Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happen if no tpms in winter wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I'll receive my 2021 TM3 in december and bought a used almost new set of 18 in wheels with Nokian Hakka R3 for winter. There are no tpms installed right now in thoses wheels.

My question is: Other than having a message of tpms error, will there be other issues ? Will the regen brake work properly?

I know if I have enough money to buy a tm3, i have enough to buy tpms.... but I never paid for tpms on my older car on their winter wheels and really dont mind having a tpms light on the dash. Thanks

48A7CCA6-966F-4F9D-94DB-282FB25A1066.jpeg

Other than the error message on the display, there should be no issue with the vehicle. I believe handling, regen, etc. will be unaffected.

I think I've read that there are some guys who run the car on the track with a set of racing wheels/tires without TPMS modules installed (saves weight in the wheels), and if they can race without them then I think the car probably performs identically to what it would if they were installed.

No issues, and in past cars I have run without them. This time around I got them to keep an eye on inflation due to range loss in winter. I feel like I need them more in winter than summer. It is also how I tend to notice a problem with a wheel or tire from the rapid loss of air.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm running winters mounted for free at Tirerack on the wheels I bought from them. They wanted $57 per wheel for TPMS--pass! The warnings are low key and soon become background. Unless you don't like checking tire pressures regularly (how often depends on how much drop I am seeing, but starting to look like monthly.) If you are practiced at it you can certainly SEE a significantly low tire, and unless you pay no attention to your car when driving you will certainly know if you have a FLAT. The last time I had one, I noticed quicker than the car's TPMS. But then, I don't carry beer in the trunk either. When I replace the tires, I might add the sensors for a reasonable price; meantime do not miss them at all.

I'm running winters mounted for free at Tirerack on the wheels I bought from them. They wanted $57 per wheel for TPMS--pass! The warnings are low key and soon become background. Unless you don't like checking tire pressures regularly (how often depends on how much drop I am seeing, but starting to look like monthly.) If you are practiced at it you can certainly SEE a significantly low tire, and unless you pay no attention to your car when driving you will certainly know if you have a FLAT. The last time I had one, I noticed quicker than the car's TPMS. But then, I don't carry beer in the trunk either. When I replace the tires, I might add the sensors for a reasonable price; meantime do not miss them at all.
So even without tpms, everything work as normal, regen is working, just the tpms light on?

Hello! I'll receive my 2021 TM3 in december and bought a used almost new set of 18 in wheels with Nokian Hakka R3 for winter. There are no tpms installed right now in thoses wheels.

My question is: Other than having a message of tpms error, will there be other issues ? Will the regen brake work properly?

I know if I have enough money to buy a tm3, i have enough to buy tpms.... but I never paid for tpms on my older car on their winter wheels and really dont mind having a tpms light on the dash. Thanks

Can you let me know where you got the wheels and tires? I'm looking at a December delivery as well and need to get ready for the snow and slush. Having a hard time finding Nokians locally.