability to tow greater loads. In addition, while it would add weight, assuming they are doing a lot of carbon fiber/aluminum framing, the steel would be cheaper costs, which would allow them to increase load and tow capacity while also reducing the retail price. It would effect the range some, but lets be honest, adding 500 extra lbs of weight to a 6k lb vehicle isn't going to make a massive hit on the overall max range without a load and trailer. The load and the trailer are what will give a massive impact on your range.

I feel like what Elon built is a modern version of an El Camino. Looks like a... well not realy a car or a truck... a halo vehicle - a 50cal, has a bed like a truck, but has the specs of a car and rides like a car. Not a good way to compete in the truck market.

Here is the problem with the video. It shows that a Tesla Truck has the power capable of pulling 40k lbs, yet the specs only say a max of 11k. So there has to be some factor that is limiting it. What's to say that after the CT pulled that load, it wasn't deemed "totaled" because the tow hitch, while it did not come off of the truck, did bend the frame some? There are many things out there that have specs that can technically be exceeded at the compromise of safety. As a pilot, I can tell you that I've seen plenty of planes with a max weight rating of 500 lbs with full fuel tanks, take off with 800+ lbs in it in passengers and many people do it all of the time, despite it being illegal and dangerous. Just because it technically can, doesn't mean it safely can.

Since even the top model of the CT can't pull more than 11k lbs, I'm guessing it has to do with the framing of the truck. I saw someone else pointed out that the CT is much lighter than the F-350 (by more than 2k lbs) so perhaps they should have considered adding a little more weight and adding some more structural support, being that it is in fact supposed to be competing with trucks, and thus reinforcing the ability to tow greater loads. In addition, while it would add weight, assuming they are doing a lot of carbon fiber/aluminum framing, the steel would be cheaper costs, which would allow them to increase load and tow capacity while also reducing the retail price. It would effect the range some, but lets be honest, adding 500 extra lbs of weight to a 6k lb vehicle isn't going to make a massive hit on the overall max range without a load and trailer. The load and the trailer are what will give a massive impact on your range.

I feel like what Elon built is a modern version of an El Camino. Looks like a... well not realy a car or a truck... a halo vehicle - a 50cal, has a bed like a truck, but has the specs of a car and rides like a car. Not a good way to compete in the truck market.

Lots of speculation.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Not a lot we can do without being given any facts and Tesla isn't telling us why it's limited to 11k. Despite them showing off it pulling 40k lbs, they still capped it at 11k, so all we can do is speculate until they share some more insight on it.

Oh no.... there seems to be a LOT that people are doing. Read the last 23 pages.

How about bash the crap out of it for the next 23 pages.

Please let me know when all the speculation/bashing stops and the real facts are out.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Oh no.... there seems to be a LOT that people are doing. Read the last 23 pages.

How about bash the crap out of it for the next 23 pages.

Please let me know when all the speculation/bashing stops and the real facts are out.
Really, fanboy/shill speculation and hype has been going on for four years in many threads and forums. Where are all those folks today? Ah, the hypocrisy of it all…

To Each 🍻

If you look at the right front wheel on the Cybertruck it is barely touching the ground. Not what you want towing a Trailer. The Super Duty wheels are solidly planted on the ground and the Truck is almost level
1701466993169.png

1701466542248.png