Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens during overnight deep sleep that fixes things?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New 2022 MXP April delivery. Running current beta FSD. During this past weekend 4 day road trip I lost autopilot ability after first 30 min of trip from Pittsburgh to NYC. That's a long drive to lose AP. The very first error that day was that I had a turn signal malfunction during a manual blinker activation - - which i do still get from time to time - - but other threads here on TMC have other folks with same issue that "fixes itself" (my experience as well) (and the blinker works so not sure whats up with that either - - its supposed to be a software issue with a patch coming). But then a little bit later I get a random alert: "forward collision warning is inoperative" and "cruise control unavailable" (both same time). I pull off at next rest stop and try the double press yoke reboot (but not the full power cycle via the display). no luck. So I power cycle the car from the main display (waiting two minutes before powering back on), and that clears the errors. ok good. back onto the highway.

At that point, I have no autopilot. trying to engage, it says "autopilot temporarily unavailable". And then I get the "FCW alert" again after a few more miles. I get off the next service stop again (thank you patient wife). I do the hard reset again (power cycle via main display, wait 2 min, etc). errors clear. And this time I turn off autopilot and turn it all back on via the main screen. AP works. no errors. Fantastic.

Back onto the highway. 10 min later I lose autopilot. When it happens, the grey steering wheel is not visible in the instrument cluster on my X (where it normally is when not on autopilot). Trying to engage says "autopilot temporarily unavailable". At this point I am not getting any of the other alerts. At next supercharger I turn off autopilot again and back on again. It works. I charge up, get back onto the highway. I lose it again 5 min later. I give up and drive the rest of the way without it.

I park overnight in a lot and let the car deep sleep. I wake up, go to my car, supercharge to 90% for the next 4 hour drive, and take that drive. Not a single problem. No alerts. Autopilot works the entire time.

What is happening here that fails to happen when i power cycle the car? I guess deep sleep is the magic cure? It just needed its rest?

This is my second Tesla and I get it - these cars sometimes have a mind of their own. But come'on man. Losing AP yesterday sucked. Still a ton of fun to drive the car, but I lost my "wingman" that keeps an eye on me. At least thats how i use it.

Thanks for letting me vent. My brain wants to know how this fixed itself. I do have a ticket open with Tesla to look at the logs because I have a burned out (or otherwise inoperative) brow light on my front headlights. I thought this might be related but AP worked on the entire trip home and no other alerts were received either.

Thanks for listening.

The ideal situation is that nothing ever fails... however, as we develop more complex machines and write more complex software, this becomes increasingly more difficult. I'm sure you've had devices or computers crash in your life, and they work fine again once you reboot them? A Tesla is a computer on wheels, or should I say multiple small computers working together. Each of them runs fairly complicated software that can fail over long periods. Letting the car sleep lets each of these little computers shut down, and restart fresh the next time you drive. Whereas rebooting the infotainment system only does that one component, sleeping lets more modules shutdown I believe.
The moment when I've had the most weird things happen on my car were when I had not left the car sleep for days, like on vacation where sentry would always be on.

I cannot talk about your specific issues. Obviously when failures occur we should try to make Tesla aware so they eventually fix the problems. As a workaround, at least let the car sleep when you can.

I can't say for sure... but every time I tried to shut down my car, as soon as I pressed the brake everything was immediately on and ready to do. It feels like the car did not properly turn off. I am unsure what else I was supposed to do...
In contrast, when I get in my car after a day at work, it will take a couple of seconds to light the screen, often shows a message that it might take up to 30 seconds before the car is ready to drive etc... I can hear the high voltage contactors...

New 2022 MXP April delivery. Running current beta FSD. During this past weekend 4 day road trip I lost autopilot ability after first 30 min of trip from Pittsburgh to NYC. That's a long drive to lose AP. The very first error that day was that I had a turn signal malfunction during a manual blinker activation - - which i do still get from time to time - - but other threads here on TMC have other folks with same issue that "fixes itself" (my experience as well) (and the blinker works so not sure whats up with that either - - its supposed to be a software issue with a patch coming). But then a little bit later I get a random alert: "forward collision warning is inoperative" and "cruise control unavailable" (both same time). I pull off at next rest stop and try the double press yoke reboot (but not the full power cycle via the display). no luck. So I power cycle the car from the main display (waiting two minutes before powering back on), and that clears the errors. ok good. back onto the highway.

At that point, I have no autopilot. trying to engage, it says "autopilot temporarily unavailable". And then I get the "FCW alert" again after a few more miles. I get off the next service stop again (thank you patient wife). I do the hard reset again (power cycle via main display, wait 2 min, etc). errors clear. And this time I turn off autopilot and turn it all back on via the main screen. AP works. no errors. Fantastic.

Back onto the highway. 10 min later I lose autopilot. When it happens, the grey steering wheel is not visible in the instrument cluster on my X (where it normally is when not on autopilot). Trying to engage says "autopilot temporarily unavailable". At this point I am not getting any of the other alerts. At next supercharger I turn off autopilot again and back on again. It works. I charge up, get back onto the highway. I lose it again 5 min later. I give up and drive the rest of the way without it.

I park overnight in a lot and let the car deep sleep. I wake up, go to my car, supercharge to 90% for the next 4 hour drive, and take that drive. Not a single problem. No alerts. Autopilot works the entire time.

What is happening here that fails to happen when i power cycle the car? I guess deep sleep is the magic cure? It just needed its rest?

This is my second Tesla and I get it - these cars sometimes have a mind of their own. But come'on man. Losing AP yesterday sucked. Still a ton of fun to drive the car, but I lost my "wingman" that keeps an eye on me. At least thats how i use it.

Thanks for letting me vent. My brain wants to know how this fixed itself. I do have a ticket open with Tesla to look at the logs because I have a burned out (or otherwise inoperative) brow light on my front headlights. I thought this might be related but AP worked on the entire trip home and no other alerts were received either.

Thanks for listening.

Did you report the incident(s) to [email protected]? They probably want to know about malfunctions like you experienced. Posting here does nothing. It is not necessary to stop to perform a reboot. A double scroll wheel reboot can be done while driving. You will be without instruments and sound for a few minutes. But at least you didn't have to stop.

That being said, it is Beta software. Problems are expected. If you cannot tolerate the expected malfunctions, perhaps you should not be part of the beta test program.

What part of my question suggested I cannot tolerate anything? I was asking a question about deep sleep. I guess intent can get lost in translation. I am kind of surprised at the response. Geez.
Your original post sounded more like a whiny rant, complaining about how dare Tesla gave you defective software. Of course it is defective. If it wasn’t defective, Tesla would not have limited the release to beta testers.

My question is still outstanding: Did you report the incident to Tesla? If the report is timely, Tesla may be able to pull logged information from your car.

IIRC, there are some restrictions on commenting in public forums about beta software.

Thanks for listening.
I have discovered over the past six years that there are some errors that require a sleep action to reset the error. No other reset will work. I have had the same error "autopilot temporarily unavailable" and an AC error that literally shuts off the AC. Both only reset after a sleep even was initiated. There is no way to force a sleep event other than turning off sentry mode and cabin overheat protection then walk away for over thirty minutes. It should go to sleep. Then upon wakeup, the errors clear. That worked for the AC error for me.

Reactions: AdamHLG
I have discovered over the past six years that there are some errors that require a sleep action to reset the error. No other reset will work. I have had the same error "autopilot temporarily unavailable" and an AC error that literally shuts off the AC. Both only reset after a sleep even was initiated. There is no way to force a sleep event other than turning off sentry mode and cabin overheat protection then walk away for over thirty minutes. It should go to sleep. Then upon wakeup, the errors clear. That worked for the AC error for me.
Just to add context, the AC error was THC_w0016 Air conditioning reduced DC Fast Charging / Supercharging rates may be reduced. It will only clear with a sleep event.

Reactions: AdamHLG
To add context to mine, the SvC is telling me the logs showed a blocked front ultrasonic sensor that may have triggered this chain of events. Visually looked ok to me after I was told that, but the deep sleep must have reset it. Alas it seems this was not FSD beta related but a temporary sensor flag that disabled things. Makes me wonder if I hit a moth or caught a piece of road FOD that temporarily covered the sensor while driving at highway speed, and then maybe it fell off, but needed a deep sleep to reset.

FWIW, while I don't know, the "gateway" may reboot with a sleep event. Per other threads, a two minute power off cycle might not trigger this, but changing your wheel settings should. Changing them back and forth might be a good tool if there is a next time. Also, while I'm sure a lot has changed since then, when I was losing power steering due to a software issue, they had me get the key a certain distance from the vehicle for a certain period of time in order to trigger that to reset. I don't remember specifics, but it certainly seemed to work.

FWIW, while I don't know, the "gateway" may reboot with a sleep event. Per other threads, a two minute power off cycle might not trigger this, but changing your wheel settings should. Changing them back and forth might be a good tool if there is a next time. Also, while I'm sure a lot has changed since then, when I was losing power steering due to a software issue, they had me get the key a certain distance from the vehicle for a certain period of time in order to trigger that to reset. I don't remember specifics, but it certainly seemed to work.
Unfortunately, the wheel config didn't work for me with either error stated above. The car needs to go to sleep to clear the errors stated. It sounds like what they had you do was cause it to sleep. Turn the items off that keeps it from sleeping. Then you need to walk away with the key for at least 30 minutes.