TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What happened to the wall connector w/ 15-40 plug?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Sonny Daze, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

I noticed these were sold out awhile ago, but now it is not even listed. Does anyone know if they plan to make these available again in the near future?

2. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Yes, I know it should be 14-50. Asked to have title changed but no joy yet.

3. KerryOH

KerryOH Member

I asked Tesla Shop about 7 weeks ago via email. FWIW they responded that they were attempting to get a new source for this item but had no ETA for when it would be available. I too would love to have one. I check the online store daily and I'll post as soon as I see then in stock.

• Informative x 1
  4. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

It's not that difficult at all to add your own 14-50 lead to the existing wall charger to make your own. Just be sure to set the dip switch in the HPWC to 40amps.

• Helpful x 1
  5. KerryOH

KerryOH Member

I never thought of that. Thanks for the idea, I'll look into it.

• Like x 1
  6. ccdisce

ccdisce Member

This information may be useful and there is probably more out there:
    1. Addition of a 14-50 whip may have issues with the HPWCs UL Certification.
    2. New NEMA charging for EV could require a GFI breaker in the wiring panel.
    3. Verify that your existing wiring gauge is at least AWG 6.
    4. Use a Bryant or Hubbell 14-50 receptacle as these could be 'more industrial' than
    others marked 'industrial' and could require deeper box.
    5.Torque the wire securing screws as suggested in the fine print.
    6.You may want add an optional switch next/near to the 14-50 Receptacle, not a requirement
    ,more of convenience and long term view.