Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is causing the limited tow capability of the new Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets say the media was accurate with the reservation count of 2mil reservations. At $100/reservation, that's $200mil. If he advertised more fair numbers, I'd say it's safe to say, he'd prob still have about 1.5m reservations, so he'd lose $50mil of "interest free money". How much money do they lose if the stock market drops 5-10% with billions of dollars invested because people aren't happy with the results, AND they have to give back $100mil or 50% of the reservations from people canceling? When that loss is reported by Tesla to the public, the stocks fall again. There is a reason large corporations focus more on stock value than taking care of the individual customers.
No disagreement from me on that. Elon’s strategy to counter today’s disappoint is to hype the next big thing. TeslaBot ring a bell? Last spring, during AI/investors day, The Great Charlatan said all of the value, yes all, was in the TeslaBot, not cars. Just one example of this clown’s antics.

In daily use, I wonder how many people who own Rivians, Cybertrucks, Silverados or RAMs will be doing these kind of pulls with their trucks? I'm not talking about towing 11,000 pounds, but rather attempting 40,000 pound pulls. Likely ZERO....

P.S. And if you say, "Stump pulling" the extra feet in those pulls won't make a real world difference - tires will. Oh wait, didn't the Cybertruck use All Terrain and the other All Season?! 🤣
Not so sure . things do come up from time to time. But yeah who is going to try to do full size sled pulls .

I once pulled a 64 [passenger school bus backwards out of a ditch with my Jeep Honcho. Before we got 2 tractors we needed to drag large square hay bales off of a 5th wheel trailer every year.
Total weight of about 11000lb but it had to skidded off of the trailer as a set of 8 1300+ lb bales at one time. the RAM did it but had to be jerked a few feet at a time. Also have pulled several vehicles out of the ditch over the years.

I HOPE the Cybertruck is Overbuilt as far as the structure is concerned, that said seen a few one ton ICE trucks with broken frames over the years. I really want to see Cybertrucks in ten years that have taken a beating and just keep on ticking..

It was impressive with the sled Pull but did notice the angle of the attachment and by angling the hook up upward to the Cyber truck it really helps attain max traction on the rear axle. It is only fair to do the same with the ICE truck as well.
Overall impressed with the Cyber truck , but do not believe any pure electric Pick up is a Natural for long distance towing heavy. In that case Give me another RAM 3500 with Cummins power.

Cybertruck will make a great 4X4 high powered sport truck.

Last edited:
I think the primary issue is that it's poor business practice and it lets fans and investors down. Think of the stock market. When a company releases expected revenues and they are conservative of what those numbers will be, when they over-deliver, people invest. When a company consistently is conservative with their numbers and consistently over-delivers, that stock continues to climb. When a company however, over-estimates and under-delivers, the stock values drop.

Elon could have gone conservative with the specs 4 years ago and still have been offering a one of a kind, nobody had one product. At the time, I don't think anyone yet, had released an electric truck. Then when these specs were finally released now, if they met or exceeded the expectations, people would be happy and excited. Then, in a year from now, as you are pointing out, if they push the limits and jump into the 500mile range, they look even better.

Video games people looked forward to for years end up failing because on release date, all of the things they promised, haven't been implemented into the game. By the time the developers finally get all of the features into the game, the hype is over and nobody is playing it anymore.

Tesla created a great product and has had a great run, but Elon is still banking on the fan boys to keep him above ground. The hype is not what it once was. It's like fans being disappointed with the movie The Matrix 2+. Because the most important aspect that made the first movie so awesome "What is the Matrix?" was answered in the first one. There was no longer that mind blowing concept. Electric cars are here. It's no longer a mind blowing concept. Other companies are building them and selling them. Tesla needs to back down on the ego and focus on the facts. "We can make this size battery pack put out 300 mile range currently. We plan to put the same physical size pack in the new vehicle that will be releasing in 4 years. We can estimate that the battery tech will have improved so much that we will get 500 mile range out of the same size pack, but lets stay conservative with 300 miles and then if we hit 500 miles, it will be a huge surprise to our customer base and excite them" is how this should have been approached.

In the end, they are using old tactics that worked because of all of the hype. The hype is dying. They need to change it up and start being conservative with specs of future products or they are going to suffer in the stock market dramatically and Elon is going to have to find someone who wants to buy X and turn it back to Twitter to keep Tesla afloat ;)

Great post.

Do you think that the lack of any new CT or Tesla information yesterday by Tesla's/Elon's was on purpose? I mean he had only 2 topics and look at what it has done here in TMC.

1. Video of the CT beating a Porsche - while towing a Porsche.
2. Video of the CT pulling some kind of weight.

He literally did NO future promising or current production numbers.

Nothing on giga casting or battery pack size or cell type or anything.

Not so sure . things do come up from time to time. But yeah who is going to try to do full size sled pulls .

I once pulled a 64 [passenger school bus backwards out of a ditch with my Jeep Honcho. Before we got 2 tractors we needed to drag large square hay bales off of a 5th wheel trailer every year.
Total weight of about 11000lb but it had to skidded off of the trailer as a set of 8 1300+ lb bales at one time. the RAM did it but had to be jerked a few feet at a time. Also have pulled several vehicles out of the ditch over the years.

I HOPE the Cybertruck is Overbuilt as far as the structure is concerned, that said seen a few one ton ICE trucks with broken frames over the years. I really want to see Cybertrucks in ten years that have taken a beating and just keep on ticking..

It was impressive with the sled Pull but did notice the angle of the attachment and by angling the hook up upward to the Cyber truck it really helps attain max traction on the rear axle. It is only fair to do the same with the ICE truck as well.
Overall impressed with the Cyber truck , but do not believe any pure electric Pick up is a Natural for long distance towing heavy. In that case Give me another RAM 3500 with Cummins power.

Well, There should have been a video on the CT doing that. You might have been impressed its ditch pulling capabilities.

More an exception, than the norm, if they do.

Look. It really doesn't matter what video/data Tesla puts out.

It really doesn't matter what happens. People are going to trash it.
There are people who wanted to buy a CT and are legitimately disappointed by the specs and the price. But there are also people who just hate Tesla, EVs or Musk and one can't easily discern motivation of any of the detractors.

Personally, I don't think Tesla cares about all the complaining. They will easily sell all the CTs that they can produce. And the optional product offerings will be a gold mine for Tesla and aftermarket vendors. BTW, speaking of the off-road aftermarket, I never did post a photo of my dearly departed Suzuki, so here it is:
IMG_20231124_152136~3.jpg

There are people who wanted to buy a CT and are legitimately disappointed by the specs and the price. But there are also people who just hate Tesla, EVs or Musk and one can't easily discern motivation of any of the detractors.

Personally, I don't think Tesla cares about all the complaining. They will easily sell all the CTs that they can produce. And the optional product offerings will be a gold mine for Tesla and aftermarket vendors. BTW, speaking of the off-road aftermarket, I never did post a photo of my dearly departed Suzuki, so here it is:View attachment 995598
Is it dearly departed because she took it in the divorce? *grin* (That was a joke. Hope that isn't what actually happened! ;)

Hard to quantify since it's highly dependent on the drag / aero of what you're towing.. they could provide the range of a Tesla RV in the future but they are not breaking physics vs the lightning or r1t

Hard to quantify?

No way.

There are hundreds of thousands of posts about CT range here. We have plenty of quantifying experts here - even though Tesla has said NOTHING about towing range.

Reactions: zoomer0056
What is the towing range?

I don't see it on the Tesla website.
I can't imagine it's good. I know that long range driving at higher speeds hurts battery range dramatically. The freeways where I'm at are average 70mph and traffic averages 75-80mph. If I keep up those speeds, I'd be lucky to get 220 mile range with my M3P. I have a job that's actually about 110 miles from me I frequent and one of the two directions, I have to chill at 70 or lower in the slow lane in order to be able to make the round trip without having to stop at a supercharger. I can only imagine what the range would be if I had an 11,000 lb load being towed behind me. My battery is 75kw, but it's rated at a mile range cost of about 220-250w/mile.

The CT has not released what the battery pack size is, however their website does report based on the CyberBeast, it can charge at up to 250kwh and can charge up to 128 mile range in 15 minutes. Doing the math, at max charge rate of 250kwh, that would be 62.5kw in 15 minutes. If 15 minutes gives 128 mile range, that means 62.5kw is 128 mile range without a load and without a tow. Breaks down to 488w/mile. At 320 mile range, it would imply the battery is 156KwH.

If you get 220 mile range at higher speeds like I get (which is probably a fairly accurate assumption), imagine what you'd get if you were towing 11000 lbs, plus the air drag on that trailer down the freeway. Now you are likely getting less than 150 mile range. Stop at a supercharger and while there are some 250kwh, 150kwh chargers are far more common. That supercharger is going to take 30 mins to get you from 10% to 60% if it charges at max speed (which I rarely see from any supercharger). A 30 min stop every few hours of driving is just not efficient. The last 100kwh supercharger I stopped at, I couldn't get above 70kwh and when I stopped at the last 150kwh charger, I got a max of 110kwh.

Reactions: Hank42 and gt2690b
The point being, we have to stop often to “tap a kidney,” however, said tapping takes far less time than charging requires.

You are correct...but.

I am at the age where I don't have to do everything quickly. I really don't care.

I'm retired with plenty of time and money with nothing to do but type stuff on this forum all day. Not in a rush.

The other day I was at a Super Charger and got out of my car and watched an ant crawl the entire length of my car carrying a small Potatoe chip. It was fascinating.

• Funny
Reactions: thyname and gt2690b