Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Fsd Vs Ap Functionality Is There In The Uk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused by people claiming resistance to the wheel from Autopilot when indicating & turning (both TACC & auto steer enabled). I've always found that the indicator completely cancels auto steer and there is zero resistance to the wheel, not even slight. It's been this way for the 14k miles & nearly two years since new.

Doubt it, a lot of people who paid for EAP for exactly this reason will be clamoring for a refund.
I understood EAP provides "Auto Lane Change", which sounds like something very different to the manual lane change that we've been discussing (simply changing lane manually without cancelling TACC and automatically resuming Auto Steer just like, for example, a 2017 Golf or Fiat e500 ... without wrestling the steering wheel and a zillion bongs). Or maybe Auto Lane Change isn't automatic?

Reactions: spooksman
I understood EAP provides "Auto Lane Change", which sounds like something very different to the manual lane change that we've been discussing (simply changing lane manually without cancelling TACC and automatically resuming Auto Steer just like, for example, a 2017 Golf or Fiat e500 ... without wrestling the steering wheel and a zillion bongs). Or maybe Auto Lane Change isn't automatic?

in europe and UK its not. the car says ‘hey you should probably change lanes here - if you agree please indicate in the direction of the lane we’re showing you on the display’ and then after you indicate it changes lane.

If it was fully automatic in NoA then maybe they’d be more likely to push auto lane change on indicating into AP.

Reactions: M3LR21
I'm confused by people claiming resistance to the wheel from Autopilot when indicating & turning (both TACC & auto steer enabled). I've always found that the indicator completely cancels auto steer and there is zero resistance to the wheel, not even slight. It's been this way for the 14k miles & nearly two years since new.
I find that it is more than just indicating to make it disengage, it takes about four flashes of the indicator before the AP disengages and the wheel becomes light and easy to move.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I've always found that the indicator completely cancels auto steer

When do you get the bing-bong that AP has disengaged? when you indicate or when you (then) steer? IME it is the latter (if I cancel the turn signal AP is still engaged)

"Auto Lane Change", which sounds like something very different to the manual lane change

In EAP / FSD the car will suggest changing lanes. IME it often isn't when I would change lanes.
  • Move to nearside shortly before an on-ramp when there may well be merging traffic
  • In outside lane, below cruise set-speed, when there is space on nearside. Clearly the guy in front is holding me up!
  • Move away from cones in roadworks

• Change lanes to move to nearside before an upcoming exit (on NoA). That is definitely useful given the number of times I've sailed past my intended exit despite SatNav shouting at me!

Separately from that at any time you can indicate and the car will change lanes (if safe etc.). That avoids (on standard AP) having to disengage / re-engage AP on each lane change, with accompanying bing-bong which can be annoying for sleeping passengers (Joe Mode improves that)

Interesting. I'll try it again, maybe something has changed

I used to feel like I had to wrench the wheel but tried making sure I was putting pressure on the wheel (so the car was 'happy' I was paying attention as needed for AP) and then indicating just 'releases' cleanly. So if you happen to be loosening pressure and occationally pressing when you get nagged etc - that may not release cleanly. At least thats what I've found.

I'm also tempted by EAP solely for auto lane change - holding out for a free trial soon, or might buy and refund next time I'm doing a long trip

I'm also tempted by EAP solely for auto lane change - holding out for a free trial soon, or might buy and refund next time I'm doing a long trip
Don't do it! Having experienced EAP for 4 years on our MX and bog standard AP on our Model 3, I can strongly advise saving your money. The auto-lane-change is not that amazing and can actually be quite frustrating at times. It's just too slow and ponderous for my liking. There are much better things to spend £3.5k on. Pretty much anything else really!

Bog standard AP on the other hand I find quite a good compromise. As you say, indicating largely solves the issue of cancelling auto-steer and Joe Mode makes the bing-bongs bearable. It's nice not having to wait for EAP to get on with another painfully slow lane change while the car stuck to your bumper thinks you are taking the piss.

After driving my mums model 3 to Bristol with standard autopilot and also experiencing FSD in my dads model S, I have opted for EAP in my model 3. The auto lane change is what done it for me, I found the standard autopilot very annoying on a long motorway driving to change lanes. I personally didn’t see the point of FSD however.

Plus you get the other benefit of summon and auto park etc too! It is a lot of money but I deemed it worth it to me.

At a Tesla AI day last August the Musk hinted about a new chip, produced by Samsung, that he referred to as “Hardware 4”. Could it be that, despite repeated promises, HW3 is incapable of delivering true FSD?

There has also been a hint somewhere about upgraded cameras. I don’t know what FSD sees through the current cameras, but the images for Teslacam are very poor.