Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the chance for the Performance version to come with air suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also wish this to be true. But I would think that there would need to be an additional premium on the price to account for air suspension.

My wish list is that we could include air suspension as an option if not standard and a hitch on delivery.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Tesla does unexpected things all the time; that’s part of why they are who they are.

Having said that, I would rate this as a very low probability. It isn’t about the sales price, it’s about the platform. The Y is based heavily on the 3, and I haven’t seen any evidence that Tesla has ever developed an air suspension system for that platform.

If they haven’t, it won’t make financial sense to develop one just for the Performance Y; it might add some sales and get some people to move up the Y options, but I doubt they would make back the development cost.

It’s also unlikely that they will ever sell a coil spring version of the Cybertruck, for similar reasons. The savings in parts won’t be enough to justify development, at the lower price point it would be sold at.

Cybertruck is also expected to be much cheaper to produce than other vehicles of similar size/weight, so comparing costs to it is suspect.

Zero chance. Cybertruck is the hot topic for Tesla now, Y got sandwiched and ignored between 3 and Cyber Truck. in mind of general population Y is a inevitable product that would come eventually, creativity doesn't not apply on a car that supportly to be practical. so what we are getting now will be a boring crossover SUV with no surprises at all. bad for us who is waiting, good for Tesla since Y is making theirs life easier before Cyber Truck madness.

but this is it, Waterloo for Tesla, expected slow sales for Y and arrival of competitions in SUV segments will eventually drain Tesla's cash flow sooner than they expected. not counting possibilities of blowing rockets from SpaceX, which may accelerate process. in 2022. which is year of water tiger (bad omen for fire=rocket and water=metal) We will start facing undelivered promises of autopilot, shortage of services, and inevitable demise of brand. what a bright future ahead

The Model Y will likely be the most popular and the highest margin vehicle Tesla sells. They're not going to add any more expense to the manufacturing of the car. Like Model 3, the Performance version will be mostly vanity and not a lot of substance over the Long Range / AWD spec.

If there was air suspension I would be placing an order today to upgrade my Model 3.... I find the ride in the M3 too rough for me for a long period of time. I much prefer the ride in my Model X.

My air suspension-equipped Model S was recently in the shop for a week, so I was driving my wife's X a lot. I much prefer driving my S over the X, but after a week in the X and finally getting back into my S, I was shocked at how much stiffer the suspension in my S is. Both have air suspension too. Anyway, I agree, the X is a really plush ride. :)

but this is it, Waterloo for Tesla, expected slow sales for Y and arrival of competitions in SUV segments will eventually drain Tesla's cash flow sooner than they expected. not counting possibilities of blowing rockets from SpaceX, which may accelerate process. in 2022. which is year of water tiger (bad omen for fire=rocket and water=metal) We will start facing undelivered promises of autopilot, shortage of services, and inevitable demise of brand. what a bright future ahead

and Merry Christmas and best wishes to all?

The Model Y will likely be the most popular and the highest margin vehicle Tesla sells. They're not going to add any more expense to the manufacturing of the car. Like Model 3, the Performance version will be mostly vanity and not a lot of substance over the Long Range / AWD spec.

With approximately a 30% reduction in 0 to 60 time I will take that vanity :0)