Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What documents are needed to be uploaded to complete order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been asked before but my searching skills came up empty.
I want to be prepared when my number comes up.
What documents are needed to be uploaded to complete my configuration order?
Thanks

1443626157093[1].gif

You will need a copy of the front and back of the the drivers license for all registered owners and a copy of your insurance card. I took photos of them on my phone, then easily uploaded them. You also need to place a $2,500 non-refundable payment via credit card.

It doesn’t need to be the Model 3 on there. They just need to see that you have insurance.

Also would point out that your name needs to appear on the insurance card. I was under my parent’s insurance so for my case, my name didn’t appear on my current insurance card. I uploaded the insurance card for the policy I purchased for the 3 once I got a VIN.

Reactions: RUNSILNT and goto10
I'm sure I'm missing something. Why does Tesla need your insurance info at all let alone before they build the car? It's not your car (and doesn't need your insurance coverage) until it's delivered and you get title. It's your responsibility to notify your insurance company of the addition to your policy, when it's to be effective, and the particulars of the car you purchased. I've never had a car company/dealer even ask if I have insurance; I notify my insurance company when I get the car.

I'm sure I'm missing something. Why does Tesla need your insurance info at all let alone before they build the car? It's not your car (and doesn't need your insurance coverage) until it's delivered and you get title. It's your responsibility to notify your insurance company of the addition to your policy, when it's to be effective, and the particulars of the car you purchased. I've never had a car company/dealer even ask if I have insurance; I notify my insurance company when I get the car.

This part is a bit hazy. I provided my insurance info for my current car immediately after placing my order but once I finally heard from my ISA she said I need to provide proof of insurance with my Model 3 VIN listed on it. I added my Model 3 to my Geico policy to be effective on my delivery date and emailed the evidence of coverage to my ISA.

As for never having to show a car dealer proof of insurance before driving off of the lot, I’m not sure how it works in IL but in NJ they are not allowed to let you drive away until your car has been added to your policy. Everytime I’ve purchased a car the dealer I’m working with has called my insurance company and they fax over proof of insurance to the dealership.

How long does your build stay in 'pending payment method'? I have selected Tesla to provide financing and all it says is I will complete this as the delivery date gets closer? Ordered on 2/28 and been very quiet since that day.

My 2/22 order remained with a pending status for the payment until I heard from my ISA and I was then able to fill out additional information in the payment section.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
Another piece of documentation that you may be asked to provide if you have it is a copy of the title to your trade-in vehicle. My ISA asked for this after I had completed the trade-in self evaluation on my Tesla account. The trade-in self evaluation was not enabled until shortly before I heard from my ISA.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
As for never having to show a car dealer proof of insurance before driving off of the lot, I’m not sure how it works in IL but in NJ they are not allowed to let you drive away until your car has been added to your policy. Everytime I’ve purchased a car the dealer I’m working with has called my insurance company and they fax over proof of insurance to the dealership.

So this may just be an IL quirk that doesn't seem to work elsewhere. That makes a lot of sense in terms of why they might request the insurance docs.

So this may just be an IL quirk that doesn't seem to work elsewhere. That makes a lot of sense in terms of why they might request the insurance docs.

Honestly I’m shocked that this is the case in IL. If you’re doing any kind of financing there is zero chance your lien holder would ever allow your vehicle to be without insurance for even a second. My credit union asked for my current insurance info before they even processed my loan application.

Honestly I’m shocked that this is the case in IL. If you’re doing any kind of financing there is zero chance your lien holder would ever allow your vehicle to be without insurance for even a second. My credit union asked for my current insurance info before they even processed my loan application.

Previous cars had no financing so could be that you're right and I just never went through that process.

Previous cars had no financing so could be that you're right and I just never went through that process.

Yes, this makes the most sense. If you’re buying your car in cash the dealership really doesn’t care if you have insurance or not, they’ve got all their money already and no lien holder to answer to. However my father just purchased a car a few weeks ago with cash and still had to take care of all of the insurance stuff at the dealership before driving off of the lot. Might be a state specific law / requirement but this is how things work in NJ anyways.

Why does Tesla need your insurance info at all let alone before they build the car?
It is not necessary to build the car, and it is not Tesla that requires it. In California (for instance) proof of liability insurance is legally required to SELL any new car. The insurance proof can be for any car as long as it is current. I don't know about requirements for other states.