Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Fsd Vs Ap Functionality Is There In The Uk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At a Tesla AI day last August the Musk hinted about a new chip, produced by Samsung, that he referred to as “Hardware 4”. Could it be that, despite repeated promises, HW3 is incapable of delivering true FSD?

There is very strong reliable evidence that the redundancy built into HW3 has needed to be utilised for Autopilot/FSD and from the FSD beta release notes that they are having to rework/optimise things possibly in an attempt to get (even non redundancy) HW3 to cope. Tesla seem to have under estimated the amount of resources needed for FSD which wouldn't have been an issue had they not have proclaimed quite a few years ago now that FSD was a solved problem even with HW3 and redundancy. I remember being amazed when HW3 was first released that it would have a frame rate of iirc 2000fps, yet its mooted to be struggling at less than 30fps with its fairly low resolution camera suite, let alone with more/better cameras rumoured on likes of Cybertruck and beyond.

I don’t know what FSD sees through the current cameras, but the images for Teslacam are very poor.

The cameras are not intended to be transmitting video to the central processor, they are intended to process the visual signal and figure out what "objects" there are. Case in point, the reversing camera I had on the M3 was dreadful at night, very hard to see anything in low light. Probably chosen for its ability for object-identification, rather than good visuals at night. Or might have been cost of course ...

At a Tesla AI day last August the Musk hinted about a new chip, produced by Samsung, that he referred to as “Hardware 4”. Could it be that, despite repeated promises, HW3 is incapable of delivering true FSD?

There has also been a hint somewhere about upgraded cameras. I don’t know what FSD sees through the current cameras, but the images for Teslacam are very poor.
HW3 as originally promised (full redundancy) does not seem up to the task, therefore, they're throwing hardware at it..
On the flip side, when they actually solve the problems then they can focus on code optimisation