Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What electrical plug should I install..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zambono

Mar 1, 2016
DC
Getting a house built in Costa del Sol and want to have it EV ready, or almost ready. Here in the US I have a nema 4-50 socket connected to 50 amps, what is the equivalent in Europe so that EV drivers can charge easily using their own chargers? Thanks

Probably a 32A blue commando which will give you 7kW single phase (230/240V)

Tesla UMC adapter.

Note though a lot of Europe has 3 phase power which would give you up to 11kW in the 3 (and higher with S/X) with the proper wall charger.

Beautiful area. I've got relatives with a place in Sotogrande.

Thanks for the info, I take it Tesla’s are delivered with mobile chargers in Europe. Will that blue comando work? For now I just want to leave it ready, at the very least conduit and a panel.

Probably a 32A blue commando which will give you 7kW single phase (230/240V)

Tesla UMC adapter.

Note though a lot of Europe has 3 phase power which would give you up to 11kW in the 3 (and higher with S/X) with the proper wall charger.

Beautiful area. I've got relatives with a place in Sotogrande.
Just saw your link thanks, so 32amp charging in going to guess it needs a 40 amp circuit. I hadn’t realized the new chargers charge at 32, mine is a 40amp charger.

That blue connector that was provided by Tesla is only suitable for Tesla cars as they have modified it to give 32A on one pin. I would suggest to make you house ready by just adding common CEE 3phase 5-pin socket as Tesla cars sold in EU are equipped with mating plug. This will give you 11kW and app. 33miles/h. Only difference is in provided amperage, weather your local power provider can give you 32A or 16A? That 32A is already quite exceptional as commonly on residential areas they are reluctant to provide higher than 16A. That Tesla plug is rated for 16A

Some photos to attached, if you choose to purchase that plug separately then you need to know what gen. UMC the car has as it might not fit. Mine looks like this:
288A884E-C1E9-4589-80BF-20B8B5C61F49.jpeg

Here is one chart where you can see approximate charging values:
519A1499-B4B5-4055-B47C-AB6BA5F532D0.png