Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the least attractive color for Model 3, from your observations?

What is the least attractive color for Model 3 you've seen in the wild?

• Pearl White Multi-Coat

Votes: 71 9.8%
  • Silver Metallic

Votes: 179 24.8%
  • Solid Black

Votes: 161 22.3%
  • Midnight Silver Metallic

Votes: 86 11.9%
  • Deep Blue Metallic

Votes: 71 9.8%
  • Red Metallic

Votes: 36 5.0%
  • I like them all

Votes: 119 16.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the configuration page, all six colors look legit. Possibly because it shows the car from the side. So you dither for a little bit between Surgical White, Base Price Back, Fire Brigade Red, Just Like Your Neighbor's Model S Silver and Smurf Blue, before, hopefully, settling on Space X Gray or whatever it's called.

Then you start noticing Model 3s in the wild pulling up in your read view mirror or backed in at the parking structure of the mall, and you think to yourself: "Boy, is that an ugly color for the good looking car! Am I glad I didn't pick THAT."

What color Model 3 are you most likely looking at?

There's no "ugly" color. I do think flat white can be boring, but I like white pearl. Not a fan of red normally, but the pearl red is beautiful. Blue can go wrong and probably would have been my choice, but I like the blue Tesla has.

So, my choice would be that dark grey. Not cuz it's ugly, just that I find it the most "boring". And yes, I remembered the standard black paint, but I like the murdered out look and black pretty much always looks good.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X
There is no ugly color on the web page, I agree. In real life, there is at least one.

A guy at the office bought a dark grey. May not look like a million bucks, but $59,000 for sure. Plus it's the only color that goes with the idiosyncratic (didn't know how to spell "goofy") Aero covers. Saw a few blacks in the wild. Look sharp, almost made me think about saving $1,000. Haven't seen silver, red or blue. White kills my soul. There is nothing "pearl" about it when you see it on the road. Maybe when it's parked, and freshly washed, and you get to examine it from a certain angle.

I’ve seen all the colors parked near my office. From worst to best
MSM - I have no idea why this is the most popular “color”. So boring.
Silver - blah. Better than MSM though.
Black - Looks good
White - Looks great. Love pearlescent white. My last car was this color.
Blue - beautiful
Red - the best!

I wish they would offer more colors. I guess everyone wants a shade of gray these days :(

Last edited:
Reactions: MissyMcBee
I live in the same city as a service/delivery center. By now, I've seen all the colors a lot. And I have two white pearl cars. I'm pretty attuned to the differences in the various white pearls out there. The Tesla one isn't the best, but it's certainly not the worst.

Let's just say I disagree with you on everything. Even the bit about the aero wheels.

My list from worst to best:
MSM - very boring, and doesn't show off the metallic in the paint and is too matchy matchy with the aero wheels

then...
Silver - kinda boring, but at least you can see the lines of the car a lot better than the MSM.
Black - sleek, stealthy, goes with everything.
Blue - pretty, but I'm just not totally into it
White - clean and pretty
Red - beautiful. Would consider it a lot more if it didn't get to a billion degrees here

I’ve seen all the colors parked near my office. From worst to best
MSM - I have no idea why this is the most popular “color”. So boring.

Agree - I don't think this color every really stands out in any way. So common now, it's becoming boring.

I don't like the Red either - I like the color, but I've seen two in person, and the paint application doesn't seem as smooth as I would like. It seems to have a little bit of texture or waviness to it. All of the reflections are not crisp.

Though I think Blue is the sharpest, I've had a metallic blue car for 12 years now, so want something different.
I'm leaning towards the Sliver.

MSM gets my vote for least interesting.

I think sales answer this for you. Blue and MSM are what people find the most attractive and red the least.

Sales may not reflect attractiveness. I really like the Model 3 in red. But I've owned a red car before and I don't want a car that stands out that much.

For this vote, I went with silver. There is a local silver 3 and I really don't like it with the dark 18" wheels. (I think it looks fine with the 19's or any aftermarket silver wheel.)

I will say I have seen way worse colors from lime green to pink out there. I think the M3 colors play it very safe, however here is my opinion.

Worst

Silver- looks like the car is primered and not painted (sorry silver owners not a fan). It seems like every BMW and Toyota is silver these days.
MSM- everyone has some sort of shade of gray these days. Out of 12 cars that park next to my building at work 8 of them are gray

Black -I don't like washing my car ever few days

Red- Looks nice but never considered it. I am just not a red car person.

I debated between pearl white and Blue and picked blue.

I can't stand the aero wheels either and it killed me to spend an extra 1500 on sport wheels. I considered just permanently popping off the aero colors but I don't like black rims.

Regardless of the colour I want. In Ontario, with the announcement by Tesla of the full production switch to the "P" AWD Model 3 only, are the orders for the AWD Model 3 off the books for the present time? With that in mind should I change my order to the 2 wheel drive to ensure getting the Rebate? It looks unlikely that getting the AWD-non-P model before September would be unlikely. The P model will not be eligible for the rebate. Comments?

Maybe the first time in history a question has been rated "Disagree" by three people.

I didn't "disagree" but I don't think the poll is very generous with its options. I don't much like the negative approach to the question either, I prefer to look at what everyone's favourite colour is, not the "ugliest" one.

And for me, I too find a lot of the colours (or shades) too dull and unexciting. Black looks nice enough to me when it's clean, but as a black car owner I am staying clear of that. For me it's between red and blue. I will see some in person first hand when I visit SF later in the year. I personally really like the blue in the sunshine, I think it looks lovely. But I tend to like the red in all light, sort of preferring the darker look in slightly dimmer lighting if anything.

Is this another color preference post? Sigh. There is no objective answer to this question, so what's the point? I'd never buy a "normal" silver colored car, and I'd have preferred a dark red/burgundy, but that wasn't an option. I have MSM, which contrasts well with sport wheels. But that, you see, is purely personal preference.

By asking which color is ugliest, it seems like you're just trying to bait people for a response. Perhaps I failed by taking that bait.

Reactions: mspohr
I think the Model 3 looks good in any color. Enough-so that I can't decide. I'm hoping my wife decides when the time comes. Otherwise, I'm picking out of a hat. I would just get black and save the $1,000, but it's too hard to keep clean.

On the subject of clean, in my experience, red cars look shiny even when they aren't perfectly clean.

This could be helpful:

mhsdFYd-s5YWoDAta6VHCkBcMY3TEMJFnDXnJRiNTHA.jpg

This could be helpful:

mhsdFYd-s5YWoDAta6VHCkBcMY3TEMJFnDXnJRiNTHA.jpg
I really like the chart (never seen it before), but again it shows the car from the side, and every color, save for perhaps silver, looks legit. REALLY helpful in evaluating Aero wheels impact on the whole look.

However, the idea for this post came to me as I was observing a white Model 3 in the rear view mirror. I don't love the 3's face, and the dark colors do a decent job minimizing it. While the white and probably the silver accentuate it.

I think the Model 3 looks good in any color. Enough-so that I can't decide. I'm hoping my wife decides when the time comes. Otherwise, I'm picking out of a hat. I would just get black and save the $1,000, but it's too hard to keep clean.

On the subject of clean, in my experience, red cars look shiny even when they aren't perfectly clean.
The black ones I am seeing look surprisingly good. Even wife thought so. I might have picked black if I had seen them in the wild in time. At the very least, I would be spared the spousal disapproval. Cleanliness aspect did not occur to me. I imagine the silver hides dirt the best, but you would have to pay me $1000 to pick it, and even that might not be enough.