Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Teslafi and why should I want it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As above:
- What is Teslafi?
- Why do I need/want it?
- Why I’m always so behind in software releases? (I’m still on 48.12.1 and I’ve gotten it like a week ago..) has no FSD and only SR+ got anything to do with it?

thanks!

Teslafi (and other similar services) use an api provided by tesla to ask your car for its status (location, speed, power input/output, orientation etc) about once every minute and then stores the result for you (the storage and analysis is the added benefit above what you could do yourself)

2020.48.12.1 is the most prevalent version currently, you're not behind. You'll get 2020.48.26 within a week I'd guess

• Informative
Reactions: Blueskye
- Why do I need/want it?

Either you like to know what your car is doing, or you need to know what your car is doing - maybe recording business trips.

Personally I'm the former. Its allowed me to answer what and why the car was behaving as it was on quite a few occasions.

May not be suitable for some, ie privacy/security concerns.

Other solutions may exist, but TeslaFi just works* with minimal user intervention.

* the odd issue, but always resolves - software actively being developed so you always have most up to date version as it is hosted and maintained for you.

Last edited:
Agree TeslaMate is awesome and gives you pretty much all you could need in regards to stats. Not too hard to setup, plenty of very good guides out there to help you
TelsaFi does have scheduling of actions (HVAC, charging, etc.) which is very handy. This is not in TelssMate.

I would recommend trying both and see what you prefer, You can easily find codes to get 4 weeks free trial of TelsaFi and the same for a substantial time of free hosting to run TelsaMate.

If setup correctly. As TeslaFi uses as a good starting default, the extra battery drain will be minimal, potentially delaying sleep by around 15 minutes. Once vehicle is sleeping, TeslaFi will not even be trying to communicate with the car so no additional load on the car. If you use multiple third party apps, then all bets are off.

Think of TeslaFi as being like having an Apple Watch monitoring every drive, charge etc. Then rolling that up into interesting stats. Great if you are a nerd. There's no specific necessity to it, like tracking your sleep etc.

I got 48.12.1 a week ago, and the new update last night, so you aren't specifically late. Oh, and I can tell that as it's onw of the things that Teslafi tracks, the column "Days from Discovery to Install" shows how long after the first spotted install until I got the update....

upload_2020-12-27_21-43-15.png

Reactions: KennethS
Best thing about teslafi is being able to schedule commands on the car. E.g when at home on a Friday and the poweris connected increase the charge level to 90% to give you plenty for the weekend. If it’s a weekday, set the charge level to 75% or when at work, heat the car for 15 mins so it’s defrosted and warm by the time you are ready to leave.

basically, you can use it as a more advanced scheduler in addition to the stats and drive records mentioned above