Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant drop in battery for few miles driven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have a question about the battery usage in my recently purchased 2022 Long Range Model Y. Yesterday, I charged the vehicle to 90%, and now I notice it's down to 56%. According to the car, I've covered 48 miles since charging, consuming 13 kWh (which averages to 274 Wh/mi). I'm puzzled by the significant drop in remaining battery percentage, considering only 13 kWh out of the 75 kWh battery pack has been utilized. What could be the reason for this discrepancy?

have a question about the battery usage in my recently purchased 2022 Long Range Model Y. Yesterday, I charged the vehicle to 90%, and now I notice it's down to 56%. According to the car, I've covered 48 miles since charging, consuming 13 kWh (which averages to 274 Wh/mi). I'm puzzled by the significant drop in remaining battery percentage, considering only 13 kWh out of the 75 kWh battery pack has been utilized. What could be the reason for this discrepancy?
Do you have Sentry Mode turned on?
What does the information on the Energy page show you?

Your battery contains energy, not miles. You can consume energy in a lot of ways without ever driving a single mile. If you preheat the cabin before using the car, you'll spend energy. If you leave sentry mode, the car will stay awake and consume a lot more energy than when it's allowed to fall asleep (low power mode). Opening the mobile app on your phone wakes the car up for a while, spending energy. Sitting in the car keeps it awake.
Doing multiple small trips will cost more energy that a single long one... so you cannot compare consumption that way. When you say "the touchscreen" consumed energy, I don't believe it's the actual touchscreen... Maybe you can tell us what is the heading for that line in the energy report?

Sentry mode is turned off. Energy shows that the touch screen consumed a whooping 12% of the battery (compared 36% for driving). I think that's because I was playing with it in the car when parked, trying to find settings, etc.
That definitely will do it.

When the car is not being used, it steps through a couple of different idle or sleep modes. Basically portions of the car get powered down. Sitting in the car with the screen on means that the car is still fully awake.

Let the car go to sleep and the power draw drops significantly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
That definitely will do it.

When the car is not being used, it steps through a couple of different idle or sleep modes. Basically portions of the car get powered down. Sitting in the car with the screen on means that the car is still fully awake.

Let the car go to sleep and the power draw drops significantly.

That said, I've sat in the car for over an hour an not seen the battery percentage drop. Keeping the car awake on its own isn't going to consume 30% of your full battery.

This is likely cumulative. Waking the car up regularly, sitting in the car with the heat on, preheating the cabin, etc are where those electrons went.

Also be aware that third-party apps that you allow to connect to the car can be responsible for keeping it awake.

Check your cabin heat protection. My buddy has same issue with his until he turned off cabin heat protection. Give that a try.