Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the 'high-pwr 2-charger'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-9-17_18-44-7.png

Here is my invoice with the 72 amp charger upgrade.

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-17_18-43-47.png
    upload_2020-9-17_18-43-47.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 56
I don't know for sure on the terminology but I am guessing it means those cars have an additional AC charger. Early on Tesla allowed two as an option but later eliminated it. It would give you a maximum of 72 amps instead of 36 amps.
It's actually a 3rd module in the charger, allowing you to charge at 72A instead of 48A for level 2 charging. It requires either a high amperage destination connector or a HPWC (or other capable EVSE) connected with at least a 90A breaker for the full 72A.

It used to be an option, but is no longer available. Probably not that useful for most people, but can be helpful if your only option is L2 charging and you have the panel capacity to support it. Depending on the mfg date of the Model X, it may be available as an upgrade from the SC for approx $1,900 USD.

Last edited:
Actually, OP hasn't stated the age of the vehicle. Early on, you could charge at 40A or 80A depending on whether or not you had the dual charger. I'm not sure what month/year they switched to 48A or 72A charging.

ETA: I'm going to leave this comment here, but I believe the 80A charging option may have went away before the Model X was released. It seems reasonable to assume OP is looking at a Model X since the post is in a Model X forum.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
The 72 amp charger was an option on earlier X's (I have one) but it only works on the older wall connector the gen 3 wall connector only supports 48amp charging (60 amp breaker). So even if you get the higher amp charger you most likely won't be able to take advantage of it unless you are able to get the older wall connector used from somewhere.

Reactions: VikH
The 72 amp charger was an option on earlier X's (I have one) but it only works on the older wall connector the gen 3 wall connector only supports 48amp charging (60 amp breaker). So even if you get the higher amp charger you most likely won't be able to take advantage of it unless you are able to get the older wall connector used from somewhere.
It may also still be possible to get a third party AC charger and use the adapter. That is, assuming 3rd party AC chargers can support amperage that high.

Actually, OP hasn't stated the age of the vehicle. Early on, you could charge at 40A or 80A depending on whether or not you had the dual charger. I'm not sure what month/year they switched to 48A or 72A charging.

ETA: I'm going to leave this comment here, but I believe the 80A charging option may have went away before the Model X was released. It seems reasonable to assume OP is looking at a Model X since the post is in a Model X forum.

I'm looking at a 2017 75D