TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What is the normal battery usage for the M3 LR

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by seyclone, Aug 5, 2018.

1. seyclone

seyclone Member

Just recently took delivery on my Model 3. I've only put 500 miles on it so far. We Drove from home base (Melville, NY) to Paramus NJ yesterday, a distance of ~46 miles. For the first time, I zeroed out the odometer before the trip to see what the battery usage was.

The results were: 95 miles, 20 KwH, 204 W/Mi. My question is: What is considered normal for the Model 3? I've searched, but maybe I'm asking the wrong question. I can't seem to find stats for power usage.

2. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

Depends on how you drive and the driving conditions and the terrain.

I’ve done trips with it as low as 186 and other times as high as 276. My average over 17.5K+ is 226.

3. seyclone

seyclone Member

Thanks, Krugerrand. The route I took involved crossing Manhattan, and going over the George Washington bridge, so speeds were generally under 50MPH, even 40 in some areas. It would be interesting to see what usage details are for other drivers in different driving situations. I wonder if there is a forum string with this info? I did a number of searches, but came up blank.

4. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

There has been talk on this topic already in the Model 3 forum but the search function here isn’t usually super helpful when tracking down specific topics and I can’t remember any thread titles; it has been awhile since people have been talking about.

5. BestHand

BestHand Member

call me stupid, but I can not understand. Real distance is about 46 miles. Energy spent about 20KwH. Computer calculated distance 95 miles and 204 WH/Mi. Something wrong here. What your odometer shows? Is 95 miles some computer calculated value?

6. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

204 wh/mi is extremely good. My lifetime average is 254 wh/mi which I'm super happy with. I do a 160 mile trip fairly often where my energy usage is 314 wh/mi... Setting the cruise at 85 mph will do that though :)

7. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

(20kwh/95miles)x1000 ain't 204 w/miles ... per hand calcs.

8. BestHand

BestHand Member

Yeah, it is about 210 Wh/miles, but the thing is how come he get 95 miles when distance is ~46?

9. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

204 is crazily efficient. I average around 250-260, my lifetime at the moment is 255. But I do tend to drive 10-15 above the speed limit.

You will find that your Model 3 is the most efficient when you can drive around 40mph. Efficiency starts to go down a bit once you go above 50, and more noticeable when you get above 60.

10. seyclone

seyclone Member

Guys - its the round trip. It was 46 miles one way. The discrepancy is in taking a slightly shorter route on the return drive

11. seyclone

seyclone Member

Reason for the high efficiency was that speed was rarely above 50 MPH. Anybody living in the NY Metro are will understand.

12. BestHand

BestHand Member

Thanks, now it makes sense.

13. VLTWGGN

VLTWGGN Member

I’ve put about 160mi on my P3D and so far I’m doing 300-330 Wh/mi with the 20” wheels. Mostly highway driving/minimal stop go, cruise set to 75.

14. ronm2948

ronm2948 Member

FWIW ... if the battery is 75KWh, a range of 310 miles would correspond to 241.9 Wh/mile

15. VLTWGGN

VLTWGGN Member

I’ve somewhat accepted that with my car at least, the max range for road trips between supercharges will be 260-280mi at best for highway driving. Coming from an eGolf with an 83mi EPA range, I’m quite ok with that!!

16. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

I plan on 270 miles of max range for my trips. I can tolerate losing 40 miles per charge if I can get to my destination quicker. The car is also so incredibly stable at high speeds; it feels like a German car to me. 105-110 mph is rock solid with this car... it gets horrid economy at that speed but it's fun to do once in awhile :)

17. Omaha

Omaha Member

I put about 100 miles per day on mine and my average over the last 8,000 miles has been 299 Wh/mile, but most of my commute is at 85 mph, which does not translate to particularly low drag for any vehicle.