Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is “normal” vampire drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really familiar with the Tessie app, but I'm assuming it's like all the others and just uses a token generated using your credentials. If you change your Tesla password, the token will effectively become useless and future API calls by the service will not make it to your car. Just deleting the app would not do the trick since the app just gives you access to the service that processes the data gleaned from the API calls.

As for sentry mode, I guess people value battery life / vampire drain more than the security provided by sentry mode. I consider vampire drain a necessary evil for these cool features and a faster responding app, so I just deal with it.

TeslaFi has a "Deep Sleep" mode that works well for reducing the vampire drain.

Another way is to follow Tesla charging recommendations and keep your Tesla plugged in every night with the max setting to give you enough range for your daily commute. This way the accessories that normally drain your battery are kept powered by your household power.

Reactions: boonedocks
My S90D typically sees 1-2% per day.

There are a few variables that account for this drop.
  • Continuing to check the app, which keeps the car from going to sleep.
  • Cabin overheat protection
  • Walking by the car with your key and it unlocking (extending handles)
Since I don't have sentry, expect these loses without that feature.

Enjoy!
I simply set “work” as Carolyn’s moms house because Carolyn stays over night with her a few times a week and “home” as places where Sentry mode is turned off. Last night at 7PM the battery was charged at 248 miles and at 7:15 this morning the battery showed 247 miles. My cell phone is in my office which is close enough to remain connected to the car. Apparently, the cell phone had no effect. I also left “record on honk” on and it didn’t have any negative affect. I didn’t bother with cabin overheat protection for obvious reasons. The take away here is don’t leave sentry mode on if you take a 2 week vacation and leave your Tesla in an airport parking lot. Carolyn lost 30 miles overnight in Raleigh because sentry mode was on.

I don’t get the logic of why Tesla made “favorites” an option as far as turning off sentry mode. For us, favorites are places we frequent, not necessarily places where sentry mode isn’t needed.

This past week I have been doing my own chart on battery drain on my model S. It's the LR Plus version and gets real world 385miles range battery capacity. The Sentry is the biggest drain and I measured it as 25miles loss per 24hours average. Next is 14miles loss for Cabin Overheat on during the hot summer months ( 6 months here in Florida). Both can be a dangerous hit to the battery on a long parking lot stay outside in the summer. In a parking garage the Cabin overheat is not needed.

But it is important to note that these will shut down when the battery goes below 20% which is about 77 miles to get to a Supercharger. Also, I discovered that you can control the Sentry mode in the app manually so maybe go to the trouble of shutting it off manually when away between midnight and 8 in the morning of the reserve miles of 20% is inadequate. The one time I tested the remote control, the car had lost internet connection in the parking garage so it didn't work=--- go figure. Murphy's Law. :(

Not sure what happened, but i just left my X for 48 hours in Boston (Logan Airport Central parking) and lost 50 miles of range (25 miles per day).

I have FSD Beta, and just upgraded to the recent software version, I do have Sentry Mode on, but had no alerts. Climate was not running. I dod not check in with the car (through the app) the entire trip.

Not sure what happened, but i just left my X for 48 hours in Boston (Logan Airport Central parking) and lost 50 miles of range (25 miles per day).

I have FSD Beta, and just upgraded to the recent software version, I do have Sentry Mode on, but had no alerts. Climate was not running. I dod not check in with the car (through the app) the entire trip.

Sentry Mode keeps the whole computer up & running. I see about ~4% / day drain with Sentry running. Still not 25 mi / day, but in the ball park.

How about the “overheat protection”? Were you in the sun? If you have that on (“auto,“ maybe?), it will run the climate for up to eight hours (?) to keep the cabin temp below 105°F (?)—so, perhaps the bulk of the drain you saw happened in the first eight hours after you parked, and the rest is due to Sentry?

On my Model S:
That's about right for Sentry mode. I just did a series of 24 hour tests to get ready for multi day public parking this summer. I'm averaging 23miles of range loss per day with sentry and Valet mode on. No cabin overheat protection active. Last summer my tests with cabin overheat and sentry on the losses averaged 34miles loss.

If I shut off Sentry and cabin overheat then the loss per day is 7 miles.

Soon I will run some tests with everything off but activating sentry for a 8 hours by the smart phone app just to see if the loss is linear.

I realized no one has created a compressive guide on vampire drain, although there are some good notes in this thread. I just finished an article on vampire drain today. I show exactly all the things that can cause vampire drain and how to set various options to reduce vampire drain: Vampire Drain – TeslaTap
Nice article!

I don't like the term "vampire" drain however. When you decide to turn on a powered feature in the car you should know that it is being run off the battery and unless plugged in, the battery will drain. In most cases, I was always curious to know how much range loss was the result of each power consuming feature I selected. Remember the old days when drivers forgot to turn the lights off? They realized that drained the battery and never said it was because of a ghost, phantom or vampire.

Some things are unavoidable for the safety of the car. Such as cabin overheat protection is important when you discover your cabin in the daytime sun gets to 150+ °F. I once destroyed an LCD screen in an older car with a sun roof when the daytime temps got really hot in the car. This is especially a problem with black interior Teslas. So it is good to understand what affect the cabin overheat will drain when you can't keep it plugged in. I also discovered that feature is automatically disabled after 8 hours and you need to unlock the car to reset the 8 hour timer on a multi day parking.

Sentry may be important if you are a worrier about security on long term parking. Sentry off only disables the cameras to record video but I don't think it being off disables the intrusion alarm. Use a pin code to drive is an excellent security measure for the worrier too and that won't drain the battery should someone steal your FOB or card.

Heck,
I just drove to work
Sat in the car with everything off except the tablet
i was playing on my phone and in a half hour i lost 4 miles 2020 model3 awd
That's most likely due to the battery cooling. If you heated the battery back up, you would likely get most of that range back. A warm battery has more range than a cold one. Tesla heats the battery back up when you start to drive to recover most of that range. Of course, if you do a lot of short trips in cold weather, you going to have less range, as it is power-hungry to heat the cabin and the battery every time you start up!

I've now turned se try mode off
Everything else is off. Passwords changed and drain is between 1 to 2 miles.
Its quite annoying as sentry mode is an essential feature for protecting the car. Tesla need to make it more efficient
I have been monitoring my 2022 MYP under cover in the airport parking lot. I lose about a mile a day. With Sentry mode on, I lose about 10 miles a day. I have to alternate, because I will be gone two weeks and will need some juice to get to the charger.

My late 2013 Model S 85 Performance had a dead battery July last year. In the 9.5 year preceding that, I had always observed very strict charging hygiene habits. Therefore, I think, I never lost more than 1% of charge per 24 hours.

Because I have really enjoyed my car that far, and because it's a complete write-off with a dead battery, I had it replaced by Tesla with a refurbished repaired battery, at an eye-watering cost of €12,329.67.

Now when I charge my car to 90% at night, it's at 86-87% in the morning. The biggest loss, 3..4%, happens in the 2 hours following charging. After that, it's a little over 3% per 24 hours. We live in a very moderate climate: Outside temperatures don't drop below 5°C (41°F) at night, and are about 12°C (54°F) during the day.

Is this normal? (Given it's age, my car doesn't have sentry mode, etc)