Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is a reasonable amount of miles a new car should have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw on my contract that mine has 50 miles. That seems totally normal to me but I know Tesla reserves different cars for test drives. How many miles did yours have and what do you think is normal?

I'd gladly accept more miles if that means they tested it more. :)

I saw on my contract that mine has 50 miles. That seems totally normal to me but I know Tesla reserves different cars for test drives. How many miles did yours have and what do you think is normal?

I'd gladly accept more miles if that means they tested it more. :)

50 miles is pretty much standard on the paperwork but they usually arrive with less than 10. A non customer test driven car usually arrives with 3-4 miles on it. I had an SR+ with 11 miles on it and a Performance with 4 miles.

As folks have said, 50 is the default for the paperwork. If your car has less than that, then you are getting better than what the Bill of Sale indicated. If the car has over that, then you should probably question the situation and maybe refuse acceptance until it can be explained to your satisfaction. That may be as simple as it was driven to your house or Tesla may need to put up a few dollars to offset it. Now, don't expect $1,000 off for 200 miles, probably more like $100.

Reactions: djroberts
There really needs to be a sticky: "If you just bought a Tesla read this" and it can talk about:
  • Default mileage on the paperwork
  • Should I charge my car daily or just charge it once and drain it to zero?
  • I'm going on vacation for two weeks, should I leave the car plugged in?
  • Etc.
These, and other similar questions, appear here almost daily.

The problem is, if we started a sticky, everyone would jump in and add content until we had, ta da, a manual! Which nobody would read because there's already a manual that virtually nobody reads...