Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is inside the box on my Tesla 3 charge cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Matthew, do you know if the charge limiter is part of that or is the logic to control the charge level part of the car converter inside the car?
Both.

an EVSE sends a signal letting the vehicle know the maximum power it can draw. The Tesla Mobile Connector knows what that level is based upon the plug adapter you have inserted. The car reads that level, and ensures it doesn't go above it.

The most important safety part that's not been specifically mentioned (although definitely alluded to) is that unlike just an extension cord like you're thinking, there is no power at the plug end when the cable isn't plugged into the car. You can't electrocute yourself with your 240V 50A cord if you step in a puddle. There is no power at the cord end until you plug it into the car and the car asks the box to turn on the power. That's why you hear it click after you plug it in. That's the point of the relays.

This also prevents arcing when plugging in the car which would, over time, cause high resistance at the connection. That's why you have to push the button to disconnect as well - it tells the car to tell the box to turn off the power and then the car lets go of the plug.

This also prevents arcing when plugging in the car which would, over time, cause high resistance at the connection. That's why you have to push the button to disconnect as well - it tells the car to tell the box to turn off the power and then the car lets go of the plug.
Pushing the disconnect tells the AC 2 DC converter in the car to stop using power which it quickly ramps down using the power transistors (or similar technology), then tells the box to open the relays and the car unlocks the charge port.

Otherwise the relays would arc and wear out too.

Thank you everyone. I now understand how it works. I can certainly understand why your would not want power at the plug when not plugged in. I have a 240 50 amp in my garage and I use the charger that came with the car, But I want to add a hard wired charger so that I do not have to plug and unplug the charger ever time I go someplace. By the way, you should ask this question at the Tesla deal as I did. No one knows how the charging system works but they know how to sell it.

Reactions: Braumin
I believe it. Just salesman.

I used the portable for a year. Never unplugged to bring it with me, except twice when I visited family.

Did replace with a WC to take advantage of a local utility EV charging opportunity.

But realistically I only used supercharger or the j1772 adapter on the road.

I believe it. Just salesman.

I used the portable for a year. Never unplugged to bring it with me, except twice when I visited family.

Did replace with a WC to take advantage of a local utility EV charging opportunity.

But realistically I only used supercharger or the j1772 adapter on the road.
Still waiting to take delivery of my Model 3 later this month, so apologies if this question sounds ignorant. I have a 240V outlet in my garage to charge the car. Are you saying I can plan to keep the Tesla-provided charging cable attached to the garage outlet, and then not bring the cable with me in the car for on-the road charges, since the on-the road chargers all have built in cables? I assume the j1772 is a Tesla-provided adapter so I can use those on-the road charging stations?

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
You would only carry the mobile connector (the Tesla-provided charging cable) with you if you are on a trip where the possibility exists of not being close to a Supercharger or other public charging station. The mobile connector could be used, with the proper plug adapter, at locations where you can access a 240V outlet (preferred) or a 120V outlet (if you have a lot of time). That could be at family or friend's house, at work or commercial place where you can find an outlet and get permission to plug in. A popular 240V outlet (NEMA adapter for the mobile connector) is the 14-50 (50 amps) where you can expect to get about 30 miles per hour of charge.

The J1772 adapter is used at public Level 2 (L2) stations like ChargePoint, EVgo, etc. where you convert the J1772 plug (handle at the end of the cable) into the Tesla proprietary plug that fits the charge port on your car. Those places you can get about 20-22 miles per hour of charge, the same as if you have a 240V 30A outlet at home.

I generally have not carried the mobile connector with me unless I'm on a long distance trip. I have a CHAdeMO adapter (a high power DC-fast standard) that I use around town and on trips when I don't Supercharge. I also do not charge at home, although I do have a bunch of NEMA adapters for my mobile connector.

Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus
Yup very well summarized. I take my mobile connector with me if I am going to visit my in-laws because my father-in-law has a NEMA 6-50 plug in his shop. Otherwise it stays home plugged into my NEMA 14-30 plug in my garage.

If I was going on a long road trip I would bring it just in case. You just never know. I also have the Tesla adapter kit which has most of the common plugs so I can charge almost anywhere in a pinch if I needed to.

I should probably just buy the wall connector so I can keep the mobile connector in my frunk though.

I bought a HPWC thinking I'd keep the mobile charger in the trunk for emergencies or whatever. That mobile charger is still in the trunk, and still probably has that "new electronics" smell inside the bag. Unlikely I'll ever use it. The SuperCharger network is pretty extensive, and most of my driving is local.

Even if you *are* the type to do a lot of road-tripping, the mobile charger only suites a few use cases... namely charging at an RV park or perhaps a friend/family/remote cabin's 240v dryer plug. Those scenarios are unlikely to happen for me.

Reactions: Rocky_H
A microcontroller, a relay or two, and some circuitry to provide the right signals to the car. Oh, and a GFCI.
There's also a temperature sensor in each pigtail at the end that plugs into the outlet. If the plug gets to hot (likely due to a poor wire to outlet connection or plug to outlet contact), the box will detect it, interrupt charging and indicate a thermal problem.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Braumin
Has anyone noticed bumps in the charging cable (Gen 2, I believe). It's been outdoors but under the porch roof for 2 years and it has small bumps at a few spots in the cable. Never ran over it or abused it all. TG