Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With FSDb wide release & V11 soon, what will Tesla do with the public beta program? Speculation time!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that FSD Beta has, or nearly has, merged with production releases for a release to the whole fleet...

...what will Tesla's release rollout and testing strategy look like?

I've seen some people claim online that now the beta test program will just be over: only production releases that go to the whole fleet, big bang. I disagree.

First off: What does Tesla have to work on next?

A broad release of FSD for city streets, or even V11 single stack, is hardly the end! Areas of future iteration:

- Parking lot and garages navigation
- Transitioning from driving to auto-parking in a spot (public parking and garages)
- General improvement to continue moving FSDb from "mostly works" to "always works" (there is years of work in this bucket)
- Any potential future hardware changes (new camera positions, higher resolution, any new sensors)
- Snow and inclement weather

What are the benefits of a incremental release and testing program?

It's all about risk mitigation to enable a faster release cycle to get feedback faster and in smaller more targeted chunks. They've done all the work to be able to do gradual rollouts at scale (initial internal testing > employee testing > "OG" public beta testers > broad public beta testers > full production fleet).

My main argument is it doesn't make any sense for them to stop doing this now. There's only upside! Imagine they have a new feature or capability. Say, slow speed parking lot navigation that's not reliant on maps (in my experience FSDb is terrible in parking lots, so hoping this gets attention next year!). They've got a choice. Internally test a bunch and then boldly ship it to the whole fleet. Or after internal testing ship it to a smaller public test group to reduce risk from bugs. And to let people who want to be on the cutting edge and have practice with FSDb test it first. That seems like obviously the better path.

The might rebrand it from ("Request FSD Beta" no longer quite makes sense) but I think a test program is going to stick around in some shape.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
It's called an open beta test, meaning that everyone can use it, either by owning FSD or by subscription. The software is pretty obviously not product quality, given the number of interventions and disengagements required for safe operation of the car. I assume that this is a financial consideration, going after subscription dollars. If everyone who doesn't own FSD plopped down $200 for a one month trial, that would give Tesla a little extra spending money.

Does anyone know if all automation software in the car is now FSDb? Or does the car still have both old and new, with the new being activated only while subscribed to FSDb?

Oh, and I love the use of "fortold" there. Not at all creepy.

Does anyone know if all automation software in the car is now FSDb? Or does the car still have both old and new, with the new being activated only while subscribed to FSDb?

The latter. FSDb cars can still be set to use old Autopilot if you want (it's in the Autopilot menu), so both are still in the software. Non-FSDb cars still use old Autopilot for everything.

If you unsubscribe from FSDb subscription I think it forces you back to basic AP pretty quickly and then eventually they push you a non-FSDb release? Not 100% on this part.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
We seem to have switched again. Within the last few months we saw the majority of cars having access to FSDb if they wanted to pay/enable it without needing to download a new release.
However, we are back to the situation where the majority are on a release that doesn't include FSDb.
Who knows, maybe they're about to release a working release of 11.4.x and roll it out with something newer than firmware 2023.26.8 🤷‍♂️