Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the max $ amount you can pay Tesla with a Credit Card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either for a lease down payment or a loan down payment what is the maximum amount I can put on a credit card to pay the amount due on delivery to Tesla?

This is about convenience, as in my case I always pay the full balance of the Credit Card at the end of every month so there is no hit with high interest rate. Also, for some, might be a good way to get extra "credit card miles / points" etc.

It's a great way to get points/miles. We do this with most vehicle purchases and have been successful doing up to $5,000 on the credit card. I don't think we did this with Tesla, however, as adding the a credit card payment to the check down payment and financing would have unnecessarily complicated the process.

Reactions: ambudriver03
Probably if you wanted to pay for FSD separately you could do it by credit card, but Tesla definitely won't take a large payment by card. They'd eat 2 to 3% in fees.

I bought a truck from GM a few years ago and they let me use my amex to make my down payment (10k) (I literally just wanted the points and amex already had told me it would go through).

Back when they were doing the 2500 order deposits I guess you could have dumped that on a "credit card"

Probably if you wanted to pay for FSD separately you could do it by credit card, but Tesla definitely won't take a large payment by card. They'd eat 2 to 3% in fees.

I bought a truck from GM a few years ago and they let me use my amex to make my down payment (10k) (I literally just wanted the points and amex already had told me it would go through).

Back when they were doing the 2500 order deposits I guess you could have dumped that on a "credit card"
Very true. I regret not ordering when the order deposit was 2500 (so i could put that on a card). Now I gotta shell it out cash prior to delivery.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I think I did 3k for the exact purpose OP is mentioning (extra points on the card I use). I also pay it off at the end of the month. I have done this with other car dealers. Normally 3-4 or even 5k is ok depending on how you word it to the "car dealer". Tesla might or might not be different, but with a regular car dealer you, you never "ask" what you can put down. You "tell" them what you want to do.

Again, with other dealers, you say something like:

"By the way, I will need to put 4k of this on this credit card to make this work for my finances... otherwise I need to postpone buying this car" They always take it.

Now, with tesla its different, but I put 2.5k on my credit card down, and then another 1k when I picked up I think.

Reactions: ambudriver03
On the "make a payment page" it onky
Very true. I regret not ordering when the order deposit was 2500 (so i could put that on a card). Now I gotta shell it out cash prior to delivery.

I was even contemplating not getting fsd rolled into my loan and paying for it separately so I could get points.

However, with having it on my original invoice as a separate line item and rolled into my loan protects me in case the vehicle is ever damaged or totalled.

I don't know if there have been enough totalled Teslas with FSD and whether those owners were made whole.

I didn't want FSD to be "an add-on" for insurance purposes.

Just think @skydreamer, if you ordered when it was a $2.5K deposit you would have your car right now.... OH, it looks like that isn't a true statement...lol.
Sorry, just trying to make light of our crappy situation :)

• Funny
Reactions: skydreamerjae
Just think @skydreamer, if you ordered when it was a $2.5K deposit you would have your car right now.... OH, it looks like that isn't a true statement...lol.
Sorry, just trying to make light of our crappy situation :)
Yeah, I ordered when it was $2500 and I put it on my credit card. Assuming my car does ever get delivered, I have a negative balance at this point ( price changes after my order) so I assume Tesla will just deduct it from the monthly loan payment, not sure.

I haven't tried it myself but if you really want to pay for the car with your credit card there is a service called "Plastiq" that lets you pay them the amount you need and they can give you account information like you're paying with ACH or even write and send a check. There are certain limitations and a 2-3% fee involved, but sometimes those fees are worth it depending on your particular credit card offers.

I read some questionable reviews of the Plastiq service (I'm guessing there are threads on here if you want to investigate).

We do the same payoff every month and reap the miles with our card, too, but Tesla would only take check, wire transfer, etc.

(What I found particularly insane was we paid for our car in full at time of purchase and they took a *personal* check from us for the full amount.)

I read some questionable reviews of the Plastiq service (I'm guessing there are threads on here if you want to investigate).

We do the same payoff every month and reap the miles with our card, too, but Tesla would only take check, wire transfer, etc.

(What I found particularly insane was we paid for our car in full at time of purchase and they took a *personal* check from us for the full amount.)
FWIW, a lot of dealers I've talked to take a personal check. They generally will sometimes require a credit pull too though.