Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is public perception of owning a Tesla after Musk's tweet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supercharger is like Apple, and others are Android. You know Android will eventually catch up and surpass Apple.

What I am concerned about is the increase in rates. It’s pretty bad when the cost starts to equal gas? This applies to both charging networks.

I remember Tesla advertising that all superchargers will come with a canopy of Solar Panels. Never happened, but I wonder if that’s the way forward to reduce costs in the long term. Short term that will have to eat the cost of solar panels and other infrastructure.

Random thought I just had...

There's debate over the actual impact Musk's actions has on Tesla; many here are dismissing it as often people don't walk the walk even after talking the talk, and that it true in many cases. However, it isn't something to be ignored either, because with enough momentum and actual numbers, a small minority can turn into a huge tsunami. Keep your ear to the ground and don't be a complete ostrich all the time; if you invest consider diversifying if this drags on (this doesn't mean dump all Tesla of course).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
this is a guy who has endless money, and is about ready to buy an EV

For these people, I've always wondered why not go Rimac Nivera (he has endless $$ right?), Lucid Sapphire or something insane? Next Gen Porsche as well maybe. Tesla's are so common I feel and a dime a dozen everywhere.

Lucid charges faster I think and has longer range and Sapphire should be competitive with anything a M3P puts out that any "poor" schmo can buy in CA.

Supercharger is like Apple, and others are Android. You know Android will eventually catch up and surpass Apple.

What I am concerned about is the increase in rates. It’s pretty bad when the cost starts to equal gas? This applies to both charging networks.

I remember Tesla advertising that all superchargers will come with a canopy of Solar Panels. Never happened, but I wonder if that’s the way forward to reduce costs in the long term. Short term that will have to eat the cost of solar panels and other infrastructure.
You may be right about supercharging rates increasing and eventually matching gasoline rates. My cheapest off-peak electricity rate at home is barely $0.07/kWh. I am estimating an increase of about $30/mo as a result of my EV commute pertinent to my power bill. That’s only $360/yr to drive my EV, compared to upwards of $2,800/yr for the same commute with a gasoline vehicle.

Well, best dressed is a matter of opinion, but as they say, there’s no accounting for style. As far as being first, remember Blackberry?

The supercharger network and seamless integration with the navigation are clearly huge advantages for Tesla but I think it’s a mistake to assume that they will remain so. As EV’s gain popularity and become more commonplace so will charging networks. If the only real advantage Tesla has is the Supercharger network then they’d better have a plan B in place.

I have a friend with a Leaf who drove from Minneapolis to Chicago a while ago. He had to spend more time planning his trip than I would have but it worked fine, so even now it’s not an insurmountable task, it just isn’t nearly as easy and convenient as it is with a Tesla.

Tesla has a huge advantage in terms of user base, time on the market charging network and image. They need to be careful not to squander that advantage with things poor build quality, service issues, incomplete software and doltish comments by their CEO. History is full of examples of companies that squandered opportunities and the market can be very unforgiving.

All these are good points. I mostly post in the tesla energy forums and similar to Tesla solar, people always comment how it saves them a ton of $$ vs. others, but that advantage is gone in various areas (I posted my examples to someone else earlier). Like your points, once they don't have the savings anymore (or the Supercharging network isn't as big of an advantage anymore), a person has to figure out what Tesla has to compete on now. Fit and finish? Service? (mostly a joke on tesla solar), speed of install and PTO?

Folks are right to be aware that being best now doesn't mean being best later. The best thing is good things for the consumer with more competition. Tesla can be arrogant with no other choices, but when there are tons, it's the consumer winning and Tesla now has to compete. Where's that Cybertruck still? It's not coming at $39k I think we can all bet.

If one reads through this thread there are plenty of examples of people who will not buy a Tesla due to Musk. Obviously that’s not a universal opinion but it doesn’t need to be to affect Tesla’s corporate image or sales. Whether it is enough to truly matter is open to debate - this forum is not necessarily a representative sample and I haven’t seen any other actual data, but it is very possible. If I were a shareholder or board member of Tesla I would be concerned, especially since it’s completely unnecessary.

Serious question.
I'm having a Tesla Solar roof and Powerwall installed today, as I post this, power is out during install.
I have a Model Y on order supposed to arrive next month... right before tax rebate goes info effect, but thats a different story.

I am shocked at Elon's tweet repeating a heinous made up story about the victim of the attempted murder of the husband of 3rd in line for presidency. This is truly evil stuff from Elon that seems indefensible as he's refused to apologize about it. It must be intentional despite information clearly stating it is completely false. Elon doesn't seem to care. Damage has been done. It trended on twitter. Millions of people now have the false idea there's some truth to it and unable to discern reality from fabricated stories.

Serious question. Have current owners of Tesla's received any pushback from friends, neighbors, random people regarding their ownership of a Tesla? Has public perception changed any?

I'm used to have an idea of the kind of people hating on Tesla, because they support the fossil fuel industry, want to pollute more, etc. Usually GOP people. But now Elon has leapfrogged and gone full MAGA conspiracy theorist with no connection to reality. Makes my head spin figuring out who might or might not like the idea of owning a Tesla. Seems like owning a Tesla could illicit bad response from practically anyone these days.

Bottom line, I'm having serious second thoughts about accepting delivery of the Model Y and trying to get some feedback.
Th

Serious question.
I'm having a Tesla Solar roof and Powerwall installed today, as I post this, power is out during install.
I have a Model Y on order supposed to arrive next month... right before tax rebate goes info effect, but thats a different story.

I am shocked at Elon's tweet repeating a heinous made up story about the victim of the attempted murder of the husband of 3rd in line for presidency. This is truly evil stuff from Elon that seems indefensible as he's refused to apologize about it. It must be intentional despite information clearly stating it is completely false. Elon doesn't seem to care. Damage has been done. It trended on twitter. Millions of people now have the false idea there's some truth to it and unable to discern reality from fabricated stories.

Serious question. Have current owners of Tesla's received any pushback from friends, neighbors, random people regarding their ownership of a Tesla? Has public perception changed any?

I'm used to have an idea of the kind of people hating on Tesla, because they support the fossil fuel industry, want to pollute more, etc. Usually GOP people. But now Elon has leapfrogged and gone full MAGA conspiracy theorist with no connection to reality. Makes my head spin figuring out who might or might not like the idea of owning a Tesla. Seems like owning a Tesla could illicit bad response from practically anyone these days.

Bottom line, I'm having serious second thoughts about accepting delivery of the Model Y and trying to get some feedback.
Thanks
A tweet doesn't dent my universe.

If one reads through this thread there are plenty of examples of people who will not buy a Tesla due to Musk. Obviously that’s not a universal opinion but it doesn’t need to be to affect Tesla’s corporate image or sales. Whether it is enough to truly matter is open to debate - this forum is not necessarily a representative sample and I haven’t seen any other actual data, but it is very possible. If I were a shareholder or board member of Tesla I would be concerned, especially since it’s completely unnecessary.
Demand-throttling. Not a bad tactic.

Friend has the $$$ to buy a Tesla and wants to go electric after having a Pacifica Hybrid. His wife absolutely said no way giving Elon a cent. They are getting a BMW i4 M50 instead of a M3 performance.

I look at this as the M3 has a better charge network, longer range, more speed and more space (true frunk) but comes with 'an Elon'.

BMW is getting good reviews as a driver's car. I'm sure it will be a truer luxury car, real leather, better controls, quieter, better treatment by dealer (M3 and MY are really not luxury, even though priced is high.)

I see Tesla is a better 'ELECTRIC' car, BMW is probably a better 'CAR' car.

Elon made it so they won't even look at one of his cars. Agree or not, the Tesla sale was lost.

Friend has the $$$ to buy a Tesla and wants to go electric after having a Pacifica Hybrid. His wife absolutely said no way giving Elon a cent. They are getting a BMW i4 M50 instead of a M3 performance.

I look at this as the M3 has a better charge network, longer range, more speed and more space (true frunk) but comes with 'an Elon'.

BMW is getting good reviews as a driver's car. I'm sure it will be a truer luxury car, real leather, better controls, quieter, better treatment by dealer (M3 and MY are really not luxury, even though priced is high.)

Elon made it so they won't even look at one of his cars. Agree or not, the Tesla sale was lost.
They’ll enjoy the i4 M50.

The wife can hit the bricks.

My response to the title and similar questions in general:
Do/did you buy all other cars also based on CEO research?
How about all the other products you owe?
I buy things based on their performance/function/intended purpose etc.. :)
This is not the point.
OP is worried because the very nature of how the world views a very, very large ticket item they’re about to purchase may be in the middle of changing.

It would be one thing if how people see Teslas was frozen just as it is now.
Quite another if in one month or six months it’s the rolling equivalent of wearing a red hat.

This is in flux this minute, right in middle of their purchase ….they’re worried and trying to understand where it’s headed.
That doesn’t mean they need to background the CEO of Crest toothpaste. Tho I guarantee you none of the CEOs of the rest of the products they buy are making divisive jackasses of themselves in the most public way possible.

One thing to be super manly and say you don’t care. Another entirely to wear that red hat wherever you go, all the time.

Last edited:
My next car will be an EV, but not Tesla. It’s not just Elon, (his latest bad tweet about an old guy attacked with a hammer is too much beyond the pale). It’s also the bad build quality. The bad service. The cheap interiors and ‘within spec’ joke of exterior ill fitting panels.

Top choice right now is BMW i4-40. Interior space of the i4 could have been better, but the car handles and rides well, goes the same as my Model 3 LR, but is way better in terms of materials and fit and finish.

Whats the catch? Charging network. Not as reliable as the Tesla supercharging network, but getting there. Moreover, my charging is 95% at home, so there’s that.
That’s fair and I’ve love to have a body and interior done to BMW quality.....though have to say my 2019 M3P was nearly perfect except for soft paint which yeah, not great... and my current new MY is essentially perfect in build quality. And in 3 years of Tesla ownership never a single issue. Not one. No maintenance, nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.