Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does this dotted yellow line mean on the dash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2019-11-15_21-36-4.jpeg

What does this dashed line mean? Never saw it before; gone now.

Most likely you're referring to yellow dashed portion on the lower half of the energy usage display. It is the limitation of the regenerative braking, the amount of said limitation dependent on the number of yellow dashes displayed. It is supposedly due to a 'cold battery'. I have recently been having difficulty with substantial limitations on the amount of available regeneration with my garaged Model S, and at what I would consider fairly moderate temperatures (50's and 60's). Have contacted Tesla Service about the problem and the only response I have received is "cold battery" as the cause. I fear that if this is indeed true, regenerative braking will completely cease when truly cold temperatures occur.

[QUOTE="Jim T, post: 4206550, member: 65210" I fear that if this is indeed true, regenerative braking will completely cease when truly cold temperatures occur.[/QUOTE]

I believe driving warms the battery, even in sub zero temps, and regenerative braking increases as it warms. I get dashed lines when battery is at a high rate of charge, which decreases braking until the battery can take the regeneration, and on the other end when battery is cold. Driving corrects both, so just enjoy your ride.

...dashed line mean?...

Dear BBCA:

According to page 61 of your manual:

"On the Energy graph, dashed lines appear on the power meter if Model S is limiting power.

The dashed lines appear on the top portion (energy being used) when power available for acceleration is being limited, and on the bottom portion (energy being gained) when power that can be gained by regenerative braking is limited.

Model S limits power for many reasons. Here are just a few examples:

Acceleration may be limited when the Battery is reaching a low state of charge or if the powertrain is hot.

Both acceleration and regenerative braking may be limited when the ambient temperature is either very high or very low.

Regenerative braking may be limited when the Battery is fully charged."

Have a nice weekend,

Tâm

[QUOTE="Jim T, post: 4206550, member: 65210" I fear that if this is indeed true, regenerative braking will completely cease when truly cold temperatures occur.

I believe driving warms the battery, even in sub zero temps, and regenerative braking increases as it warms. I get dashed lines when battery is at a high rate of charge, which decreases braking until the battery can take the regeneration, and on the other end when battery is cold. Driving corrects both, so just enjoy your ride.[/QUOTE]

Have tried to heat the battery, by both charging the battery to 50 to 60% and leaving the charge cable connected, and heating the cabin, with limited results. Unfortunately my daily driving is for only a few miles at a time, all in stop-and-go city driving, having little if any effect on increasing the regenerative braking, which remains limited to 30 per cent to 50 percent at best. Bottom line is that I actually have to use the mechanical brakes quite frequently to slow down/stop. Something that I rarely if ever had to do with my 2017 Model S, that I drove through two winters. To be specific, the 'regen problem' is with my new 2019 Model S of 3 months that includes the 'Raven upgrades' (Model 3 motor/ 370 mile range.)

Last edited:
So I have the same exact issue and I got my model S just two months ago. I figured this is standard cold weather behavior, older model S vehicles didn’t have this problem or as severe?

I also wish there was a way to schedule or kick off the battery heater. Seems only way is when your using scheduled departure which sucks because it requires a fixed time when you want to use the car plus it’s plugged in for charging, and can’t be triggered via the app. Seems like Tesla could change this through an app change with more scheduling control.

So I have the same exact issue and I got my model S just two months ago. I figured this is standard cold weather behavior, older model S vehicles didn’t have this problem or as severe?

I also wish there was a way to schedule or kick off the battery heater. Seems only way is when your using scheduled departure which sucks because it requires a fixed time when you want to use the car plus it’s plugged in for charging, and can’t be triggered via the app. Seems like Tesla could change this through an app change with more scheduling control.

So, it's not just me... If you've had your Model S for two months then you also have the recent "Raven upgrade" (370 mile range). My 2017 Model S, now being driven by my son, does not have, nor did it it previously have, an issue with excessive regenerative braking loss. I have attempted to heat the battery every way I can think of with little success at increasing regenerative braking. I am starting to get a sinking feeling that this issue is connected to the Raven upgrade (includes use of Model 3 motor). So far, there are only at best a few thousand upgraded Model S in use. Be interesting to see if this particular complaint increases as more Raven upgrades hit the road... Please post if you come up with a solution... I will do the same.

Tried turning off the "range mode" with no apparent effect on regenerative braking. At least, it definitely did not fix the problem.

See Tam’s response above; it is something that is a new byproduct of the software updates; it only recently showed up for me once my estimated remaining miles dipped below 70 miles; it disappeared once I got my car to the Supercharger. I have 2013 P85 w 60K miles

See Tam’s response above; it is something that is a new byproduct of the software updates; it only recently showed up for me once my estimated remaining miles dipped below 70 miles; it disappeared once I got my car to the Supercharger. I have 2013 P85 w 60K miles

Yeah, your original "dashed line" post had to do a yellow dashed line on "power being used side", not the lower "regenerative braking power supplied" side, as I had mistakenly assumed without looking at the provided display pic file. I'd never seen a dashed yellow line associated with "power used" (nor a display of that era before). The 'yellow dashes", which with I am well familiar from my 2017 Model S, have always been on the regenerative braking portion of the (newer era) display.

P.S. Also in error using

Last edited:
the dashes indicated reduced power output due to low SOC.

Of perhaps only academic interest, the display provided shows a limit of approx. 240 kW. With your 60 kWh battery were you to drive at that limit you would drain your battery from completely charged to empty in 15 minutes. (240 Kw x 1/4 hr = 60 kWh) So that limit would likely come into play only in the case of very strong acceleration, not every day driving.