Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I miss the most about auto lane change...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what other state's rules or lane markings are. Here in Arizona, the HOV lane is a solid line to cross into. When I first got my 2017 Model S 75D, it would auto lane change in/out of the HOV. Several updates ago, this was taken away. I realize in most instances you do not want the car crossing a solid line but I wonder if this could be updated on the maps by location? Version 9 did not change this. Anyone else wishing this was different?

Chris

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Amen Chris. As of 2018.10.4, Autopilot will no longer cross over solid WHITE lines with auto lane change. V9 doesn't change this and is disappointing.

I can also confirm that the vaunted "Drive on Nav" feature that was part of the beta builds of v9 (before "Drive on Nav" was pulled from v9) does nothing to change this and you have to manually enter or exit the AZ HOV lanes and the car will not. (Even with "Use HOV Lanes" enabled in Autopilot settings).

Wish it would change.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
In Georgia, the HOV is protected by a single or double solid white line. It is expressly illegal to cross a white lane.
A couple states have done, what I believe to be stupid, in allowing a vehicle to cross a solid white lane.
The fact that it is solid says that you shouldn't cross.
I know Washington state allows you to cross as well.

Reactions: mburnet6
I see the same. In Virginia they have a double white line and then areas where it changes to a single dashed white line to permit people to enter the HOV lanes. Other places go with a solid double white throughout. To be honest, I don't find autosteer's behavior troubling. It merely means I need to manually steer to enter/leave HOV lanes and then re-enable autosteer. What's the big deal? A quick tug on the wheel to move to the new lane and then a double-tap on the AP lever to re-enable autosteer. Not an issue to me.

, I don't find autosteer's behavior troubling. It merely means I need to manually steer to enter/leave HOV lanes and then re-enable autosteer. What's the big deal? A quick tug on the wheel to move to the new lane and then a double-tap on the AP lever to re-enable autosteer. Not an issue to me.

Exactly my thought. I can see a world of hurt for Tesla is some logic is suddenly added to allow the car to violate such basic markings, and think of the awful situations that could cause.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Apparently there are no national standards for striping HOV lanes and therefore states are all over the board. Further complicating matters, some states aren’t even consistent within their own state. I noticed a thread here or on Reddit that mentions CA has a yellow stripe some places, all white elsewhere. And of course they have designated entry/exits some places.

Here is AZ we mostly have a single, solid white stripe but on some older HOV lanes there at least formerly were double, solid white stripes. Not surprisingly EAP apparently has treated the AZ markings differently over time. Now it seems the solid white line Is treated like a barrier.

It will be interesting to see how future releases of EAP treat these inconsistent HOV striping standards. I suppose eventually the EAP software can be adapted to all of these markings. I realize it isn’t a huge issue but if lane changes into and out of HOV can be handled by EAP and NOA, so much the better.

Last edited:
There may be variations in how HOV lanes are marked, but I didn't think there were variations in what the lane markings mean. Unless there is some signage otherwise, a solid white line means crossing is "discouraged" and double solid white lines means crossing is prohibited.

It is written.

Reactions: tranzndance
There may be variations in how HOV lanes are marked, but I didn't think there were variations in what the lane markings mean. Unless there is some signage otherwise, a solid white line means crossing is "discouraged" and double solid white lines means crossing is prohibited.

It is written.
Doesn’t mean that for carpool lanes in AZ. You have to cross the solid white lines. There are no dashed sections for entry/exit.

The only HOV lanes violation in AZ is for single passenger violations during early morning and late afternoon rush hours. I wish we did have dashed entry/exit points for safety.

Last edited:
Doesn’t mean that for carpool lanes in AZ. You have to cross the solid white lines. There are no dashed sections for entry/exit.

The only HOV lanes violation in AZ is for single passenger violations during early morning and late afternoon rush hours.
Maybe they were intended that way originally -- only buses and carpools that entered and exited from parking areas? I guess they are waiting for the stripes to wear off so they can re-paint them. Oh, wait, they can't wear off, because people don't cross them...:rolleyes:

Confusing for humans, much less Autopilot.